Dirk K

Tribal Chief

Dirk Koetter: Michael Turner didn’t have a chance on majority of runs

After Sunday’s 31-27 loss to the Saints, Falcons center Todd McClure took issue with the idea that poor blocking was the sole place to point blame for the team’s lackluster showing in short yardage near the New Orleans end zone.

“It is in every aspect of it,” McClure said. “But we get the ball on the one, we are expected to get it in. I just get frustrated sometimes the past couple years. There’s more to it than just lining up and blocking the guys wherever they line up. And that’s it. I can’t talk about it anymore.”

One imagines that two of the things that McClure refers to when he says “there’s more to it” are the running back and the play calling. Offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter is the guy calling the plays and he doesn’t think that Michael Turner was to blame for the team’s inability to punch the ball into the end zone. He also doesn’t think that it would have made any difference if the team went with Jacquizz Rodgers in those situations because whoever was running the ball wouldn’t have had a chance.

“We only ran the ball 18 times. We need to run the ball more efficiently as a team. It doesn’t matter who the runner is,” Koetter said, via D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “When you look at the tape on the majority of Mike Turner’s runs in the game the other day, he had no chance. We had free runners at the point of attack.”

Koetter wasn’t pointing the finger solely at the offensive line as he cited multiple reasons, including coaching, for the team’s failure to produce in short yardage. He didn’t mention Turner specifically, although it isn’t hard to notice that he isn’t the same back that he was a few years ago.

Pointing fingers isn’t going to fix the problem all by itself, though, especially when there seem to be no shortage of places to point them in Atlanta.

I don't like the sounds of this. Seems like Turner is getting none of the blame and I think he deserves 70% of it. You gotta exploded up to the line and drive your legs into the endzone. Not tip toe up to the line and fall over when you get breathed on.

Noticed this alot with our blocking there aren't really holes for Turner to run through when we set up in power run formations.

In my view its best to go 3 wide and spread the opposition defense out then let Turner or Quizz go to work.

I just said something similar. Stop trying to run like we used to always in the power I. Try running out of the gun and different sets. I mean what we are doing is not working for the Oline. Its not working for the backs. It sure as heII aint working for the team.

Noticed this alot with our blocking there aren't really holes for Turner to run through when we set up in power run formations.

In my view its best to go 3 wide and spread the opposition defense out then let Turner or Quizz go to work.

I semi sorta kinda agree with this. I was actually telling someone this at work. Either go 3 wide or set up in our 3rd down bunch package and make them think we are gonna go to gonzo or hd but run it right up the middle. Actually I would try a pass first then line up in the same exact formation and run it.

Turner is NOT a threat to bounce outside. He has virtually no wiggle, little burst within his first 5+ yards, minimal power if not at full speed (which takes about 10 yards untouched). He exhibits little vision, and even less willingness to cut back, or speed to do so. He is so easy to defend it hurts....

Defenses dont even need to defend outside the OT, just plug the line between the OTs and its over, espially in short yardage. This almost always leaves one or even two D players shooting gaps that Turner cant begin to avoid.

I just said something similar. Stop trying to run like we used to always in the power I. Try running out of the gun and different sets. I mean what we are doing is not working for the Oline. Its not working for the backs. It sure as heII aint working for the team.

He's not built for spread running... historically he's been best in runs to the outside particularly to the left in handoffs and tosses with a big smart Fullback... he is not FAST enough nor AGILE enough to run out of the spread formation because all the corners need to do is get in, lay the biggest hit they can possibly lay in the situation and if #33 breaks it his speed will be GREATLY diminished allowing another corner or a safety or linebacker to make that tackle. He needs 2x WR, 1 TE, 1 FB sets in order to move. You heard me, he needs straight Pro style offensive to succeed.

He's not built for spread running... historically he's been best in runs to the outside particularly to the left in handoffs and tosses with a big smart Fullback... he is not FAST enough nor AGILE enough to run out of the spread formation because all the corners need to do is get in, lay the biggest hit they can possibly lay in the situation and if #33 breaks it his speed will be GREATLY diminished allowing another corner or a safety or linebacker to make that tackle. He needs 2x WR, 1 TE, 1 FB sets in order to move. You heard me, he needs straight Pro style offensive to succeed.

We have more backs then Turner. Its about time we used them all and stopped the crap that isnt working.

Our team too afraid to call out the culprit.

One of the coaches just needs to say we need to block better up front and that's it

Appears they truly don't believe turner is the culprit. Which I semi-agree with, our Oline is absolute trash

And It infuriates me McClure tried calling out someone else when he's playing like a little b*tch

Good call. I agree. I was thinking this during the game. Our run game is so obvious and screams "we are running now!"...The Saints just loaded up and went off on our line.

Our team too afraid to call out the culprit.

One of the coaches just needs to say we need to block better up front and that's it

Appears they truly don't believe turner is the culprit. Which I semi-agree with, our Oline is absolute trash

And It infuriates me McClure tried calling out someone else when he's playing like a little b*tch

Let's not get on Todd McClure, he may not be HoF but he's still been faithful and the mainstay of this team for literally YEARS. If Michael Turner is running off the Guards and Tackles that's not the CENTER's fault... he can call whatever he wants but at the end of the day it's mostly up to Blalock and the Guards to drive Turner up the middle. Unless we're seriously saying that Justin Blalock has lost a step we can't blame him either. McClure and Blalock are safe from criticism.

Thank you. I've been screaming this ish.

Quizz is definitely shifty enough to run out of different sets and Smith is pretty dang fast. I don't see it hurting to at least try Smith out. I mean I know Turner would have trouble with it , to me it can't be any worse then what we have done so far. I am sure they probably practice this type of thing. Its just the coaches not feeling confident in calling it. We need something.

Quizz is definitely shifty enough to run out of different sets and Smith is pretty dang fast. I don't see it hurting to at least try Smith out. I mean I know Turner would have trouble with it , to me it can't be any worse then what we have done so far. I am sure they probably practice this type of thing. Its just the coaches not feeling confident in calling it. We need something.

Agree with Smith. Who the **** knew who Ivory was a few years ago? There are plenty of examples where guys come out of nowhere to lend a hand and give a team a spark. Even if it's just a handful of carries. ****, just a look! It can't hurt what's already broke.

Let's not get on Todd McClure, he may not be HoF but he's still been faithful and the mainstay of this team for literally YEARS. If Michael Turner is running off the Guards and Tackles that's not the CENTER's fault... he can call whatever he wants but at the end of the day it's mostly up to Blalock and the Guards to drive Turner up the middle. Unless we're seriously saying that Justin Blalock has lost a step we can't blame him either. McClure and Blalock are safe from criticism.

Love what McClure's done for this team for 16 years but don't think it's fair to absolve them from criticism for seniority. Blalock recently hasn't performed well at all in run blocking, sort of the same drop off Clabo's had in pass protection.

If we're gonna save people from criticism for what they've done Michael turner should be on that list, was one of the main kinks for 4 years that helped this franchise do a complete 180

Love what McClure's done for this team for 16 years but don't think it's fair to absolve them from criticism for seniority. Blalock recently hasn't performed well at all in run blocking, sort of the same drop off Clabo's had in pass protection.

If we're gonna save people from criticism for what they've done Michael turner should be on that list, was one of the main kinks for 4 years that helped this franchise do a complete 180

Which is why Michael Turner is the next man I predict to be released from the team... especially given the fact that he that legal trouble and he's falling off.

Which is why Michael Turner is the next man I predict to be released from the team... especially given the fact that he that legal trouble and he's falling off.

Turner might be cut but it won't be until the off season. They will not cut him right now in the middle of the season. There is zero chance of that. They would of picked up a back in trade or something had that ever been a possibility.

I don't like the sounds of this. Seems like Turner is getting none of the blame and I think he deserves 70% of it. You gotta exploded up to the line and drive your legs into the endzone. Not tip toe up to the line and fall over when you get breathed on.

lol- have you ever ran a ball before. you follow your blockers. jesus christ. moron.