New Stadium Vs Hd

Tribal Chief

Goodell concerned that HD is so good, there’s no need to buy tickets

For tens of millions of Americans, there’s nothing better than spending 12 hours or so every Sunday sitting at home watching NFL games on TV. That’s great for the NFL’s bottom line.

But the ideal situation for the NFL is for those home viewers to be watching games played in sold-out stadiums. And NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says he’s concerned that so many people enjoy the TV experience — especially as more and more people buy high-definition televisions — that fewer fans are willing to buy tickets to watch the games in person.

“One of our biggest challenges in the league is the experience at home,” Goodell said. “HD is only going to get better.”

Goodell made his comments before a group of Falcons fans in Atlanta, where the team and the league are asking for the city’s help in building a new stadium to replace the Georgia Dome. Goodell said that a good facility is the key to keeping the fans coming, but his statement raises an obvious follow-up question: If the fans are already perfectly happy to watch at home, and HD TV is only going to keep improving and keep making the at-home experience better, why should the fans support the use of taxpayer money to build a stadium?

As it is, many fans see no reason to spend their tax dollars or their disposable income to support watching games from the stands because they’re perfectly happy watching games from their couches.

And NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says he’s concerned that so many people enjoy the TV experience — especially as more and more people buy high-definition televisions — that fewer fans are willing to buy tickets to watch the games in person.

Maybe if people didn't have to take out a second mortgage for season tickets they'd have more butts in the seats.

Game day experience in dome is 1000 times better than sitting on couch and watching the game in HD. It depends on the personal choice.

My personal choice is HD TV, because instant replay is much better and the food is way cheeper

and my parking is free and the bathroom is always close and i don't have some drunk screaming

in my ear even when nothing is going on or standing in front of me for no reason, but other than that, you make a good point. It's just my opinion.

My personal choice is HD TV, because instant replay is much better and the food is way cheeper

and my parking is free and the bathroom is always close and i don't have some drunk screaming

in my ear even when nothing is going on or standing in front of me for no reason, but other than that, you make a good point. It's just my opinion.

And you yourself can get slobbery drunk with out paying 8 bucks a pop or offending others.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

I have an idea to sell tickets.

TAILGATE....but IDK anything.

easier to get out

put the dome in an are where there would be no traffic when we leave.

make events for tailgaters.

stop charging 8 bucks on beer.

do things that you cannot do when sitting at home.

make it hard to resell tickets. make it where the person who sells it has to cut his ticket price in half or else force law inforcement.

- but do allow a few sections for rival fans only. and never allow people to buy season tickets in those few areas.

play games on the big screen while we are waiting for the 4:00 game/8:20 game.

maybe allow people to bring a two unopened containers inside (beer included.)

have an area in the tailgating area in front of the building for falcon fans only.

put the fans on TV when it is a televised game....talking about the tailgating pregame, like they do with college.

basically they need a huge area for parking in the middle of no where. some where way outside of Atlanta, yet near the interstate....hmm flowery branch sounds good.

- have a huge area to tailgate.

- have huge area to have events in front of the building.

but sadly something tells me they will never do any of this or listen to the fans. they will just raise ticket prices, take our tax money if we like it or not, and then ***** about people staying at home to watch HD.

side note: does goodell have a **** clue what ticket prices where 20 years ago????? he might want to look it up and then see what people made on average and then do the same thing for 2012.....he might find out PRICES are more of a concern for problems then HD.

If they foulcons are winning in the dome then they should keep playing in the dome. Why change a good trend. IMO if there is money involved then there must be some manipulation involved as well. This explains the 8-1 record and the winning back to back to back seasons. Someones trying to sell the peeps of Ga. on a new dome and has polished up and shined the foulcons to get the support.

Dallas has the new stadium/dome and cant win in it. Seems they did well before it was built.

HMMM

I have an idea to sell tickets.

TAILGATE....but IDK anything.

easier to get out

put the dome in an are where there would be no traffic when we leave.

make events for tailgaters.

stop charging 8 bucks on beer.

do things that you cannot do when sitting at home.

make it hard to resell tickets. make it where the person who sells it has to cut his ticket price in half or else force law inforcement.

- but do allow a few sections for rival fans only. and never allow people to buy season tickets in those few areas.

play games on the big screen while we are waiting for the 4:00 game/8:20 game.

maybe allow people to bring a two unopened containers inside (beer included.)

have an area in the tailgating area in front of the building for falcon fans only.

put the fans on TV when it is a televised game....talking about the tailgating pregame, like they do with college.

basically they need a huge area for parking in the middle of no where. some where way outside of Atlanta, yet near the interstate....hmm flowery branch sounds good.

- have a huge area to tailgate.

- have huge area to have events in front of the building.

but sadly something tells me they will never do any of this or listen to the fans. they will just raise ticket prices, take our tax money if we like it or not, and then ***** about people staying at home to watch HD.

side note: does goodell have a **** clue what ticket prices where 20 years ago????? he might want to look it up and then see what people made on average and then do the same thing for 2012.....he might find out PRICES are more of a concern for problems then HD.

Agreed. What Goodell doesn't seem to realize is that HD television isn't the problem its the current solution to the ticket price problem.

At times being a season ticket holder and going to all the games is an amazing experience but some "other" fans usually ruin my experience. Price of everything inside the stadium is 2.5 times normal and season tickets aren't cheap, jumbo trons are always a plus, fan events while tailgating.

Edited by ICD

I don't get why we even need a new stadium. I love the Georgia Dome.

Because it seriously hurts the value of the team. If you were the owner, you'd be dying to have your own stadium.

It is true, though. Football (like basketball) is an experience best enjoyed at home. Not saying that the experience at the stadium is terrible, but you just get a better view when in front of a TV. Not only that, but if you are like me, there are 2 more TVs playing other games to fill in the down times.

It won't ever stop me from driving 11 hours to attend a Falcons game, but I get his point. Problem is that TV can cannibalize the stadium attendance. That's a business quandary.