Falcons Woes

OutkastFalcon

For starters I feel bad that so many of our fans seem ready to give up on this team. Kinda weak, but none the less this is a observation I have made, you may disagree but it is my observation. The Falcons decided that they needed to stop the pass, since that is what was killing them last year. They had no need to try and stop the run because they were a top ranked Defense against the run last season.

So the Falcons go out and get Asante and Mike Nolan to help them stop the bleeding from all of the big pass plays. Now we are descent against the pass but can not stop a run to save our life. The NFL is evolving again.. it is early in it but it is. The once great passing league of the NFL is slowly regressing to smash mouth run the ball. The Falcons are behind the curve. We grew a great passing team and devoted our off-season to stopping the pass, while other teams started thinking, with all these coverage guys we should be able to run. That is proving true.

I feel like the Falcons need to go with what they set out to do last season, be more explosive. Stop with this power running your team is not developed for and lets go with some sweeps and screens. give Quizz a chance to juke out some players on the edge. Let Julio run some jet sweeps. That will help with the passing game if we can start moving the defense from side to side, tire them out.

As for Defense, I said it in the off season, letting Lofton walk was a bad deal. He was our run defense... he did so much for the run that it is even more evident now. We need someone like him that is NOT a 3 down backer but a run stuffer. We usually go to a nickel against pass anyways so we can take out the extra backer for a larger safety.

I feel like Atlanta needs to start thinking ahead of the curve instead of following it.

How do you feel?

That is why I said we do not need the run it up the middle with turner, we need to move their defense back and forth. make them run around and get tired. Our passing game is good enough to get first downs and move the ball. Our key for the run game is to wear out the defense by moving them east to west, rather then right in our face.

I think we played as good in 2010 and 2011. Difference in our record is late game heroics. I don't think we're any better on offense, and we're somewhat better on defense, because of schemes that have confused QBs. This season is almost a carbon copy of 2010. Then we played the weak NFC West, this season it's the weak AFC West. And the NFC East is kinda stinky this year too, let's be honest.

But 8-1 is 8-1!