This Will Possibly Open Eyes

truefalcon

This represents the official tackle stats for last game with the Saints (May be typical from the beginning of season - don't know):

J. Babineaux 1-0 0.0 0 0 K. Biermann 1-2 0.0 0 0 R. Edwards 1-0 0.0 0 0 J. Abraham 0-1 0.0 0 0 C. Peters 0-1 0.0 0 0 V. Walker 0-4 0.0 0 0

Some conclusions to be drawn when the bulk of tackles occurred by LB, DBs, and Safeties.

Still believe in the dedication and drive of our team - this must change after release of Edwards. It must.

There is something very wrong with this defense when it comes to tackling. Granted they don't get to practice tackling any more due to the CBA, but these players have been taught the fundamentals of tackling since they were children. This comes up every week, Mike Smith mentions it often as something that will be corrected, but next game, same ol same ol. Either these players are completely undisciplined, they care but they just don't want to because it's a lot more difficult and painful than just taking an arm-swipe at a ball carrier or despite thousands and thousands of reps over many years, they're too stupid collectively and individually to remember how to wrap up and bring the ball carrier down from one play to the next. Maybe it's Mike Nolan's fault for not demanding they take care of the MOST BASIC aspect of playing defense. All these are unsavory, discouraging possibilities, maybe it's something entirely different I haven't listed, but something has gone terribly wrong and if it continues this team will get its azz kicked in the first round of the play-offs again if it even makes it to the play-offs. With no pass rush, no run defense and no tackling, how can this team hope to accomplish anything?

Edited by PokerSteve

They are more concerned in causing a fumble than tackling... If the D-line and LB's would have more pursuit to the runner with the ball, fumbles will happen.

I know they want to be heroes and knock the ball loose, but the first man to the ball carrier has to wrap the guy up and hope the second guy can jar the ball loose, because 999 times out of 1,000 you're not going to get the fumble. If the players can't figure out what the priorities are, then the coaches need to step up and do whatever it takes to make them play fundamentally sound football. That's not being done and it hasn't been done all season.

I know they want to be heroes and knock the ball loose, but the first man to the ball carrier has to wrap the guy up and hope the second guy can jar the ball loose, because 999 times out of 1,000 you're not going to get the fumble. If the players can't figure out what the priorities are, then the coaches need to step up and do whatever it takes to make them play fundamentally sound football. That's not being done and it hasn't been done all season.

My thoughts exactly!

There is something very wrong with this defense when it comes to tackling. Granted they don't get to practice tackling any more due to the CBA, but these players have been taught the fundamentals of tackling since they were children. This comes up every week, Mike Smith mentions it often as something that will be corrected, but next game, same ol same ol. Either these players are completely undisciplined, they care but they just don't want to because it's a lot more difficult and painful than just taking an arm-swipe at a ball carrier or despite thousands and thousands of reps over many years, they're too stupid collectively and individually to remember how to wrap up and bring the ball carrier down from one play to the next. Maybe it's Mike Nolan's fault for not demanding they take care of the MOST BASIC aspect of playing defense. All these are unsavory, discouraging possibilities, maybe it's something entirely different I haven't listed, but something has gone terribly wrong and if it continues this team will get its azz kicked in the first round of the play-offs again if it even makes it to the play-offs. With no pass rush, no run defense and no tackling, how can this team hope to accomplish anything?

Maybe we will be like the Giants. They stumble through the regular season, but once the playoffs stats their "want to" improves and they magicially block and tackle better while making fewer mistakes.

However, if we don't "want to" against the Saints when will we? I will say tackling was a bright spot against the C'boys. Maybe there is an attitude adjustment that was needed. Maybe Edwards was the big swing at making said adjustment.

Good post - concur. Very much looking forward to the Sidbury, Matthews, Massaquoi era, following departure (Timely) of R. Edwards.

I don't think there's a sense of urgency in terms of tackling. Only certain players you see that with (Decoud / Moore). On that long run Ivory had, I think Abraham could've dived and got him down by his ankles. Also, Asante Samuel seemed he didn't want any part of Ivory, he could've pushed him out of bounds at least but he gave some weak shove. On every play, they should be going out 100%.

I don't think there's a sense of urgency in terms of tackling. Only certain players you see that with (Decoud / Moore). On that long run Ivory had, I think Abraham could've dived and got him down by his ankles. Also, Asante Samuel seemed he didn't want any part of Ivory, he could've pushed him out of bounds at least but he gave some weak shove. On every play, they should be going out 100%.

Yeah, but wasn't it Moore who took the terrible angle next to the sideline that should have ended that run? I don't think it's as much urgency as techique and discipline...

I firmly support nearly all of the defensive changes by Nolan this year, but...say what you will about Van G., but there is no question that the tackling, across the board, was better last year...just saying. Nolan needs to get this fixed...soon!

In a perfect system a D-lineman will never make a tackle. A LB or SS will make the tackle at the line of scrimmage. Linemen are made to eat blocks and disrupt the play in the backfield. If that is all they do then they are very successful.

Football 101.

I was literally about to make the same comment. most of these posters havent studied football 101. d-lineman are supposed to take on blockers and the backers make the tackles. basic football

Someone please offer a little more insight on a play for me and tell me how you saw it. On the Saints touchdown where Robinson was stiff armed did he really give up 10 yards from the endzone or did the camera angle make it seem like the ball carrier was further away. That one play has bothered me since I saw it live and on a few highlights on espn yesterday.

I saw that from Asante on that Ivory run, but I see that all too often with him. Blatant half-azzed efforts like that should draw a hefty fine.

I was literally about to make the same comment. most of these posters havent studied football 101. d-lineman are supposed to take on blockers and the backers make the tackles. basic football

You're right. I wish I was more up on my Football IQ. I defer to your statement, and now understand that after all these years I really don't understand quality defenses. You should tell other teams' defensive lines who excel week after week in penetrating offensive lines and tackling with much greater success, that they don't understand basic "101" football.