LADBABY

We Were On Our Way To A Blow Out....

80 posts in this topic

This is stupid. You have to berate players for unnecessary penalties. Losing 15 yards after a huge momentum swing play due to celebrating is ********. You celebrate when you win. If you want to dance and celebrate, you do it by the bench, taunting their fans, not by the sideline in front of the refs.

Unless you want us to have a team like the Cowboys that doesn't live up to their hype/potential. Almost 1000 yards lost on 119 penalties through 9 games. Yeah, you'll win a lot of games losing over 100 yards to penalties every week...

Pure, unadulterated stupidity by Asante and Moore. Grow the eff up and act like you have some sense even if you have to fake it.

GENERALZOD likes this

Pure, unadulterated stupidity by Asante and Moore. Grow the eff up and act like you have some sense even if you have to fake it.

I agree, I'm just glad it happened now and hope it doesn't happen again, especially in the playoffs.

A 15 yard penalty after such a picture perfect start to the game is acceptable as long as that's the lone penalty for the game

Smitty just could've kept it at "I like what you did, but keep the celebrating over here next time"

A 15 yard penalty after such a picture perfect start to the game is acceptable as long as that's the lone penalty for the game

Smitty just could've kept it at "I like what you did, but keep the celebrating over here next time"

That was my thinking when I started this thread because he really tore into those guys

relentlessly. However, knowing Smitty and his staff they have been drilling this stuff into these

guys from the minute Goddell passes some kind of new rule. I imagine they are equally detailed

in explaining the consequences of useless penalties. So if players know what they are doing is

not part of the program and do it anyway they are in essence up in Mike Smith's face saying we

are going to "do what we do and to h... with you and your team." If you let that go you won't wind

up with much. I am going to plead temporary insanity for both sides and move on.

I hold Smitty Accountable as he is losing control of the team.

Andy Reid ver 2.0

It's impossible that this is NOT sarcasm...hopefully!

What I don't see anyone talking about is how the reaction by Smith not only affected the defense, but also the offense. Here we are, inside the 30, up 7, IF we put the ball in the end zone, that puts us up 14-0...the difference in the game? 4 points...the difference between a FG and a TD.

Eyes wide open, facing the facts: Until further notice, the Saints and Packers own us. (We broke the Eagles' spell, thank goodness.)

If we can't get a yard at the goal line against the Saints to win the game, after what happened last year in our building, and without Sean Payton, and after Bounty-Gate, and with them having the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL (31st against pass, 31st against rush), we all know, and every Falcons exec, coach and player knows that THE MONKEY IS STILL ON OUR BACKS.

IT is still not fixed.

We were playing really well. That pick was a sign of things to come. Smitty completely over reacted there. I didn't see much celebrating on any plays by the defense thereafter (not that there was much to celebrate). I was really surprised by his reaction. He went overboard and looked like a fool. I really would have preferred good ol' Smitty smiling like everyone else said and saying, "good job, but hey now, keep the celebrating on the sidelines". Coach himself always talks about the ebb and flows of a game, well Smitty, that sh!t you pulled was a big ol tide that took the wind out of our defenses sail. That wasn't a Smitty reaction to our players. That was a BVG type of reaction and one I hope I never see again. Nolan talks about it all the time. Don't make these guys think too much. Let them go out there and play. Save that sh!t for the locker room or on Monday.

We didn't lose because of his reaction, but it definitely altered our defensive players mood. 100%.

It was a BS call, As angry as I was at Asanate about the penalty, I think Smitty might have pushed it too far. He might have messed with the secondary's confidence.

I honestly think he is psyched out by the Saints. It worries me.

he was up set but smitty straighten thing out with them not being able to score in the red zone is what kill us .

That was a garbage call.

Well, every call against the Falcons is a garbage call...If you're a Falcon fan.

BS call but Smith way over reacted, you could tell by the way Asante, Moore and the other DBs took it that they thought he made too big of a deal out of it. He looked like a gigantic white haired red faced baby stomping up and down the sidelines, hollering at grown men with that pouty look on his face. Being beat by the Saints was embarrassing but not as much as seeing Smith behave like a 3 year old. Even without a coach the Saints still own Smith and he knows it. We can blame 22 & 25 for stalling the drive all we want but Smith is the one that ran Turner on 3rd & 1 knowing good and dayum well it wasn't going to work.

Did they even show a replay of what Moore and Samuels did to get the penalty? I sure didn't see it along with some of the other calls away from the ball. I thought Fox did a poor job of showing a bunch of our penalties.

If they did show it, does anyone have a link or gif showing what they did?

I absolutely hated it. I didn't even see the celebration I was too busy celebrating myself. Like OP said that interception was HUGE. We go up 14-0 and it's a completely different game.

But instead Mike Smith ruined the mood and it's not like we even got a first down anyway so the penalty didn't make a difference but his reaction definitely hurt. And it showed. Sigh

Wow. I can't believe those of you saying Smitty overreacted. Asante cost us 15 yards and perhaps a touchdown by celebrating ON THE FIELD. Get over to the sideline and celebrate all you want, but not on the field in front of the Saints players.

Only on this board would people get upset at Smitty and not Asante. Unreal.

Wow. I can't believe those of you saying Smitty overreacted. Asante cost us 15 yards and perhaps a touchdown by celebrating ON THE FIELD. Get over to the sideline and celebrate all you want, but not on the field in front of the Saints players.

Only on this board would people get upset at Smitty and not Asante. Unreal.

You really think he cost us a touchdown? The offense didnt even get a 1st down out of that drive.

You really think he cost us a touchdown? The offense didnt even get a 1st down out of that drive.

I said perhaps. Penalties change momentum, play calling, etc.

I said perhaps. Penalties change momentum, play calling, etc.

Having your head coach throw a tantrum on the sideline after a game breaking play can also change momentum.

I hold Smitty Accountable as he is losing control of the team.

Andy Reid ver 2.0

Yeah, and you are losing control of your rationality. Get a clue. Who do you want? Mora? Phillips? Reeves? Petrino???

There is one thing I'm certain of. Barring a MASSIVE collapse (i.e...losing the division with a 3 game lead), Mike Smith WILL be coach of the Falcons next season.

I was coaching my 12-year-old's basketball game today.   For us, it was a big game.

By the second quarter, we really had  things rolling.  We play an aggressive 1-3-1 zone that can put pressure on the ball all over the court,  and we had forced several turnovers that lead to fast-break points. 

We had another effective trap and the other team dribbled out of bounds.   Our kid, who had made a nice play, clapped in the guys face.  That happened in front of the scorer's table right next to me. So I saw it, but there was not a technical called. 

I fought my instincts to call timeout and yank the kid out of the game because I did not think it would have been fair to the team.  I completely thought about what Mike Smith did to Asante Samuel and how that turned the game around (possibly the season to a certain extent and maybe even the entire franchise when you consider what has happened since.)

I believe very strongly in respecting your opponent, the officials, and the game. And I took the kid aside after the game and made it clear that such behavior cannot happen again.    At practice Thursday there will be additional discussion and consequences for the entire team. 

But I was not going to turn around the emotion and momentum of the game at that moment.    Mike Smith taught me that lesson, for better or worse.

Da Bird is Da Word and shc like this

3 hours ago, holymoses said:

I was coaching my 12-year-old's basketball game today.   For us, it was a big game.

By the second quarter, we really had  things rolling.  We play an aggressive 1-3-1 zone that can put pressure on the ball all over the court,  and we had forced several turnovers that lead to fast-break points. 

We had another effective trap and the other team dribbled out of bounds.   Our kid, who had made a nice play, clapped in the guys face.  That happened in front of the scorer's table right next to me. So I saw it, but there was not a technical called. 

I fought my instincts to call timeout and yank the kid out of the game because I did not think it would have been fair to the team.  I completely thought about what Mike Smith did to Asante Samuel and how that turned the game around (possibly the season to a certain extent and maybe even the entire franchise when you consider what has happened since.)

I believe very strongly in respecting your opponent, the officials, and the game. And I took the kid aside after the game and made it clear that such behavior cannot happen again.    At practice Thursday there will be additional discussion and consequences for the entire team. 

But I was not going to turn around the emotion and momentum of the game at that moment.    Mike Smith taught me that lesson, for better or worse.

I get what you're saying, but you decided to scold him and the team anyway.  What difference does it make if it's during the game or after?  The vibe has been killed for the rest of the season.

You pulled a Mike Smith.

4 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I get what you're saying, but you decided to scold him and the team anyway.  What difference does it make if it's during the game or after?  The vibe has been killed for the rest of the season.

You pulled a Mike Smith.

You have to teach kids discipline, respect, sportsmanship. Mike Smith wasn't wrong for getting on to Asante for what he did four years ago. The point that was he shouldn't have done it the way that he did it. Or are you just trolling?

HolyMoses likes this