Who Is To Blame On The O-Line?

~SEAMILL~

Most of us agree that the o-line is terrible in run blocking. Its not entirely on Turner. Do you think it's the collective group or some more than others? looking ahead this season and in the future who can run and pass block that's worth a hoot? Can't scrap the whole line? Or can we?

Edited by ~SEAMILL~

mcclure.... hate to say it but we need a stronger center , blaylock a little weak at runblocking too. havent seen enough of kons to really say but he looks decent from what i've seen. most the problem is still on turner though, Quiz makes positive yards on most of his plays

Most of us agree that the o-line is terrible in run blocking. Its not entirely on Turner. Do you think it's the collective group or some more than others? looking ahead this season and in the future who can run and pass block that's worth a hoot? Can't scrap the whole line? Or can we?

I think McClure is an undersized center who consistently gets pushed back in the running game. Konz is still learning and Blalock is just OK. I think Konz will continue to improve run-blocking.....McClure needs to be replaced in offseason and I would slide Konz to Center - he would be an above-average guard in NFL but a pro-bowl center with his size and ability to pull and move. Falcons need a neanderthal knuckle-dragger to go at right guard and probably should draft one early - maybe even the 1st round if the right one falls to us.

Yesterday it was mostly McClure, Blalock and MyCox.

For the season PFF has McClure and Clabo rated positive in run blocking and Konz, Baker, Blalock and TonyG in the red.

Don't care about the stats McClure is just not stout enough, but at the same time not sure we replace him with what we have now. Cox is going to be rusty he hasn't played and isn't anything special anyways.

JMO

McClure has always been a weak spot. He's average at best, when he was at his best. And his best was several seasons ago.

Blalock very good pass protector, average at best run blocker. He's the most definite keeper of the full time starters on the OL.

Clabo strong, above average at RT, but really when he came out and still today probably fits better at RG. We should consider moving him inside.

Konz strong but inexperienced. He's getting good experience this season. Next year move him to OC.

Baker probably the 2nd weakest link on the OL behind McClure.

If we move Konz to OC, then that leaves a spot at RG. I think either option of moving Clabo over or promoting Philipkeith Manley up is a good option.

If Clabo moves inside, then I think Holmes would be a good replacement here. He's got the strength to keep the right side our strong running side. I'm not positive on his pass protection abilities though. Johnson is 2nd on the depth chart here, but I don't like the idea of moving him up to starter.

Baker is the harder to replace. He could move to RT, but we have to replace him at LT. We would either have to draft his replacement or move Holmes to his spot. Like my comment on RT, I'm not positive on Holmes' pass protection ability. If he can handle the LT spot, then I prefer leaving RT alone, promoting up Manley at RG, and moving Konz to OC. Based on what we currently have, I think that's our best option. If we try to replace Baker in the draft, we're going to have to make a move up the draft boards. Even if we lose the rest of our games, I'm not sure we're drafting high enough to get an elite LT.

JMO

McClure has always been a weak spot. He's average at best, when he was at his best. And his best was several seasons ago.

Blalock very good pass protector, average at best run blocker. He's the most definite keeper of the full time starters on the OL.

Clabo strong, above average at RT, but really when he came out and still today probably fits better at RG. We should consider moving him inside.

Konz strong but inexperienced. He's getting good experience this season. Next year move him to OC.

Baker probably the 2nd weakest link on the OL behind McClure.

If we move Konz to OC, then that leaves a spot at RG. I think either option of moving Clabo over or promoting Philipkeith Manley up is a good option.

If Clabo moves inside, then I think Holmes would be a good replacement here. He's got the strength to keep the right side our strong running side. I'm not positive on his pass protection abilities though. Johnson is 2nd on the depth chart here, but I don't like the idea of moving him up to starter.

Baker is the harder to replace. He could move to RT, but we have to replace him. We would either have to draft his replacement or move Holmes to his spot. Like my comment on RT, I'm not positive on Holmes' pass protection ability. If he can handle the LT spot, then I prefer leaving RT alone, promoting up Manley at RG, and moving Konz to OC. Based on what we currently have, I think that's our best option. If we try to replace Baker in the draft, we're going to have to make a move up the draft boards. Even if we lose the rest of our games, I'm not sure we're drafting high enough to get an elite LT.

Holmes is known to be a better pass blocker than run blocker.

PFF has McClure rated as the second best run blocker on the team. I agree with them. I don't see all the terrible run blocking I keep hearing about him. The standard comment is he doesn't get any push. Most of the time he's blocking against a 4-3 defense with noone over the top of him. WTF push are yall talking about?

Holmes is known to be a better pass blocker than run blocker.

PFF has McClure rated as the second best run blocker on the team. I agree with them. I don't see all the terrible run blocking I keep hearing about him. The standard comment is he doesn't get any push. Most of the time he's blocking against a 4-3 defense with noone over the top of him. WTF push are yall talking about?

WTF push are yall talking about? exactly. There isn't a push, at least not by our OL. Short yardage running plays, the interior of our OL is two yards into our backfield immediately after the snap.

I'm not saying McClure's 100% at fault. The staff is partly at fault for building a small, quick OL & then trying to run a power game forcing Turner up the middle far too often. Turner is also partly at fault, he should be able to open his eyes and see the OL being pushed into the backfield and take those 1 or 2 hole runs to the outside when it's stacked up in the middle.

And, if you look at football outsiders, you will see that our power running success percentage is at 38%. That's last in the league by a long shot. The next worst percentage is Buffalo & Detroit with 44% success and Cleveland at 47%. Every other team in the NFL has better than a 50% success rate in the power running game. The biggest problem is that we're being blown up in the middle of the line every time.

WTF push are yall talking about? exactly. There isn't a push, at least not by our OL. Short yardage running plays, the interior of our OL is two yards into our backfield immediately after the snap.

I'm not saying McClure's 100% at fault. The staff is partly at fault for building a small, quick OL & then trying to run a power game forcing Turner up the middle far too often. Turner is also partly at fault, he should be able to open his eyes and see the OL being pushed into the backfield and take those 1 or 2 hole runs to the outside when it's stacked up in the middle.

And, if you look at football outsiders, you will see that our power running success percentage is at 38%. That's last in the league by a long shot. The next worst percentage is Buffalo & Detroit with 44% success and Cleveland at 47%. Every other team in the NFL has better than a 50% success rate in the power running game. The biggest problem is that we're being blown up in the middle of the line every time.

You nailed it. With a small, quick OL, the power running game just won't fly and no amount of coaching up by Pat Hill can change that fact. That is obvious because the OL run blocking is actually getting worse as the season progresses, not better. McClure has to be replaced. Konz is the logical guy for that, put Manley at RG, Holmes goes in to LT for Baker and see how that works.

Small, quick OL??? WTF are you guys talking about. Here is our Oline:

Konz 314 6'5"

McClure 296 6'1"

Baker 307 6'5"

Blalock 329 6'4"

Clabo 331 6'6"

Here is SF who is the best rushing team in the NFL

Davis 323 6'5"

Boone 300 6'8"

Goodwin 318 6'3"

Iupati 331 6'5"

Staley 315 6'5"

They outweigh us by like 4 pounds total and our guys are a little shorter so we should have better leverage. I don't buy the small line stuff. It's because of scheming and our RB that our running game sucks.

I think McClure is an undersized center who consistently gets pushed back in the running game. Konz is still learning and Blalock is just OK. I think Konz will continue to improve run-blocking.....McClure needs to be replaced in offseason and I would slide Konz to Center - he would be an above-average guard in NFL but a pro-bowl center with his size and ability to pull and move. Falcons need a neanderthal knuckle-dragger to go at right guard and probably should draft one early - maybe even the 1st round if the right one falls to us.

Exactly, great post, I agree 1000%.........and the dumb mofos that think we dont need a Cyclops at DT are full of chit as well ........we need serious beef in this draft......and a RB .....hopefully 5% kicks in on Gonzo so TD can concentrate on other needs ........

Exactly, great post, I agree 1000%.........and the dumb mofos that think we dont need a Cyclops at DT are full of chit as well ........we need serious beef in this draft......and a RB .....hopefully 5% kicks in on Gonzo so TD can concentrate on other needs ........

How bout another DE before the o-line to help Abe out how bout that we have been dodging this bullet for to long now.

If we don't get Abe help and fast I'm starting to get this sinking feeling again.

For me the o-line can survive with what they have but if we don't commit at some stage to improving this enemic pass rush we have we will struggle to beat the Mannings Brees Brady's and Rodgers of this league.End of the day if we want to beat these guys consistently we gotta get these QB's off the spot not allow them to keep stepping up move them out of the pocket.

The biggest problem I have with the Run blocking or running the ball in general is 100% commitment to it or in our case lack there of.I watched all the short yardage stuff yesterday and thought to myself REALLY this looks half baked to me.

As for Mike Cox lead blocking for Turner no please give Snelling a go at this job Cox = a slightly upgraded version of Polite.

How bout another DE before the o-line to help Abe out how bout that we have been dodging this bullet for to long now.

If we don't get Abe help and fast I'm starting to get this sinking feeling again.

For me the o-line can survive with what they have but if we don't commit at some stage to improving this enemic pass rush we have we will struggle to beat the Mannings Brees Brady's and Rodgers of this league.End of the day if we want to beat these guys consistently we gotta get these QB's off the spot not allow them to keep stepping up move them out of the pocket.

The biggest problem I have with the Run blocking or running the ball in general is 100% commitment to it or in our case lack there of.I watched all the short yardage stuff yesterday and thought to myself REALLY this looks half baked to me.

As for Mike Cox lead blocking for Turner no please give Snelling a go at this job Cox = a slightly upgraded version of Polite.

I agree that is a huge priority as well, and no matter what we do, we will not be able to fill every hole with stud players......but we got to try.......

Small, quick OL??? WTF are you guys talking about. Here is our Oline:

Konz 314 6'5"

McClure 296 6'1"

Baker 307 6'5"

Blalock 329 6'4"

Clabo 331 6'6"

Here is SF who is the best rushing team in the NFL

Davis 323 6'5"

Boone 300 6'8"

Goodwin 318 6'3"

Iupati 331 6'5"

Staley 315 6'5"

They outweigh us by like 4 pounds total and our guys are a little shorter so we should have better leverage. I don't buy the small line stuff. It's because of scheming and our RB that our running game sucks.

They outweigh us by 10 pounds not 4. And, all 10 pounds are on the interior. When I'm looking at the power running game, I look at the interior. LG -- OC -- RG. That's a 10 pound difference, not a huge difference but significant enough. Maybe it's not all just the weight, maybe its our strength training as well. Which ever, or whatever it is, we need to get it fixed as soon as possible. 38% power run success rate is just awful and that rate is so low primarily because the DL is able to hit and smother the RB in backfield before he gets near the LOS.

ALL of our successful runs have come through or around our tackles and get nothing up the gut or through the middle.

As for the pass blocking, the o-line gave up one sack (when Matt was pressured and tripped) and only one qb hit in 52 passing attempts. That's pretty special in an environment that is so loud and hostile.

Holmes is a ways away from contributing! So far, he's played 6 quarters of pre-season and not suited up for a single game. I'm not sure i understand how many of the posters on this board, already have him as a starter? Konz has done an admirable job the last three games, but did anyone notice that on Turners runs on the goal line stand that the Saints overloaded and gashed his gaps. It ain't easy being a rookie lineman.

I don't think 1 individual is down right terrible. It's just a sum of their parts thing. When everyone is below average, it looks awful overall. That itself makes it difficult to fix too. A good RB can make a OL look good and vice versa. I think an upgrade at RB would be the best option. Turner is just too slow to the line and doesn't hit the hole with any conviction.

Edited by Rai

Truthfully our whole running game is mismatched. Turner is the perfect back in a mike malarkey type of power game. Not such a great fit in koetter's more wide open offense, where protecting the QB is huge as is having a back with receiving skills. I think our staff simply underestimated the difficulties of Turner assimilating into this offense.

But the other thing we can't overlook is Turner does not have any burst this year at all. Not sure if its the dreaded 30 rb syndrome or a lack of offseason conditioning. I think it may be both. He's awful pudgy this year. And it's not a strong pudgy like Bettis

ALL of our successful runs have come through or around our tackles and get nothing up the gut or through the middle.

As for the pass blocking, the o-line gave up one sack (when Matt was pressured and tripped) and only one qb hit in 52 passing attempts. That's pretty special in an environment that is so loud and hostile.

Yes, but I don't see our pass blocking as that much better. We're getting less sacks this year only because Ryan has an absolute arsenal of weapons and is getting the ball out quicker than last year. But he's still getting hit and pressured. Philly almost killed him. Yesterday there were two plays that stood out to me big time:

1) 4th quarter, not sure which drive. The pass was complete. But Baker completely whiffed on his man and the defender was coming at Ryan from directly behind him. It was for certain going to be a game changing strip, if not also a season ending injury. Luckily, Blalock made a phenomenal effort and peeled back to give the defender one last chuck so that Ryan could get the pass off. It was a GREAT play by Blaylock. But the point is Baker was completely beaten. Never touched his man. Again.

2) The last play on our failed final TD drive. People have actually tried to blame Ryan because the pass was lacking a little zip, enabling Greer to knock it down. What these m0r0ns don't mention is that Clabo completely whiffed on his man. This was the most important play of the game and Clabo whiffed. Never touched the guy. Ryan HAD to get that ball out. And quick. As a result the pass was more "flipped" than thrown. The pass was rushed but still pretty darn accurate. If Ryan had had 1/2 second more Roddy would have broken clear, Ryan could have zipped it, and we might be singing a different tune today.

Look, Turner is done. When he slipped and fell on that cutback in the backfield and was graciously awarded a 1st down on the spot, it became even more obvious than ever. We sit in the end zone at the dome so we can see the holes (or not holes). He repeatedly misses or is too slow to get to a cutback lane. Plus he seems top heavy. He's going down with "shoestring" tackles from defenders that are laying on the ground and simply sticking an arm out and grabbing an ankle. He should run right through these. He's done.

However, if anyone thinks the biggest problem with this offense doesn't begin up front on the OLine, they're simply not watching the game. We have defenders camped in our backfield almost every time we run the ball.