Fixing The Ol Questions

randawg91

OK, so looking down the road, it's painfully obvious that the OL needs to be fixed when it comes to run blocking. But where exactly? I think we can all agree that Konz is a likely long term option, either at RG or C. IMO Blalock has also played well enough, but I'm really not sure how he does in run blocking. Is Hawley a viable option going forward? Clabo? Baker? I don't understand how imo our guards are pretty good, but we can't seem to get ANY push nor open ANY holes.

As much as i like Mud Duck and respect him I gotta say we need a good young center if he remains on roster it should be in a backup/mentor role for all the lineman. When it comes to run blocking it all starts with the interior. This is just my opinion I think we're ok at LT (Baker) and RG(Konz) I really want to see what Lamar Holmes would look like at RT in a real game. So basically I think RT, LG, and C need some new blood you can argue all day with me on who's doing what and when but bottom line as a collective unit they aren't doing the first thing. Only ones I have been impressed with is Konz and Baker and since old problems are showing themselves I'm gonna say keep Konz and Baker replace or bench the rest and see what happens.

IMO Clabo is the weak link. Baker has played his *** off this year and I respect him for that. Not really sure about the interior because i do not really watch them. Clabo seems like he gives up the edge to often and if a DE decides to take a inside move he is so worried about being beat on the outside he doesn't replace his feet inside and lunges. Playing offensive line is a mental game and I feel like he has lost confidence and just needs to get that back

One option we have is to sign Jake Scott (free agent guard), he's been pretty good in recent years. IMO, I really think that you can pick up a hard running RB just about anywhere, but without an OL that can run block, there's really no point. Has anyone ever watched Hawley closely before? I always hear his name thrown around, but I've never gotten a good grasp of just how good he is.

Baker has done much better this year, but I still do not know if he is our answer.

Blaylock I still feel comfortable with

McClure - replaced with Konz

RG - move Clabo back to guard where he did very well before we were forced to move him out to tackle

RT - Maybe Holmes can play one of the tackle spots but we need 1 or 3 tackles for this team.

replace Turner he can not hit a hole, he can not cutback, and he no longer has the acceleration to bounce anything outside.

Our O line needs some back to basics practices, like our defense does (tackeling). They need to be sharpening up their technique in the run game.

Its odd that our o line has looked so bad run blocking when we have been so good at it in the past. It has to be an issue with the fundementals and technique of run blocking caused for a lack of practicing run blocking as much... maybe.

Mclure may be done. Its sad, but he may be.. He may just not have enough strength and quickness to be effective, regardless of technique. I don't know, though.

Either way, we need to sharpen up our technique on the line. Thats a sure way to see improvement. After our game Sunday, i think our line will be working on this and i think our defense will be working on tackeling and wrapping up ball carriers.

You have to DVR the games and take some time to rewind plays 4 or 5 times. That's what I do. And this season, Blaylock, McClure, Konz and Clabo have all stunk against the run. Against the Cowboys I watched Blaylock hold blocks for one second then turn and lunge backwards as his man slides off and tackles Turner in the hole. Konz got owned yesterday. Surprisely, Baker has played the best.

This team still can't get a yard. If that is not fixed immediately, our playoff nightmare will repeat this year.

Our O line needs some back to basics practices, like our defense does (tackeling). They need to be sharpening up their technique in the run game.

Its odd that our o line has looked so bad run blocking when we have been so good at it in the past. It has to be an issue with the fundementals and technique of run blocking caused for a lack of practicing run blocking as much... maybe.

Mclure may be done. Its sad, but he may be.. He may just not have enough strength and quickness to be effective, regardless of technique. I don't know, though.

Either way, we need to sharpen up our technique on the line. Thats a sure way to see improvement. After our game Sunday, i think our line will be working on this and i think our defense will be working on tackeling and wrapping up ball carriers.

sounds like to me then that the problem is the running back isn't getting through the gap fast enough.

I don't think our Oline is at fault. Not after yesterday. There were a couple of things that became obvious.

Oh no, our o-line is at fault. They got pushed around and penetrated in the run game like a..

Watch our line, not the ball. The line was man handeled in the run game. They were moving backwards almost every time the we tried to run.

The run game starts with blocking up front. Basics of football. Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage.

sure the play starts with dline and oline colliding. But unlike pop warner basic foobaw, there's some pre reads that goes on with the defense. If a defense knows a running back aint getting outside of the tackle box, then it is reaallly easy to flood the middle and get penetration. Its a basic numbers game.

Also he's too slow to get to the open gap and sometimes too blind to see it. turtle toe need to go kick rocks.

sure the play starts with dline and oline colliding. But unlike pop warner basic foobaw, there's some pre reads that goes on with the defense. If a defense knows a running back aint getting outside of the tackle box, then it is reaallly easy to flood the middle and get penetration. Its a basic numbers game.

Also he's too slow to get to the open gap and sometimes too blind to see it. turtle toe need to go kick rocks.

Thats right. Our play calling was poor many times sunday. We needed more PA and more screen passes with turner in the game to stop the defense from crashing the middle. Doing that would have kept the defense from crashing the line as much and opened up our run game.

Oh no, our o-line is at fault. They got pushed around and penetrated in the run game like a..

Watch our line, not the ball. The line was man handeled in the run game. They were moving backwards almost every time the we tried to run.

No, I don't think so. Read my post about the O and D lines. I would have agreed with you a week ago. The Saints were crashing everything at the point of attack. They had no respect for our counter game or Turner cutting back. Three O linemen can't move 7 defenders and there were a couple of plays where they had that man defenders at the point of attack. Terrible