Rev's Thoughts On The Saints Game

Rev_Hal

Ok gang. We suffered our first loss of the season. The sky is not falling, and the problems we hve been pointing out all year are the same ones that bit us in the butt yesterday.

1. On the positive, Ryan looked fantastic. Between the 2 QB’s in the game, both looked elite. There was no talent drop off between the two guys. If the Ryan haters cant see how good our QB is right now, they never will.

2. Gonzo had a monster day. Even with that meaningless drop on the last play of the game, he was great. I seriously hope that someone convinces him to play 1 more season, but I don’t think that happens. He is going to go out on his terms, playing near-perfect football.

3. Now to the not so happy stuff. Just like I have been saying all season, our run offense is just not good. It is hard for me to tell if it is Turner, the O-line’s run blocking, or a combination of both. People here keep telling me how the run game is not a problem, but yesterday we could not move the ball on the ground against the worst defense in the league. It rea;lly broke our back in short yardage and goal line situations.

4. The run defense is still as bad as it has been all year. We made a 3rd string running back look like a pro bowler. We were gashed by the run. If this one area does not improve, there is no way the Falcons are going to go anywhere in the playoffs.

5. the goal line stand in the 4th QTR by the Saints was the backbreaker. Again, it was our inability to run the ball that hurt us the most in that situation. You can knit pick Ryan’s throw, but the Falcons should have been able to pound the ball in from 2 yards out.

6. I don’t think the defense played that badly, other than the run defense. Brees and that set of receivers are going to shred just about every team in the league. They made some critical stops and kept us in the game, especially in the 4th QTR. Not a great day statistically, but good enough to win.

7. The absence of Weatherspoon is very evident. We need to get him healthy and back in the game.

8. I hear people whining about the refs. Other than the Harry Douglas catch that was a catch and reviewed and still called incomplete, I had no real objections.

9. This was a quality loss, if there is such a thing. The Falcons were in it to the very end against a playoff caliber team. A few breaks and this game would have gone our way. I just hope this is a wakeup call to the team. When Roddy started talking this week about the Falcons going undefeated, it showed me that they might be getting a bit overconfident. I want my team to believe they can win every game, but they have to work and fight for it. Now all of the critics are going to say “See, we told you the Falcons were not for real.”, and I hope that is the motivation to get to work and improve on the areas where we are still struggling.

The line wasnt getting a good push. We had a good game just a few mistakes, but the Oline not getting any push in the run game is killing us. It doesnt matter who runs the ball if there is no push up front. We have to either go away from running out of the Power formations or getting a new interior line. I've always said FB position is very underrated and much needed. We need a new lead blocker more then a new runner.

I agree with your take on the game. There should be a 24 hour cool down for some of the posters here. We had chances to win the game and given the failure to do anything with the run, I'd rather had 4 throws to try to score. The defense did a great job on the saints last series to get the ball back in the hands of the Ice Man. The saints are beatable and I think we'll do it at home.

8. I hear people whining about the refs. Other than the Harry Douglas catch that was a catch and reviewed and still called incomplete, I had no real objections.

From what I could see, there was no way they could get certain evidence of that being a catch from the videos. If they cannot prove it with certainty - they cannot overturn a call. If it had been called as a catch and then challenged by NO, that challenge would have been lost as well.

Just a shame the ref called incomplete

Gonna disagree on some points Rev

1) agree

2) The 4 & 1 drop was not meaningless it extends the drive for one or two more plays and who knows.

3) Turner is like an old car he has to warm up to get going and we all but abandoned the run game with Turner, We should have handed him the rock all game even for one or two yard gains. Once involved he becomes more effective in the 3rd and especially 4th quarter. I think we relied on the pass to much if you can't run in the NFL you can't win.

4) We are getting gashed up the middle as I thought we would when we let Lofton walk. On end arounds because our CB's play so far off the receiver when it's a run play they cannot get back to the line of scrimmage quick enough and our LB'rs are sooo slow except for Spoon we miss him badly.

5) agree if you can't gain a yard in 4 plays you should lose

6) Nolan called his worse game of the year rushing 3 made me sick you're playing right into Brees hands.. Blitz the **** out of him just get pressure he gives up on a play quicker than most QB's. Robinson looked like hot garbage as usual and we didn't make any adjustments at half time. Nolan get's a D for his defensive game plan

7) agree

8) The Katrina refs were back in full force. That blown call was huge against Douglas it made Coach Smith challenge and we lost a time out. We needed that timeout on the last drive, instead of getting the ball back with 40 seconds we get it back with over a minute a huge difference.

9) There is no such thing as a quality loss especially against the Saints. You are suppose to win these games and when you don't you really have to think what are we going to do against top ranked defenses like the Bears and can we beat a Texan team who has a top rank defense right now no. With no run game they would kill Ryan and how many yards do you think Foster or Forte would total against us.

Final thoughts if we draw a team besides Chicago we may win a playoff game but I can't see anything past that.

Edited by Xfactor

I really hope they let quiz get more carries after yesterday. The o line isn't great but turner is done , he's downright bad.

Turner has never been a speed back, and maybe he has lost a step, but our run blocking is downright criminal. I hope MS does limit MT's carries and so when Quizz, Snelling meet simular results, then we can truely put to bed where our prob lies with respect to inabily to run the ball.

Ok gang. We suffered our first loss of the season. The sky is not falling, and the problems we hve been pointing out all year are the same ones that bit us in the butt yesterday.

1. On the positive, Ryan looked fantastic. Between the 2 QB’s in the game, both looked elite. There was no talent drop off between the two guys. If the Ryan haters cant see how good our QB is right now, they never will.

2. Gonzo had a monster day. Even with that meaningless drop on the last play of the game, he was great. I seriously hope that someone convinces him to play 1 more season, but I don’t think that happens. He is going to go out on his terms, playing near-perfect football.

3. Now to the not so happy stuff. Just like I have been saying all season, our run offense is just not good. It is hard for me to tell if it is Turner, the O-line’s run blocking, or a combination of both. People here keep telling me how the run game is not a problem, but yesterday we could not move the ball on the ground against the worst defense in the league. It rea;lly broke our back in short yardage and goal line situations.

4. The run defense is still as bad as it has been all year. We made a 3rd string running back look like a pro bowler. We were gashed by the run. If this one area does not improve, there is no way the Falcons are going to go anywhere in the playoffs.

5. the goal line stand in the 4th QTR by the Saints was the backbreaker. Again, it was our inability to run the ball that hurt us the most in that situation. You can knit pick Ryan’s throw, but the Falcons should have been able to pound the ball in from 2 yards out.

6. I don’t think the defense played that badly, other than the run defense. Brees and that set of receivers are going to shred just about every team in the league. They made some critical stops and kept us in the game, especially in the 4th QTR. Not a great day statistically, but good enough to win.

7. The absence of Weatherspoon is very evident. We need to get him healthy and back in the game.

9. This was a quality loss, if there is such a thing. The Falcons were in it to the very end against a playoff caliber team. A few breaks and this game would have gone our way. I just hope this is a wakeup call to the team. When Roddy started talking this week about the Falcons going undefeated, it showed me that they might be getting a bit overconfident. I want my team to believe they can win every game, but they have to work and fight for it. Now all of the critics are going to say “See, we told you the Falcons were not for real.”, and I hope that is the motivation to get to work and improve on the areas where we are still struggling.

Great review Rev and very accurate on all points. Now lets pick up and get into the play offs and show everyone why we belong there. GO Falcons.

everyone keeps cracking on turner and no doubt he doesnt have the pop he used to have but the oline play was bad yesterday, and hasnt been good in the run game all year. Once he gets going turner is fine, but these short yardage situations hes not doing well cause he doesnt hit the hole like a freight train anymore, unlike chris ivory. Would love that guy next year. He is what we all want out of turner right now! I really would switch to snelling in that spot. He always has had a knack for falling forward and getting that yard! I agree we should have lined up with our 3 bests runs and if we lose we lose, but you have to pound the ball in that spot!

after watching the whole game, the turning point was after Asante's INT. we got a penalty but those guys were JACKED UP!! coach Smith shut that down. he got onto those dudes for what seemed like 3 to 5 minutes and afterwards they weren't as jacked up and the rest is history. kinda seems like he may taken the emotion out of the guys. plus that WAS NOT a Mike Nolan defensive showing in the first half. sure there were a bunch of missed tackles but that wasn't a Nolan defense, that looked like a coach Smith let's not make any mistakes defense and the guys responded by playing tight

after watching the whole game, the turning point was after Asante's INT. we got a penalty but those guys were JACKED UP!! coach Smith shut that down. he got onto those dudes for what seemed like 3 to 5 minutes and afterwards they weren't as jacked up and the rest is history. kinda seems like he may taken the emotion out of the guys. plus that WAS NOT a Mike Nolan defensive showing in the first half. sure there were a bunch of missed tackles but that wasn't a Nolan defense, that looked like a coach Smith let's not make any mistakes defense and the guys responded by playing tight

makes sense. Should have let the guys have some fun out there like they have been doing all season

Turner has lost a step, he hasn't been the same since his 372 carries and the multiple groan injuries. He doesn't have the burst to bounce it outside. The oline still has problems with this new blocking scheme. I will have look at when the coaches tape is available on Game Rewind, but in the past, we were not getting blown off the ball, but failing to get to the second level.

Rev this is one of your best reviews. This is a good team we played that is on an

upswing. I thought we could discourage them by running it down their throat and take

the game over. They were stronger than us up front so that didn't happen. We also

did not appear to be interested in running, rather throw to all our weapons.

Speaking of weapons Roddy White got involved in a push off contest and ignored

the incoming football. That could have been the game right there. The ball was hung

up right there for him and instead of running to it he got distracted and then back peddled

for it. That was a head scratcher.

Turner has never been a speed back, and maybe he has lost a step, but our run blocking is downright criminal. I hope MS does limit MT's carries and so when Quizz, Snelling meet simular results, then we can truely put to bed where our prob lies with respect to inabily to run the ball.

Maybe you're right who knows , it's a combination of the two. I just think it's easier to try a new running back rather than shaking up the O line.

Maybe you're right who knows , it's a combination of the two. I just think it's easier to try a new running back rather than shaking up the O line.

Watching this team attempt numerous 3rd and short in the most critical situations in the past four + yrs, it's obvious to me where the prob lies, Turner, OL, or play selection, my money is on the OL

good review Rev.

one thing I'd like to point out is this. While I haven't looked up Tampa's rushing stats, they are definitely higher than ours. The Taints D shut them down at the goal line as well at the end of their game a few weeks ago. Y'all can say what you want about them, but when it was time to shut it down, regardless of their record or their stats or whatever, it is obvious they want it more....we've witnessed this multiple times the last few years.

I put the blame on the lack of 'killer instinct' on our part. As much as Roddy said nobody had to pump them up for this game, I agree with the statement that was made above, they were pumped through the roof, and maybe too much of that was taken out of them after 22's INT and the penalty after that

as for the complaints about the refs, I agree with you Rev, although I will say that on the play Matt threw the pick, I thought there should have been defensive holding called in the middle of the field,