Let The Cooler Heads Prevail

wleggett

No need for doom or gloom here there are plenty of threads already for that crap so save your time and leave it out. Yes it was a tough loss and after the sting of it goes away I'll be watching the game again because while the outcome wasn't what we wanted there were good things going on out there.

What did you guys see that was a positive?

One play that has stuck in my head was when one of the guy on the oline made his block then came back to protect Ryan from behind. Had he not done that it could have been really bad. Another was without Jones (part of the time) and Spoon things kept moving forward. In the second half it seemed the defense was using more group tackles and stopping the run better.

So lets hear what you guys have to think about the good things we did.

What I saw was a team that didn't roll over. Down 11 to NO in NO and we fought back. Those uncharacteristic penalties definitely hurting but this team as the potential to be very good this year. I trust our coordinators will work out our kinks so that we're clicking in January.

No, no, no.....we don't do that here, post intelligent and coherent analysis of hard fought division games on the road against a very hungry team....get with the program!

As a team, we didn't do much well today.

Matt played terrific. Asante played very well except for that pansy attempt at a tackle....even calling it an attempt is generous....on Chris Ivory's long TD run. Snelling and Quizz getting some touches were promising. McClain continues to show promise as a long term answer as the nickel back.

On the flip side, Snelling should almost be our "feature" back with Quizz sprinkled in and Turner relegated to clock killing duties. Snelling and Quizz add the extra element of being a receiver to keep the defense off balance, while Turner limits our possibilities. None of the best offenses in this league have a feature back as a guy who can't catch. It allows the defense to focus elsewhere.

Patriots -- Ridley and Vereen both catch.

Packers -- Benson, Starks, and Green all catch.

Bears -- Forte and Bush both catch.

Texans -- Foster and Tate both catch.

Saints -- Sproles and Thomas both catch (Ingram too).

Ravens -- Ray Rice catches the ball.

Even the Bucs -- Doug Martin is a very good receiver.

Falcons -- Turner can't catch and isn't a weapon out of the backfield.

Even we used Snelling and Quizz we would have a dynamic very similar to the Patriots' Ridley and Vereen. The Patriots would not take Michael Turner for free right now, I promise you that. There's a reason why they never rostered a run-only RB. Green-Ellis is a much better receiver than Turner is and they still let him go because they didn't think he was well-rounded enough.

Our safeties didn't play well today which is concerning. Spoon not being in had a huge impact on us -- Dent is a Lofton clone, and not in a good way. He may even be worse in coverage, by a half step. His instincts are probably what make that half step. Nicholas looked a little lost without his running mate as well.

Most concerning to me is we've had the same problem for 5 years -- we only have one DE (Abe) and one DT (Babs) and we've always said they're getting older we need to get a partner for each of them to fix our D line. Guess what -- it's been 5 years and we have failed in doing that. And now they are both actually to the point where their snaps need to be limited and we haven't come up with their replacements or bookends! This is an area in which TD has failed miserably. Peters isn't the answer inside, and Ray is far from the answer outside. He wasn't enough solid vs. the run today.

I have a cool head -- I'm just being truthful and objective.

I hated that we lost to the saints, but let's admit we all knew that this was going to be a close game. The team can't comeback all the time. One very positive thing that I saw was that we handled adversity way bettter than in the past. I'm proud because after going down eleven I was discouraged and thought the team would fold like in the past, but they fought back and nearly won. I really believe that this is a sign that we can succeed in the playoffs.

What I saw was a team that didn't roll over. Down 11 to NO in NO and we fought back. Those uncharacteristic penalties definitely hurt but this team as the potential to be very good this year. I trust our coordinators will work out our kinks so that we're clicking in January.

Right,the resiliency of this team is incredible.I mean down 11 in NO and had two chances at the 1 yrd line to take the lead.The way I see it is we lost this game more then the Aint's won it.

Matt played terrific. Asante played very well except for that pansy attempt at a tackle....even calling it an attempt is generous....on Chris Ivory's long TD run. Snelling and Quizz getting some touches were promising. McClain continues to show promise as a long term answer as the nickel back.

On the flip side, Snelling should almost be our "feature" back with Quizz sprinkled in and Turner relegated to clock killing duties. Snelling and Quizz add the extra element of being a receiver to keep the defense off balance, while Turner limits our possibilities. None of the best offenses in this league have a feature back as a guy who can't catch. It allows the defense to focus elsewhere.

Even we used Snelling and Quizz we would have a dynamic very similar to the Patriots' Ridley and Vereen. The Patriots would not take Michael Turner for free right now, I promise you that. There's a reason why they never rostered a run-only RB. Green-Ellis is a much better receiver than Turner is and they still let him go because they didn't think he was well-rounded enough.

Our safeties didn't play well today which is concerning. Spoon not being in had a huge impact on us -- Dent is a Lofton clone, and not in a good way. He may even be worse in coverage, by a half step. His instincts are probably what make that half step. Nicholas looked a little lost without his running mate as well.

Most concerning to me is we've had the same problem for 5 years -- we only have one DE (Abe) and one DT (Babs) and we've always said they're getting older we need to get a partner for each of them to fix our D line. Guess what -- it's been 5 years and we have failed in doing that. And now they are both actually to the point where their snaps need to be limited and we haven't come up with their replacements or bookends! This is an area in which TD has failed miserably. Peters isn't the answer inside, and Ray is far from the answer outside. He wasn't enough solid vs. the run today.

I get what you're saying and don't disagree and I have no issues with people that point things out without the sky is falling mentality. Well thought out post.

Right,the resiliency of this team is incredible.I mean down 11 in NO and had two chances at the 1 yrd line to take the lead.The way I see it is we lost this game more then the Aint's won it.

Agree you can't teach a team to keep fighting. Either they have it or they don't. The rest can be worked on because I saw a team that kept it close till the end and failed to make it happen. Defense on that last drive stood their ground to give the offense the ball and in that situation you can't ask for much more.

No need for doom or gloom here there are plenty of threads already for that crap so save your time and leave it out. Yes it was a tough loss and after the sting of it goes away I'll be watching the game again because while the outcome wasn't what we wanted there were good things going on out there.

What did you guys see that was a positive?

One play that has stuck in my head was when one of the guy on the oline made his block then came back to protect Ryan from behind. Had he not done that it could have been really bad. Another was without Jones (part of the time) and Spoon things kept moving forward. In the second half it seemed the defense was using more group tackles and stopping the run better.

So lets hear what you guys have to think about the good things we did.

I for some reason don't feel the sting that bad after this loss.. I knew going into this game we could lose.. I mean the Saints are a good football team, have been playing well over the past few games and last but not least its a division opponent.. I think we played pretty good football.. yes we made mistakes... but all the mistakes we made are correctable and I almost feel like we needed this loss.. To expose us our weaknesses and remind us that we need to play flawless football.. means not as many penalties, turnovers, and score TDs in the redzone not FGs... We will be okay.. I just want home field advantage :)

I cant say I disagree with any of this. Except for Peters because it is too soon to tell. Especially if using this year as a benchmark since he hasn't played at all. By week 13 he should be good. I dont blame TD for his answers at DE. He is cap limited every year, Johnson got a HUGE deal we could not compete with, Babin also got a pretty nice deal. Ray was pretty cheap but you get what you pay for, Look at Mario Williams. I was all for giving every last dollar for him and we didnt and look at what he has done. I thought he would be the answer to our dline problems. I actually believe by next year we will be primarily a 3-4 team. We show signs of that now with our 3 DT front and Kroy playing OLB. We are just a nose and a pass rushing LB away from that, Spoon probably will take middle. But with that said, Turners bright spot is/was his ability to beat down a defense. We are a passing team and he makes us extremely limited in using all our players in the passing game. I wouldnt mind Quizz being starter but the major problem is how well will he do in pass protection. I saw him chip Will Smith a few times and got some good shots. Can he hold up by himself is the real question.