Biggest Problem Remains

vel

Well, I'll have to agree on Turner. The only game he played like he can was 2 days after he got the DUI, How can a player look that great for one game and then all the rest look done??? He played hard bc he knew the FO was upset at him. He proved that day he's not putting his all on the line in all the other games. He was unstopable that one day he was trying to amend his DUI. I'm not a negative person and all on here know it but Turner is way to slow to the hole, and has lost all his wiggle. If he lucks up with a hole right in front of him he can do some damage. But we need a guy that is fast enough to jump around and find a hole. Just look at Ivory and how he played, a no name way out performed the guy who looks like he's playing half drunk or as if he's afraid to get hurt.

Exactly! Me and my boys were watching the SD and CAR games and couldn't believe it was Turner, running with explosiveness and purpose! Then we all agreed it was because of the DUI and that he probably got a talking to from the coaches.

It's time for Turner to get another DUI!! That's apparently what it takes for him to play at his full potential. SMH.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't think Turner is done. There just aint no holes there folks. I thought the run blocking was awful last year. It's just turrible this year.

Need to be careful friend, you're approaching Gazoo defending Anderson-as-a-viable-NFL-player and #1 pick defending Newton-as-the-best-player-in-the-NFL-territory.

I just don't know what Smitty is going to tell the guys this week. Luckily we have the weak Cards up next. But the Bucs and Saints back to back could put us at 9-3 and not in full control to the #1 seed. The Bucs DLine will own our OLine. Be prepared for when that happens. Teams play us with emotion and passion. We don't and like raysnill pointed out, ours gets suppressed by our HC.

I just don't know what Smitty is going to tell the guys this week. Luckily we have the weak Cards up next. But the Bucs and Saints back to back could put us at 9-3 and not in full control to the #1 seed. The Bucs DLine will own our OLine. Be prepared for when that happens. Teams play us with emotion and passion. We don't and like raysnill pointed out, ours gets suppressed by our HC.

What he needs to do is ask them some questions.

You can't get up for the Saints? The team that constantly talks about how you can't beat them and embarrassed you last season so they could break a record against you on their home field? The team that you should have wanted to put out of the playoff discussion just because? You can't get up for this game?

Then he needs to remind them -- before every game -- how you cannot take any team for granted. You cannot afford to wait until the 2nd half to fit your gaps and make tackles. You can't afford to fail time and again to score from just outside the goal line. This needs to be the Falcons' example game for the rest of the season. Remember the Saints game? Good. Now lets go play.

Or they could be 11-1 and in complete control. Assuming a loss is just as bad as assuming a win.

Buc's Dline is good, but their secondary ain't- there's a good chance that Falcons simply outscore them, and Falcons can beat the Saints with home field advantage.

Think that the Get the "F" of our field gif shows that there is heart and passion on our team.

Think Smitty was perfectly justified in reaming out Samuels for that 15 yarder. It was the first of about a dozen mistakes the Falcons made that cost them the game.

Falcons have played 5 straight games against teams that needed to win to keep their playoff hopes alive, they won 4 of them.

What he needs to do is ask them some questions.

You can't get up for the Saints? The team that constantly talks about how you can't beat them and embarrassed you last season so they could break a record against you on their home field? The team that you should have wanted to put out of the playoff discussion just because? You can't get up for this game?

Then he needs to remind them -- before every game -- how you cannot take any team for granted. You cannot afford to wait until the 2nd half to fit your gaps and make tackles. You can't afford to fail time and again to score from just outside the goal line. This needs to be the Falcons' example game for the rest of the season. Remember the Saints game? Good. Now lets go play.

those guys were up for this game. they were JACKED UP and loose! coach Smith took that out of them very early in the game. just imagine if coach Smith would have left them alone? after that INT they were on the sideline rocking, Willy Mo, DeCoud, Asante, Dunta, they could barely contain themselves while coach Smith was getting on them, but he got his message across and the guys played tighter & tighter until half time

I thought the defense did much better during the 2nd half. They shut the saints offense down which I thought was impossible to do. I remember in the past when Brees would figure out our defensive gameplan whether it took 2 quarters or 3, our def usually takes a nosedive. Instead, Nolans defense came out after halftime and manned up enough to stop the run and limit 3rd down conversions. Despite a bad 1st half, they gave the offense more than enough opportunities to take the game.

I agree the defense did tackle and play better in the second half, it appears MS needs to have one day where it's a back to basics day and teach them how to tackle every week

WOW!!!!!

What happened to the Vel that was blasting anyone with the nerve to suggest the Falcons might lose a game? Dude, you flipped in a quick minute.

after watching the whole game, the turning point was after Asante's INT. we got a penalty but those guys were JACKED UP!! coach Smith shut that down. he got onto those dudes for what seemed like 3 to 5 minutes and afterwards they weren't as jacked up and the rest is history. kinda seems like he may taken the emotion out of the guys. plus that WAS NOT a Mike Nolan defensive showing in the first half. sure there were a bunch of missed tackles but that wasn't a Nolan defense, that looked like a coach Smith let's not make any mistakes defense and the guys responded by playing tight

In a way I agree with Smith, they should have got to their sideline to celebrate, if their celebration hadn't cost 15 yards he wouldn't have said a thing. there's no guarentee that we would have scored a TD but i like our chances at the 10 yard line more than the 25.

those guys were up for this game. they were JACKED UP and loose! coach Smith took that out of them very early in the game. just imagine if coach Smith would have left them alone? after that INT they were on the sideline rocking, Willy Mo, DeCoud, Asante, Dunta, they could barely contain themselves while coach Smith was getting on them, but he got his message across and the guys played tighter & tighter until half time

I don't buy that. Being loose doesn't excuse getting a stupid penalty. Smitty was right about that.

And I'm pretty sure he didn't say "hey, while you're concentrating on not getting stupid penalties after a great turnover, be sure you also don't fit gaps or tackle, because we really have to tighten up." If that's the message they took from him getting on to them, then they're all too stupid to be on an NFL football team.

I don't buy that. Being loose doesn't excuse getting a stupid penalty. Smitty was right about that.

And I'm pretty sure he didn't say "hey, while you're concentrating on not getting stupid penalties after a great turnover, be sure you also don't fit gaps or tackle, because we really have to tighten up." If that's the message they took from him getting on to them, then they're all too stupid to be on an NFL football team.

uhhmmmm sir, you get "******* Post of the Day."

you're exactly right. but playing sports is a mental thing and sometimes you get emotional. you don't think guys play differently when they have a sorta swag about them?

you're exactly right. but playing sports is a mental thing and sometimes you get emotional. you don't think guys play differently when they have a sorta swag about them?

Sure. My point is Smitty wasn't getting on them about having swag. He was getting on them about celebrating in a fashion that cost us field position and, more to the point, stopped play to give the defense a chance to prepare for what was coming. My guess is he was telling them to keep the celebration on the sideline, not in the middle of the field.

Sure. My point is Smitty wasn't getting on them about having swag. He was getting on them about celebrating in a fashion that cost us field position and, more to the point, stopped play to give the defense a chance to prepare for what was coming. My guess is he was telling them to keep the celebration on the sideline, not in the middle of the field.

I wanna agree with that, but they were pumped. when he got on them the first time they were pumped. as they kept showing him they looked a little less pumped. then they looked kinda dejected. yeah it was a costly penalty but 1st & 10 from the 27 yard line with our offense isn't a terrible deal.

Lack of a killer instinct. This doesn't just apply to putting games away. Our defense was soft today. Was bullied and couldn't respond. Only time they stopped the run was when we knew it was going to be three straight runs to get the ball back. The Saints, who have a bottom 3 run offense, ran right down our throats. Repeatedly. We didn't shed blocks. We we pushed off the ball. We didn't tackle. Nobody made a play after Asante's INT.

This easily was Nolan's worst game to date with the Falcons. Graham was the only real threat and was never double teamed. He clearly chewed them out about their poor tackling, but he had no answer for the Saints and when he did, his players dropped the ball. Our defense is not violent. Look at the better, playoff caliber defenses. They are violent. Texans, Bears, Giants, Niners, Seahawks. They are violent. We aren't. We will continue to have problems and get pushed around until we can play pissed off and violent. Period. They ran right at our DTs and MLB and we had no answer. Nobody got off their blocks or made tackles.

We didn't take it to the Saints. Not in the slightest. That has been a problem for us since 08. We have never taken the fight to another top notch caliber team. We've always played reactionary football. Until that changes, this team will struggle against any kind of playoff caliber team.

So.....what you are saying is that.......this guy was wrong. Right?

http://boards.atlant...8-2011-falcons/

"Attitude.

It's even evident amongst the fans (some at least). In 2010, when we went 13-3, this team squeaked by and didn't really believe they were the better team when they took the field against equal or better teams. You could see it in how they played and gameplanned and the fans felt the same way. The playoff game only confirmed it. It carried over into 2011. The focus was to not beat yourself instead of beat the other guys.

Now, this team feels they can beat whoever lines up across from them, will talk trash and let them know they will beat them, and will back it up. They are a very confident bunch. They don't care who you are, what your record is, what your history is, they know they are the better team. The fans believe this as well. The 7-0 record helps, but the fans feed off what the players give off.

Matt Ryan believes he is a top 5 QB in this league, the offense believe they can score on any defense, the defense believe they can stop anybody and the coaches fully believe in every player, even the depth guys. These are things we've never had. Matt was treated like a rookie or lesser QB that needed to rely on the running game prior to this year. The offense relied on execution instead of ability. The defense was purely "hope for the best". We relied only on the name players that earned respect and we were comfortable with. Shut down Roddy, Julio and Tony and the offense stalls. Attack the nickel on defense.

Now, guys like Quizz, Davis, Snelling, McClain and Owens show up when we need them because the coaches believe in them to make the play. I said it plenty of times around here that that matters, but was scoffed by those who hadn't experienced such a thing. Coaching changes, as we are seeing first hand, can have a major impact on the same players. Yes, the yards may not be better than they have been at their best points in prior years, but this team is easily the best team in the Smitty era with very few weaknesses with the same players essentially."

Or they could be 11-1 and in complete control. Assuming a loss is just as bad as assuming a win.

Buc's Dline is good, but their secondary ain't- there's a good chance that Falcons simply outscore them, and Falcons can beat the Saints with home field advantage.

Think that the Get the "F" of our field gif shows that there is heart and passion on our team.

Think Smitty was perfectly justified in reaming out Samuels for that 15 yarder. It was the first of about a dozen mistakes the Falcons made that cost them the game.

Falcons have played 5 straight games against teams that needed to win to keep their playoff hopes alive, they won 4 of them.

Not assuming a loss, but this team needed a big reality check and needs to really look in the mirror with those two coming up soon. The Cards will be a dress rehearsal. If we are having the same issues we did yesterday next Sunday, then Smitty needs to be talked to. The Saints entire defense is pathetic, yet we couldn't capitalize. The Saints played with more heart and passion than the Falcons. That "Get the F off our field" attitude does not permeate through the entire team. That's the problem.

It isn't a "These bums don't belong on the same field as us" or "They're not getting a single f*ckin yard on us" attitude all the time. Only in spurts. We stopped em on the goal line because we knew they were going to run 3 straight runs and we couldn't let them gain any yards or risk losing. Why can't they play the run like that the other 58 minutes?

I'm not upset at Smitty getting on Asante. I think his approach was wrong though. I don't know what was said but I would have said "Let's keep getting in their arses but leave the penalties out of it" and walked off. Smitty kept going and going and it did have an adverse effect on them the rest of the half. Smitty was uptight about the record and the Saints and it fed into the team.

WOW!!!!!

What happened to the Vel that was blasting anyone with the nerve to suggest the Falcons might lose a game? Dude, you flipped in a quick minute.

Didn't say I expect to lose the game did I? Nice try trying to hop on any opportunity you can. It's a real possibility we could lose because the Bucs can beat us just like the Saints just did if things aren't corrected. Martin could run for 200 and 3 TDs on this defense if they tackle like they did yesterday. The Saints can beat us at home because they want to beat us more than we want to beat them. That's what I was saying. You predicted us to lose. I was pointing out what was coming next and worst case scenario if things are corrected. Big difference. I changed my tune from 16-0 to 15-1. Not to 13-3.

Not assuming a loss, but this team needed a big reality check and needs to really look in the mirror with those two coming up soon. The Cards will be a dress rehearsal. If we are having the same issues we did yesterday next Sunday, then Smitty needs to be talked to. The Saints entire defense is pathetic, yet we couldn't capitalize. The Saints played with more heart and passion than the Falcons. That "Get the F off our field" attitude does not permeate through the entire team. That's the problem.

It isn't a "These bums don't belong on the same field as us" or "They're not getting a single f*ckin yard on us" attitude all the time. Only in spurts. We stopped em on the goal line because we knew they were going to run 3 straight runs and we couldn't let them gain any yards or risk losing. Why can't they play the run like that the other 58 minutes?

I'm not upset at Smitty getting on Asante. I think his approach was wrong though. I don't know what was said but I would have said "Let's keep getting in their arses but leave the penalties out of it" and walked off. Smitty kept going and going and it did have an adverse effect on them the rest of the half. Smitty was uptight about the record and the Saints and it fed into the team.

Didn't say I expect to lose the game did I? Nice try trying to hop on any opportunity you can. It's a real possibility we could lose because the Bucs can beat us just like the Saints just did if things aren't corrected. Martin could run for 200 and 3 TDs on this defense if they tackle like they did yesterday. The Saints can beat us at home because they want to beat us more than we want to beat them. That's what I was saying. You predicted us to lose. I was pointing out what was coming next and worst case scenario if things are corrected. Big difference. I changed my tune from 16-0 to 15-1. Not to 13-3.

Dude, you said any fan who thinks the team will lose is weak. It was a rant you had, it was hilarious. Don't get amnesia on me now.

What you are saying is really stupid. We lost one game and you're an example of why Atlanta will never go the next level as a sports town with its fans. You sir are the best example of complete moronic overreaction. We as fans should use you as an example of exactly not how to act. We are a great team with a lot of heart. You are the comp,ete opposite of that. Sad.

What you are saying is really stupid. We lost one game and you're an example of why Atlanta will never go the next level as a sports town with its fans. You sir are the best example of complete moronic overreaction. We as fans should use you as an example of exactly not how to act. We are a great team with a lot of heart. You are the comp,ete opposite of that. Sad.

Please explain. I'd love to hear your reasoning. I'm dying to hear it! Because from what I see in this thread, I guess I'm not the only sad excuse for a fan. Got a few likes on the OP and others agreeing with the sentiments in the OP. So please, I would love to hear your explanations. Where is the Killer Instinct so many of us wish this team possessed? When has it shown up?

Actually he is just having a discussion, I mean it is a MB right ? ...right ? .......