Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vel

Biggest Problem Remains

Against Denver we played great in the first half and like ish the 2nd...

What we lacked last year is hanging around this year. The ability to play four qtrs of CONSISTENT ball.

the problems we have are obvious and can't be schemed around...we're just going to have to roll with who we have and try and plug the holes in the offseason...

Main problems I see and the players who cause them are:

Weak O-line run blocking and run game:

Turner-done, won't be brought back.

McClure-done, probably retire won't be brought back

RG-not Konz fault, he'll slide over to McClure's vacated center slot...don't think Reynolds is the answer here

Poor Run Defense

Peria Jerry-Just doesn't have the necessary bulk or base to hold the point. He was drafted out of Ole Miss primarily for his ability to penetrate, disrupt the backfield, get TFLs....On those rare occasions when Jerry does hold the point we still have problems because of our next guy:

Akeem Dent-Don't know if it's his relative inexperience starting but he takes poor angles and gets washed out of the flow of pursuit waaaaaaay too often. He's a backup who's posing as a starting MLB.

Poor Tackling in General-I was embarrassed for both Samuel and Robinson yesterday on Ivory's long TD run. Horrible angle taken by Asante and Dunta looked like Betty White trying to take down Ivory...it was indicative of our tackling ability the entire first half....and has reared it's ugly head too often this year.

No Pass Rush

Ray Edwards-No in-depth explanation needed here. He simply isn't coming close to getting the job done. I will throw a small party to celebrate when he is cut.

Interior Line-Again goes partly to Jerry, but also to Babs (who at least has had good games and does get some penetration). We simply aren't getting anywhere enough constant middle push to flush quarterbacks. I'm tired of seeing opposing QBs have clean pockets against the Falcons.

Sidbury, Matthews and Massaquoi-I see teams like the Giants rotate their DEs (after having developed them) and I wonder sometimes why we even have these guys on the roster if they aren't going to even sniff the field. Ray Edwards gets snaps but these 3 can't?

Bottom line is I believe the Falcons were somewhat handcuffed this year. The FO wanted to sign many of our own FAs and we got caught short in the draft because of our final installment payments on Julio....but this is the situation as I see it. I'm not sure that Nolan/Koetter are talented enough to scheme around what I see are definite personnel/roster problems enough to get us the Lombardi this year.

If we get hot and stay healthy, maybe....but I strongly believe we need a few more pieces.

I now believe we are set to win our first playoff game under Smith era . I believe Ryan can even go shot for shot now with Rodgers . The way yesterday game played out I'm confident we will have playoff success this year team more is about Ryan now and allowing him make plays . Only team that can beat us is GB and Rodgers ..

Giants , Bears , 49ers , Seahawks .. don't scare me at all

I now believe we are set to win our first playoff game under Smith era . I believe Ryan can even go shot for shot now with Rodgers . The way yesterday game played out I'm confident we will have playoff success this year team more is about Ryan now and allowing him make plays . Only team that can beat us is GB and Rodgers ..

Ryan's development has been the best thing I have seen this year on the Falcons....and I agree with you, I think he can go toe to toe with virtually every QB he'd oppose in the postseason....Unfortunately it seems to have escaped the Falcons attention that if you aren't stout on both of your lines your chances of postseason success are pretty slim.

We're still suspect along both lines. Anyone who knows football can see that.

The Falcons are a finesse football team. That's what they have been, and that is what they will continue to be.

When they lose, it's going to be due to the ramifications of being a finesse football team i.e. can't get 1 yard with 3 cracks to win the game.

Same as last year vs the Saints in OT.. Its sad really cause Smitty is a tough guy and its got to be killing him that we cant tough out a YARD. what bugs me more is that we try to PASS on 1st and goal . Bugs the crap out of me

Bears, 49ers, Seahwawks can ALL play defense and can all RUN the ball.

Every defense you listed will flat shut our offense down. We haven't seen a defense like that yet. Just wait.

Every defense you listed will flat shut our offense down. We haven't seen a defense like that yet. Just wait.

Like Swift said, the only team I'm worried about is GB. Just like NO lit up San Fran last year they can be had..and all those other defenses can too

The 49ers couldn't even shut down the Rams in their own place yesterday.

We couldnt score a td at the 1 yard line against the worst defense in the nfl...Sorry Mother#%^%#..I wasted my off day from work watching that s#it. If they lose again against n.o in atl. Im done with this team after that.

We couldnt score a td at the 1 yard line against the worst defense in the nfl...Sorry Mother#%^%#..I wasted my off day from work watching that s#it. If they lose again against n.o in atl. Im done with this team after that.

Ok, but we don't be showing up at the Super Bowl parade all like "I'm back!"

If they lose again against n.o in atl. Im done with this team after that.

Dayum...

I don't know how the team will struggle on without the support of hardcore, "through thick and thin", dedicated fans such as yourself.

Drown this entire post in purple mother******.

Don't think it's killer instinct so much as breakdowns in execution of two new schemes and some lack of talent.

Take away the 56 yarder and the kneeldown at the end and the Saints rushed 26 times for 93 yards, a 3.45 YPC- you can live with that. YES I KNOW YOU CAN'T DO THAT, my point is, I think the Falcons play the run fairly well 95% of the time, but breakdowns in filling gaps, clogging the cutback lanes and missed tackles allow the big play to happen- think those breakdowns are lack of familiarity with the scheme and Dent's inexperience.

In the Dallas and Philly games, Falcons played the run they way they have all year, minus the breakdowns, and held those run games in check. Think there's hope for the D learning to stop the run game- Think the players will settle into the scheme, Peters will get more snaps and help the DT rotation and Dent will get better.

Now the run game, hard to argue for Turner after a game like this one. Think the problems running the ball are more talent, or lack thereof, than scheme. Turner can't break tackles like he used to, McClure can't get any push in the middle, Clabo is having an off year, Konz makes rookie mistakes- I'd put Hawley in at center and give Quizz the bulk of the carries and see what he can do- he does it in the fourth quarter, give him a shot in quarters one through three.

Konz should improve with more game experience, hopefully Clabo shakes off whatever is bothering him and the Oline can improve that way.

Wild card may be Smith- he wouldn't be the first RB to come out of nowhere late season.

Well, I'll have to agree on Turner. The only game he played like he can was 2 days after he got the DUI, How can a player look that great for one game and then all the rest look done??? He played hard bc he knew the FO was upset at him. He proved that day he's not putting his all on the line in all the other games. He was unstopable that one day he was trying to amend his DUI. I'm not a negative person and all on here know it but Turner is way to slow to the hole, and has lost all his wiggle. If he lucks up with a hole right in front of him he can do some damage. But we need a guy that is fast enough to jump around and find a hole. Just look at Ivory and how he played, a no name way out performed the guy who looks like he's playing half drunk or as if he's afraid to get hurt.

Dayum...

I don't know how the team will struggle on without the support of hardcore, "through thick and thin", dedicated fans such as yourself.

Drown this entire post in purple mother******.

I'm f*cking serious. I won't waste another off day from work to be disappointed again. The falcons remind me of a woman who will let you put the tip of your d*ck on her ****** and then say You cant have any. ..I'm tired of being brought up to be let down. We need to win the games against elite teams to be contenders in the Nfl...I'm sorry

I still don't think Turner is done. There just aint no holes there folks. I thought the run blocking was awful last year. It's just turrible this year.

There were no holes for Ivory and Ingram and they pushed forward for 5 yards. Turner used to do that. He doesn't anymore.

I still don't think Turner is done. There just aint no holes there folks. I thought the run blocking was awful last year. It's just turrible this year.

He's done.

It isn't just him, because clearly the O-line sucks mightily at run blocking...but a running back who would hit the line with a bit more aggression and anger would find a crease more often than Turner does now.

after watching the whole game, the turning point was after Asante's INT. we got a penalty but those guys were JACKED UP!! coach Smith shut that down. he got onto those dudes for what seemed like 3 to 5 minutes and afterwards they weren't as jacked up and the rest is history. kinda seems like he may taken the emotion out of the guys. plus that WAS NOT a Mike Nolan defensive showing in the first half. sure there were a bunch of missed tackles but that wasn't a Nolan defense, that looked like a coach Smith let's not make any mistakes defense and the guys responded by playing tight