Biggest Problem Remains

Lack of a killer instinct. This doesn't just apply to putting games away. Our defense was soft today. Was bullied and couldn't respond. Only time they stopped the run was when we knew it was going to be three straight runs to get the ball back. The Saints, who have a bottom 3 run offense, ran right down our throats. Repeatedly. We didn't shed blocks. We we pushed off the ball. We didn't tackle. Nobody made a play after Asante's INT.

This easily was Nolan's worst game to date with the Falcons. Graham was the only real threat and was never double teamed. He clearly chewed them out about their poor tackling, but he had no answer for the Saints and when he did, his players dropped the ball. Our defense is not violent. Look at the better, playoff caliber defenses. They are violent. Texans, Bears, Giants, Niners, Seahawks. They are violent. We aren't. We will continue to have problems and get pushed around until we can play pissed off and violent. Period. They ran right at our DTs and MLB and we had no answer. Nobody got off their blocks or made tackles.

We didn't take it to the Saints. Not in the slightest. That has been a problem for us since 08. We have never taken the fight to another top notch caliber team. We've always played reactionary football. Until that changes, this team will struggle against any kind of playoff caliber team.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lack of a killer instinct. This doesn't just apply to putting games away. Our defense was soft today. Was bullied and couldn't respond. Only time they stopped the run was when we knew it was going to be three straight runs to get the ball back. The Saints, who have a bottom 3 run offense, ran right down our throats. Repeatedly. We didn't shed blocks. We we pushed off the ball. We didn't tackle. Nobody made a play after Asante's INT.

This easily was Nolan's worst game to date with the Falcons. Graham was the only real threat and was never double teamed. He clearly chewed them out about their poor tackling, but he had no answer for the Saints and when he did, his players dropped the ball. Our defense is not violent. Look at the better, playoff caliber defenses. They are violent. Texans, Bears, Giants, Niners, Seahawks. They are violent. We aren't. We will continue to have problems and get pushed around until we can play pissed off and violent. Period. They ran right at our DTs and MLB and we had no answer. Nobody got off their blocks or made tackles.

We didn't take it to the Saints. Not in the slightest. That has been a problem for us since 08. We have never taken the fight to another top notch caliber team. We've always played reactionary football. Until that changes, this team will struggle against any kind of playoff caliber team.

Hey vel, being that we have new coordinators but same head coach and GM since then, do you think it has to do with the personnel or Mike Smiths style of practices and playing mistake free ball?

I thought nolan made wonderful adjustments or halftime speech because they started to bring it midway thru the 3rd quarter and held the Saints in check all through out. I just can't wait till we can get Nolan's own players infused with these guys.

I don't know what happened to W. Moore. He used to be one of our fearsome hitters during his first two seasons in the league. Now, he doesn't seem imposing when he tackles anymore just like mike peterson. I'm trying to figure it out but can't place a finger on why other teams defenses can tackle with such ferocity to stop guys immediately on contact but ours, even if they were once great wood bringers with their previous teams, hit like girls. They lack nastiness and that sense of recklessness you see other teams play with.

Anyways, I said all that to say I don't think its Nolans fault. This has been an ongoing problem since the Reeves and Wade Phillips era ended. Our guys hit like girls man. Corners are small and can't play bump and run coverage along with lacking beef in the interior like most of Nolan's Ds used to have. Its going to be interesting who Dimitroff brings in for Nolan this offseason because I think Nolan is doing as much as he can do with this personnel Dimitroff is so in love with

Hey vel, being that we have new coordinators but same head coach and GM since then, do you think it has to do with the personnel or Mike Smiths style of practices and playing mistake free ball?

I thought nolan made wonderful adjustments or halftime speech because they started to bring it midway thru the 3rd quarter and held the Saints in check all through out. I just can't wait till we can get Nolan's own players infused with these guys.

I don't know what happened to W. Moore. He used to be one of our fearsome hitters during his first two seasons in the league. Now, he doesn't seem imposing when he tackles anymore just like mike peterson. I'm trying to figure it out but can't place a finger on why other teams defenses can tackle with such ferocity to stop guys immediately on contact but ours, even if they were once great wood bringers with their previous teams, hit like girls. They lack nastiness and that sense of recklessness you see other teams play with.

Anyways, I said all that to say I don't think its Nolans fault. This has been an ongoing problem since the Reeves and Wade Phillips era ended. Our guys hit like girls man. Corners are small and can't play bump and run coverage along with lacking beef in the interior like most of Nolan's Ds used to have. Its going to be interesting who Dimitroff brings in for Nolan this offseason because I think Nolan is doing as much as he can do with this personnel Dimitroff is so in love with

There was The Fearsome Foursome, and The Purple People Eaters, and The Monsters of the Midway; how the eff did we end up with The Women's Social Club??

Play like this will result in another one and done. Our inability to get 1 yard is a disgrace. Major changes need to be made in the OL and Turner needs benching. Let him go get his drink on.

With the exception of Konz, it wouldn't disturb me if they cut the whole starting OL and Turner as well. They're getting worse instead of better.

i went in for work at 3:30 and the last play i heard was another Gonzo TD, could someone explain what i missed today. from watching the game from 1st to 3rd quarter our defense struggled and couldnt wrap up for anything. dent is flat out worthless and missing spoon played a huge factor in the game. the offseason should be nothing but overhauling the defense and finding a RB that doesnt dance at the line instead of planting that foot and go. the offense is good, but the defense is still average and cutting drob would be necessary cut, dude is hot trash.

Edited by Threepac Daddy

We showed heart and killer instincts. We just can't run or stop the run for the most part. We aren't a complete team. We are just a very discipline team who has a good bit of talent. We are the NFL's Alabama Crimson Tide.

nah bama is a good team, just young players over there this year and its showing. falcons have a good offense and a very avg defense.

There was The Fearsome Foursome, and The Purple People Eaters, and The Monsters of the Midway; how the eff did we end up with The Women's Social Club??

So so you think its personnel problem or coaching style problem? Do you think Dimitroff isn't drafting players with nasty disposition or Mike Smith is too uptight in practice about wanting to play mistake free?

i went in for work at 3:30 and the last play i heard was another Gonzo TD, could someone explain what i missed today. from watching the game from 1st to 3rd quarter our defense struggled and couldnt wrap up for anything. dent is flat out worthless and missing spoon played a huge factor in the game. the offseason should be nothing but overhauling the defense and finding a RB that doesnt dance at the line instead of planting that foot and go. the offense is good, but the defense is still average and cutting drob would be necessary cut, dude is hot trash.

From my point of view,

The defense didn't tackle at all, we had no pass rush at all, this defense couldn't have stopped Billy Graham, much less Jimmy, we made 2 costly 15 yard penalities, the Taints were getting constant pressure with 4 guys, our OL couldn't open a hole big enough for light to get through, and when they did Turner doesn't hit the whole until it's closed, Turner is done he has nothing left,

From my point of view,

The defense didn't tackle at all, we had no pass rush at all, this defense couldn't have stopped Billy Graham, much less Jimmy, we made 2 costly 15 yard penalities, the Taints were getting constant pressure with 4 guys, our OL couldn't open a hole big enough for light to get through, and when they did Turner doesn't hit the whole until it's closed, Turner is done he has nothing left,

I thought the defense did much better during the 2nd half. They shut the saints offense down which I thought was impossible to do. I remember in the past when Brees would figure out our defensive gameplan whether it took 2 quarters or 3, our def usually takes a nosedive. Instead, Nolans defense came out after halftime and manned up enough to stop the run and limit 3rd down conversions. Despite a bad 1st half, they gave the offense more than enough opportunities to take the game.

It looks like we all know who really get's the D hyped........Spoon.

It looks like we all know who really get's the D hyped........Spoon.

True but Spoon has been guilty of this too.I laugh at how Turner cant fall forward for a yard on first contact but chris ivory and every other teams running back require 3 to 4 of our guys getting dragged while gang tackling before they are brought down....Are we just too nice or something?

I love Mike Nolan. Love him.

But I have to say, the biggest concern I have right now is a defense that cannot seem to figure out how to tackle until the 2nd half. We've had WAY too many close games this season because our defense doesn't decide to play until the 2nd half. This is one of them. We couldn't stop New Orleans for anything in the 1st half. Props to Samuel for the pick, but after that, it looked like the 2010 playoff game versus the Pack for the rest of the 1st half. It was awful.

If the defense had played 2 halves like they played the 2nd, we'd have likely won.

I have criticisms of the offense too, but we the offense put up 21 points. I think the goal line offense was bad, running game was weak, play calling was questionable at times. But at the end of the day, the defense just let them run over us in the 1st half and that cost us the game.

I love Mike Nolan. Love him.

But I have to say, the biggest concern I have right now is a defense that cannot seem to figure out how to tackle until the 2nd half. We've had WAY too many close games this season because our defense doesn't decide to play until the 2nd half. This is one of them. We couldn't stop New Orleans for anything in the 1st half. Props to Samuel for the pick, but after that, it looked like the 2010 playoff game versus the Pack for the rest of the 1st half. It was awful.

If the defense had played 2 halves like they played the 2nd, we'd have likely won.

I have criticisms of the offense too, but we the offense put up 21 points. I think the goal line offense was bad, running game was weak, play calling was questionable at times. But at the end of the day, the defense just let them run over us in the 1st half and that cost us the game.

Against Denver we played great in the first half and like ish the 2nd...

Against Denver we played great in the first half and like ish the 2nd...

I had forgotten that one. Still, I remember too many that went the other way, and besides, why can't the defense just play 2 **** halves of football?

And it's not scheme or anything like that -- scheme doesn't dictate what angle you take to the ballcarrier, or whether you wrap him up when you try to tackle him. That 50+ yard Ivory TD run is indicative of how our defense just loses all sense of fundamentals for half a game. Someone needs to light a fire under them.

The Falcons are a finesse football team. That's what they have been, and that is what they will continue to be.

When they lose, it's going to be due to the ramifications of being a finesse football team i.e. can't get 1 yard with 3 cracks to win the game.

I think that's right, which is why every time someone starts a draft thread, I play the same broken record -- build the lines. Both of them. Every year. Until we can convert a **** 4th and inches every time, without fail.

We can draft some linebackers too. I'm not dogmatic about it.

I thought you were gonna say Mularkey. Points per game are falling fast. Will likely end up below the Mularkey level. Still can't convert a 3rd and 1. Can't score in the red zone worth a dam. With all these weapons. Even against the worst defense in the history of the league. What you think son?

Nolan doesn't have talent on defensive side of ball ..

TD fault

Ray Edwards bum

Dunta a piece of trash ...still

Decoud serviceable but will never take next step

Jerry a waste as interior

Abe is getting old and double teamed

TD allows Lofton to walk

Dent avg talent

Spoon / Abe / Moore - only legit talent on defense and Spoon hurt

Moore inconsistent

I thought you were gonna say Mularkey. Points per game are falling fast. Will likely end up below the Mularkey level. Still can't convert a 3rd and 1. Can't score in the red zone worth a dam. With all these weapons. Even against the worst defense in the history of the league. What you think son?

Konz wasn't the answer .. Ever since we lost Dahl our team lost that fight inside