How I Saw It

sandtrap

1. Penalties plagued us all game. 6 penalties for 53 yards was killer. Particularly the one by Asante. I can understand holding, or PI sometimes because they happen. What I can't stand, and Smitty clearly agrees, are stupid stupid stupid stupid penalties like the one they called on Asante and Moore.

2. Running game is still a problem but clearly there is one major reason for it. Michael Turner. I hate to admit it but he's done for. Unless he has a 20 yard wide hole, he seems perfectly fine just running directly into the backs of the offensive linemen and hope they can push him through. Did you see the big gain Quizz got on that run? I guarantee that Turner would not have been able to get around the end like that. Turner gained 15 yards on 13 carries. 15 YARDS ON 13 CARRIES! Quizz got 29 yards on 3 carries. Matt Ryan almost ran for the same yards/carry as Turner. Get Quizz more carries. Turner should be spelling Quizz at this point.

3. Play calling in general was fairly conservative. Both sides of the ball, we seemed a bit timid. Felt like we should have gone for the 2 point conversion on the last TD. Ryan did a good job and had an excellent game but the play calling in general seemed a little flat.

4. Matt Ryan was sharp throughout the game but had some critical bad throws wrong reads that played a major role in our loss. On the 4th and goal where he missed Roddy, that was a bad throw. Period. Ryan threw it behind Roddy and gave the defender room to come in and knock the ball out. Also, on the final drive, where he sailed it out of bounds to Julio, the entire right side of the field was wide open. Also on the play to Roddy, it was a good read but there was a defender there. Harry was WIDE OPEN for a 20 yard game and along the sidelines. Live to play another down there. It's a small critique and that goes to show how well Ryan played. We didn't lose this game because of him, **** we were in it because of him, but I was disappointed in those few throws.

5. WRAP UP THE TACKLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This defense needs to go back to elementary school. Duanta is notorious for this, but it's all over our team. We have this idea that we can just knock anyone down by lowering our shoulder and throwing it at the ball carrier. We would have prevented some long gains if we made some tackles. The big run in the first where Asante got embarrassed and then Duanta got stuffed by the stiff arm was appalling.

6. We still lack pressure from our D Line. I love our guys, and this is a fairly good O-line but still, we need to dial up some pressure. You can't give Brees a calm and clean pocket to scan the field. I'm not an NFL coordinator but even I know that the games Brees struggles, are when he feels the pressure. Give him time and he'll find the open receiver.

7. I knew going into this game that Jimmy Graham was their biggest threat. Why did we have to wait until the second half to make adjustments? He was WIDE OPEN on wayyy too many plays. That leads to #8.

8. LORD HAVE MERCY, WE NEED SPOON BACK. Stephen Nicholas has playedy admirably as has Dent, but we really need Spoon back. He's sorely missed throughout all areas of the defense. I hope he's back next week.

9. Red zone offense needs serious work. We started this season off saying that we expect to score a TD on every possession. That's great but getting held to 2 FGs and 3/6 in the Red Zone is horrible.

10. GET FRANKS OFF PUNT RETURNS. NOW.

Time to rise up. We got our first lost. Forget the BS, win more games and let's get ourselves in position for what's really important, playoff success, multiple post-season wins and the ultimate prize. Stayed focused!!!!!!

1. Penalties plagued us all game. 6 penalties for 53 yards was killer. Particularly the one by Asante. I can understand holding, or PI sometimes because they happen. What I can't stand, and Smitty clearly agrees, are stupid stupid stupid stupid penalties like the one they called on Asante and Moore.

2. Running game is still a problem but clearly there is one major reason for it. Michael Turner. I hate to admit it but he's done for. Unless he has a 20 yard wide hole, he seems perfectly fine just running directly into the backs of the offensive linemen and hope they can push him through. Did you see the big gain Quizz got on that run? I guarantee that Turner would not have been able to get around the end like that. Turner gained 15 yards on 13 carries. 15 YARDS ON 13 CARRIES! Quizz got 29 yards on 3 carries. Matt Ryan almost ran for the same yards/carry as Turner. Get Quizz more carries. Turner should be spelling Quizz at this point.

3. Play calling in general was fairly conservative. Both sides of the ball, we seemed a bit timid. Felt like we should have gone for the 2 point conversion on the last TD. Ryan did a good job and had an excellent game but the play calling in general seemed a little flat.

4. Matt Ryan was sharp throughout the game but had some critical bad throws wrong reads that played a major role in our loss. On the 4th and goal where he missed Roddy, that was a bad throw. Period. Ryan threw it behind Roddy and gave the defender room to come in and knock the ball out. Also, on the final drive, where he sailed it out of bounds to Julio, the entire right side of the field was wide open. Also on the play to Roddy, it was a good read but there was a defender there. Harry was WIDE OPEN for a 20 yard game and along the sidelines. Live to play another down there. It's a small critique and that goes to show how well Ryan played. We didn't lose this game because of him, **** we were in it because of him, but I was disappointed in those few throws.

5. WRAP UP THE TACKLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This defense needs to go back to elementary school. Duanta is notorious for this, but it's all over our team. We have this idea that we can just knock anyone down by lowering our shoulder and throwing it at the ball carrier. We would have prevented some long gains if we made some tackles. The big run in the first where Asante got embarrassed and then Duanta got stuffed by the stiff arm was appalling.

6. We still lack pressure from our D Line. I love our guys, and this is a fairly good O-line but still, we need to dial up some pressure. You can't give Brees a calm and clean pocket to scan the field. I'm not an NFL coordinator but even I know that the games Brees struggles, are when he feels the pressure. Give him time and he'll find the open receiver.

7. I knew going into this game that Jimmy Graham was their biggest threat. Why did we have to wait until the second half to make adjustments? He was WIDE OPEN on wayyy too many plays. That leads to #8.

8. LORD HAVE MERCY, WE NEED SPOON BACK. Stephen Nicholas has playedy admirably as has Dent, but we really need Spoon back. He's sorely missed throughout all areas of the defense. I hope he's back next week.

9. Red zone offense needs serious work. We started this season off saying that we expect to score a TD on every possession. That's great but getting held to 2 FGs and 3/6 in the Red Zone is horrible.

10. GET FRANKS OFF PUNT RETURNS. NOW.

Time to rise up. We got our first lost. Forget the BS, win more games and let's get ourselves in position for what's really important, playoff success, multiple post-season wins and the ultimate prize. Stayed focused!!!!!!

I don't understand why we are not focused on suring up our D. It's obvious we are thin on depth and Abs needs some help on pass rush!

Still our team has been amazing to get to 8-1 and I still believe we can go all the way. We just need more focus and someone to Fire Up the hunger in our players!!!

Agree with most everything you mentioned in OP. All the weaknesses this team has had since the Smith regime began are still in evidence ~ an OL that can't seem to get the job done on a consistent basis, no pass rush except for Abe, who is usually double-teamed into having almost no impact; abominable tackling every single week, with the exception of the Eagles game. Specifically discussing this game, the game plan was timid on offense and defense. This coaching staff seems to have become hopelessly locked into the Mike Smith play-it-safe and try-not-to-lose mentality. I'm so sick of that wimpy style of play I could kick kittens. And somehow not only does the Defense fail to get any heat on Brees or stop the run, Graham had a field day on the secondary, with Moore's pathetic coverage on that last big gainer being the icing on the FailCake. The Red Zone ineptitude also is inexcusable. This team doesn't have even ONE goal-line play they can score a TD with when they have to have it? Nobody on our sideline has the creativity to come up with anything to make two yards and score a TD? Pathetic. And yes, there's Franks, a bigger waste of a roster spot than even Ray Edwards. As for as whether or not Spoon would have made a significant difference in this game; it's hard to say, but considering the Falcons got pretty thoroughly drubbed in all phases of the game including the coaching, I doubt his absence mattered.

Edited by PokerSteve

I saw on TV that we're like 44-0 or something to that effect when we have a lead of 6pts or more going into the 4th quarter. That's excellent, but we have no kill shot. Not that it mattered here, but against the saints, I think Smitty really thinks too highly of Brees. The one time I saw the Falcons under Smitty terrorize Brees, we held the dude to like 100 yards in the first half of that game last year. Then, we came out in the second half and played soft zone. Got burned and lost the game. Nolan better learn from this game. He's been an excellent coordinator but we're nothing if we can't beat our divisional rivals.

After calming down now, I really do see that we lost this game to ourselves. We didn't execute well and players didn't really play up to the bill today. Our offense left too many plays out on the field and the defense needs to get back to basics. Nolan put guys in the right position but when your DBs are peeking into the back field and biting on double moves and PA like EVERY PLAY, guys are going to be wide open. That's simple.