The New Jim Crow

lostone

Welcome to Ron Paul/Liberatarian view points circa 1988 but he's a "kook"...biggrin.png

I don't really view it as a libertarian view, it's a common sense view. The War on Drugs has been an abject failure on every level except for the prison-industrial complex. Billions upon billions of dollars spent, millions upon millions incarcerated, and what do we have to show for it? Usage rates have not gone down and, if anything, have increased, the illicit drugs have become more potent, poor communities have gone very far downhill, cartels and gangs are becoming more and more powerful and brazen, and the only thing we have to show for it are full prisons which are being shifted to private corporations (whose stock prices went down after the Colorado and Washington marijuana legalization became known).

This is alcohol prohibition under a new guise and it is long past time to realize that the War on Drugs is as big of a failure of alcohol prohibition

I don't really view it as a libertarian view, it's a common sense view. The War on Drugs has been an abject failure on every level except for the prison-industrial complex. Billions upon billions of dollars spent, millions upon millions incarcerated, and what do we have to show for it? Usage rates have not gone down and, if anything, have increased, the illicit drugs have become more potent, poor communities have gone very far downhill, cartels and gangs are becoming more and more powerful and brazen, and the only thing we have to show for it are full prisons which are being shifted to private corporations (whose stock prices went down after the Colorado and Washington marijuana legalization became known).

This is alcohol prohibition under a new guise and it is long past time to realize that the War on Drugs is as big of a failure of alcohol prohibition

if it is such common sense, explain why neither political party has done anything to fix it?

Reagan directed the media to make the war on drugs the focus... All this crap started with Nixon... It's only purpose was to drive a wedge between poor whites and blacks... And keep them at their current level. Time to end this bull ish campaign...

Look it up, the War on Drugs can trace it's beginnings to total racist white folk. The white congressman in the SW led the fight to have herb criminalized to punish mexicans. Southern congressman led the fight against cocaine, even claiming blacks used it to seduce white women. Of course that's still true today, but white guys use it for the same reason ;)

Honestly looking over history makes it very hard to vote republican anymore... I now get why my extremely intelligent manager was not independent... Nixon + Reagan + Bush followed by Clinton trying to get the poor white vote...

No child left behind and the EoGs are just making our kids stupid... Learning how to take a test rather than actual learning and critical thinking...

Honestly looking over history makes it very hard to vote republican anymore... I now get why my extremely intelligent manager was not independent... Nixon + Reagan + Bush followed by Clinton trying to get the poor white vote...

No child left behind and the EoGs are just making our kids stupid... Learning how to take a test rather than actual learning and critical thinking...

Thats called maintaining a lower class.

You can bet your lucky stars the elite kids arent being taught to "Just take tests"

That is why if you have kids then you cant afford to let them go to public schools. I dont give a sheet how "good" the so-called district is. Good public schools are just the ones which teaches its pupils the best way to take standardized tests.

if it is such common sense, explain why neither political party has done anything to fix it?

2 reasons.

1. A lot of money is spent in Washington to keep these laws in place. Prison and Police force lobbyists drive it home that "marijuana is bad". But at the end of the day we all know that local police forces get a significant amount of their extra income from major drug busts and that keeping the privatized prisons filled, keeps those 7 figure checks rolling in. Even a small amount of research would show you why it hasn't been legalized, yet.

2. There still a social taboo to many of the voting demographics. A lot of the older voters, especially conservatives, still live in this fantasy land where they think smoking weed will mean all the black people are going to pillage our towns and rape our women (see Truthhurts comments on the initial criminalization). Then you have these "studies" that were performed in the late 60s/early 70s that gave the illusions that marijuana killed brain cells. What they didn't tell you about those studies is that for those studies, they put gas masks on the test subjects (monkeys) and pumped marijuana smoke constantly for well over an hour. This can lead to suffocation, which is a very common cause of bran cell death. Subsequent, independent studies have been performed and those same results have NEVER been reproduced. But people have always had this faux idea that marijuana kills brain cells because of this one, single, agenda driven study.

I could go one, but those are the two main reason why we haven't seen congress touch this thing, yet.

2 reasons.

1. A lot of money is spent in Washington to keep these laws in place. Prison and Police force lobbyists drive it home that "marijuana is bad". But at the end of the day we all know that local police forces get a significant amount of their extra income from major drug busts and that keeping the privatized prisons filled, keeps those 7 figure checks rolling in. Even a small amount of research would show you why it hasn't been legalized, yet.

2. There still a social taboo to many of the voting demographics. A lot of the older voters, especially conservatives, still live in this fantasy land where they think smoking weed will mean all the black people are going to pillage our towns and rape our women (see Truthhurts comments on the initial criminalization). Then you have these "studies" that were performed in the late 60s/early 70s that gave the illusions that marijuana killed brain cells. What they didn't tell you about those studies is that for those studies, they put gas masks on the test subjects (monkeys) and pumped marijuana smoke constantly for well over an hour. This can lead to suffocation, which is a very common cause of bran cell death. Subsequent, independent studies have been performed and those same results have NEVER been reproduced. But people have always had this faux idea that marijuana kills brain cells because of this one, single, agenda driven study.

I could go one, but those are the two main reason why we haven't seen congress touch this thing, yet.

so mostly it is because both sides are corrupt

that was more my point. if it is common sense and neither side is willing to address it, then both sides are focused on something other than the good of the country (at least in this case)

so mostly it is because both sides are corrupt

that was more my point. if it is common sense and neither side is willing to address it, then both sides are focused on something other than the good of the country (at least in this case)

Yeah, I guess I missed your point on that one. I couldn't agree more, though. Money in politics is slowly ruining our government.

simple solution: Do what most Americans do and stop reading the book.

Stay blind, enjoy the fact that that none of these things affect you because you are not black or brown. In reality the police can take anything you own and there is not a thing you can do about it because of the war on drugs. They have made it easy to violate the 4 th amendment and nearly impossible for the law to violate the 14th due to the Supreme Court.