William Moore " We'll Have Something Special Going On This Week."

daybumper

Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan's schemes and the execution by the players has flustered some of the best quarterbacks in the league this season including Denver's Peyton Manning, San Diego's Philip Rivers and Philadelphia's Michael Vick.

He'll certainly have some coverages and packages ready for New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, a six-time Pro Bowler.

"Coach Nolan has always got something brewing," safety William Moore said. "I'm sure he took a deep look at New Orleans a long time ago. We'll have something special going on this week."

Nolan considers Brees one of the top quarterbacks in the red zone, inside the opponents' 20-yard line.

"They're No. 1 in red zone, and I believe they were in the top 3, if not No. 1, when he was at San Diego," Nolan said. "It says a lot about who's pulling the trigger in how you good you are in the red zone."

Nolan considers Brees to be in a class with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

"He makes everyone around him a better player, which is exactly what guys like Peyton and Tom do," Nolan said. "They all make everyone around them very good. The stats all support everything he does. They're No. 1 in a lot of things."

Brees plans to be ready for Nolan's attack.

"It's obviously a good challenge for us even though it's the same personnel, they are doing some new things that we have to be on top of," Brees said. "We are studying a way to make sure that we are prepared to play."

This will be Brees' first time facing the Falcons defense under the direction of Nolan.

"He's done a great job in conjunction with (head coach) Mike Smith," Brees said. "I think you see both of their styles in what they are doing. It's a good blend of both."

The Falcons made it clear during the draft that they needed to revamp their offensive line.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff spent their first two picks on linemen and then signed several undrafted prospects with the hopes of becoming more powerful and athletic.

While marching out to 8-0, the Falcons have had their assessment re-affirmed as they continue to struggle in short-yardage situations and have had a problem getting the rushing attack to perform consistently at a high level.

The three athletic linemen on the roster to keep an eye on are Peter Konz, Lamar Holmes and Phillipkeith Manley.

Konz, a second-round pick and 55th player taken overall, has started the last two games at right guard. Manley, a mauler from Toledo, was elevated to the active roster when former starter Garrett Reynolds was placed on injured reserve with a back injury.

Reynolds, 6-7, 310 pounds, was originally selected by the Falcons in the fifth round (156th overall) of the 2009 NFL draft. In four seasons with the Falcons, Reynolds has played in 28 games with 14 starts including six games this season. He had a base salary of $615,000 this season and will become a free agent in 2013.

Manley, 6-5, 309 pounds, was signed by the Falcons as an undrafted free agent on April 30. In 2011, Manley helped pave the way for Toledo's offense to rush for 2,777 yards.

Reynolds re-secured his job that he lost after seven games last season. Joe Hawley finished the 2011 season as the starter.

The Falcons held an open competition along the offensive line after struggling in short-yardage situations and seeing quarterback Matt Ryan get hit too often last season. They used their first two draft picks on offensive linemen and hired a new line coach as part of the restructure.

Reynolds or "Big Country" as he is called by teammates and coaches, spent his first year on the practice squad.

Reynolds hit a low last season after he had a difficult game against Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, who romped around the Falcons' backfield for much of the game. The Pro Bowler finished with five tackles (one for a loss), a sack and a quarterback hit. Reynolds was replaced by Hawley after the ensuing bye week.

The line struggled to block the New York Giants in the playoffs, which led to a change in philosophy to the more athletic front.

In the future, Konz will move over to center. Manley can man one of the guards and Holmes will have to unseat either Sam Baker or Tyson Clabo.

SERIES HISTORY: 86th regular-season meeting. Falcons lead series, 45-40. The Saints have controlled this rivalry recently. They have won three in a row, six of the last seven and 10 of the last 12 games.

Holmes is a massive dude. That would an enormous line if he beats out baker.

I'd be interested to see him at RT first Clabo aint no slouch but he has been sub par a bit this season. Putting Holmes in might just freshen things up give Clabo less reps and some rest and get Holmes in on the plan. Pk Manley too needs to find out if he;'s got game at this level maybe squeeze him between Konz @ C and Clabo @ RT later in the game and let Turner and Quizz run back to Atlanta

I sure hope Nolan and Koetter have something special for the AINTS. I'm tired of this team losing to the Breeses because we had dumb and dumber as coordinators during those years. New year, new coordinators, new swag...we should definitely see a different Falcons team against the tidy bowl gang.

"He's done a great job in conjunction with (head coach) Mike Smith," Brees said. "I think you see both of their styles in what they are doing. It's a good blend of both."

...a little something for the BVG bashers.

"Coach Nolan has always got something brewing," safety William Moore said. "I'm sure he took a deep look at New Orleans a long time ago. We'll have something special going on this week."

I think Nolan is what we need as a "D" coordinator, but Willy MO, you will waste it with those O-Lay tackle attempts...and a host of other players.

Just wrap up and everything will be fine.

...a little something for the BVG bashers.

I think Nolan is what we need as a "D" coordinator, but Willy MO, you will waste it with those O-Lay tackle attempts...and a host of other players.

Just wrap up and everything will be fine.

Agree. Moore is going too many times for a knock out blow when a player he is attacking has good balance. He should only go for those type of hits if its close to out of bounds. Last week vs Cowboys he had 2-3 missed tackles going for a blow..Plus he is going in with his elbows in and not even thinking about wrapping up

The 4-2-5 scheme this week with bubble shell. ..I fully expect Asante to keep Colston from going off. I worry about the deep ball though and if Brees catches him trying to jump a route if he is matched up vs Moore. If I was Nolan for some stange reason I would spy Jimmy Graham with Dunta Robinson and let him be physical with Jimmy off the line . I feel Dunta can match up well with Jimmy

I'm ready for change. So happy we won't come in with the same old looks and hope drew misses a few throws. How many years did we have to suffer through a drew brees air assault watching him feed off of our old coordinators inability to ADJUST... IMO it is the single most aggravating falcons moments I can ever recall. Can we shut brees down...no. But getting off the field on 3rd every now and then would certainly be a good start....

The 4-2-5 scheme this week with bubble shell. ..I fully expect Asante to keep Colston from going off. I worry about the deep ball though and if Brees catches him trying to jump a route if he is matched up vs Moore. If I was Nolan for some stange reason I would spy Jimmy Graham with Dunta Robinson and let him be physical with Jimmy off the line . I feel Dunta can match up well with Jimmy

I don't like the run deep into the secondary look with Dent last game. He initially turned towards the side that had coverage and neglected the 1

v 1 situation with Dunta on that bomb in the Dallas game. They better figure that out against Brees. I'm hoping for a good push up the

middle, and Abe being a factor.

I don't like the run deep into the secondary look with Dent last game. He initially turned towards the side that had coverage and neglected the 1

v 1 situation with Dunta on that bomb in the Dallas game. They better figure that out against Brees. I'm hoping for a good push up the

middle, and Abe being a factor.

were missing Spoon as a pass rusher OLB ...Our front 4 has been inconsistent getting pressure and last week vs Romo just looked non existent .. I hope Nolan changes it up a little and bring the blitz . It seems we are not bringing the pass rush and allowing a QB to sit back in pocket and dictate . Abe is out there by himself. Babs has played well in the middle and made a play when we needed him to

Ray Edwards is a complete waste

Sidbury ???????????????????

Bierman has solid with pressures he just needs to finishes plays

But I didn't like reading they have beaten us 10 of the last 12 games. No wonder I hate em.

Saints have pretty much owned us past 4 year..If Falcons have really changed and the OC/DC make a true difference we take 2 from them this year. Its not going to be easy but they are without Payton and we are at 8-0 and playing solid football. If one year a split is unacceptable this is the year. Lets get both ..

Had to stop and think after that first sentence -

Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan's schemes and the execution by the players has flustered some of the best quarterbacks in the league this season including Denver's Peyton Manning, San Diego's Philip Rivers and Philadelphia's Michael Vick.

I'm pretty sure two of those names don't belong on the 'best quarterbacks' list.

Edited by JOEinPHX

were missing Spoon as a pass rusher OLB ...Our front 4 has been inconsistent getting pressure and last week vs Romo just looked non existent .. I hope Nolan changes it up a little and bring the blitz . It seems we are not bringing the pass rush and allowing a QB to sit back in pocket and dictate . Abe is out there by himself. Babs has played well in the middle and made a play when we needed him to

I slightly disagree. Halfway through the year, we're tied for 15th with sacks & #10 in QB hits. Just like everyone wants Spags to send the house against Matt, I'd imagine Nolan knows it's probably just as deadly to do that with Brees & their weapons. Last week was different from the previous years, in that our failure to bring Romo down wasn't a knock on our line, it was just that Romo was just extra elusive.

Edited by OC

Walker has played well and blown up many plays with Babs...like what Nolan is doing with the DT.

If we are going to bail the mlb, Dent has to have better recognition(coverage) or put in James or Hope on those plays.

The Sidbury enigma is puzzling.

Walker has played well and blown up many plays with Babs...like what Nolan is doing with the DT.

yeah...last week Nolan went heavy with 3 DT rotation...but when Jerry got hurt he went back . Saints last week vs Eagles looked to run ball with Ingram/Thomas/and now added Ivory back into mix . I wonder what Nolan has up sleeve

I'm not worried about the aints backs. They are average at best without Sproles. Ingram has been a wasted #1 pick.

The numero uno thing I always see is that Pierre Thomas always breaks tackles. The guy just has a knack for bouncing off tackles. He almost never goes down on initial contact. Wrap up falcons!

As always, stopping that passing game will be the key.

yeah...last week Nolan went heavy with 3 DT rotation...but when Jerry got hurt he went back . Saints last week vs Eagles looked to run ball with Ingram/Thomas/and now added Ivory back into mix . I wonder what Nolan has up sleeve

3 DT and a helping of sound tackling...players should be getting chewed out.

Nolan should run the same "D" as he did against Dallas and school Dent(or replace) some more...Falcons tackling was piss/poor at times.

against Dallas.

Nobody's scheme makes up for poor fundamentals.