Roddy Speaks On 16-0

freebird310

Roddy White says Atlanta Falcons can go 16-0

By Marc Sessler

Published: November08,2012at8:02 AM ET

Modified: November 08, 2012 at 10:54AM ET

Roddy White has thrown down the gauntlet. The Atlanta Falcons ' wide receiver believes his undefeated team can turn 8-0 into 16-0.

"I think we got the pedigree to do it," White told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution . "You know how we are on offense and defense and how we are as a team. This locker room's very, very united right now. Every week we expect to win. There's not a time that I felt like we went into a ballgame (so) far this year that I felt like we (weren't) going to win."

The Falcons haven't traveled this far by chance. Their eighth-ranked offense has rained down 27.5 points per game. Quarterback Matt Ryan is comfortably operating the no-huddle attack and finds himself in the middle of an MVP-type season.

The defense isn't dominant, but allows just 17.9 points per game, fourth in the NFL. The Falcons aren't covering up a major weakness.

Can they do it? Only the 1972 Miami Dolphins have registered a perfect season. The 2007 New England Patriots were the most recent team to go undefeated through the regular season, but that team was bounced by the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLII.

Atlanta's won a handful of tight games in recent weeks, but nobody's really tested the Falcons . They knocked off the Denver Broncos in Week 2 , but three additional wins have come against a weak AFC West. The meat of their schedule is ahead, with two games each against the improving New Orleans Saints and Tampa Bay Buccaneers . The New York Giants come to town in Week 15.

The undefeated chatter is window dressing. Under coach Mike Smith , the Falcons have learned how to succeed in the regular season. January has been their poison. Unless that changes two months from now, none of this will matter.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL .

Lofton: "Roddy White" better not come across the middle.

SR poster:"Or what? Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins will chase him into the endzone and hit him while he is doing a TD dance?

None of our defensive players are in any position to talk right now. I really like Lofton but ****, go out on the field and show us (and the Falcons) then talk."

SR poster:"Or what? Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins will chase him into the endzone and hit him while he is doing a TD dance?

None of our defensive players are in any position to talk right now. I really like Lofton but ****, go out on the field and show us (and the Falcons) then talk."

laugh.png