We Don't Need A New Stadium

Nono

The entire Mike Smith Era has me rethinking the need for a new $1,000,000,000 (billion) dollar stadium. I kinda like the Ga. Dome. Everytime I go I think of all the great wins over the last 4 years. Its clean, relatively affordable, food is expensive enough already and great to watch a game.

This is all about Mr. Blank controling the revenues for parking and concessions. I hate the thought of PSL's. Right now I am surrounded by middle class rowdy fans cheering. I fear the new stadium will be built for the luxury suites or folks who really could care less about whats happening on the field.

We have an incredible home record, I ask giving the way the economy is still struggling to grow, why in the holy F do we need to spend that much money to enjoy what we already have???

In the words of the late great Lewis Grizzard "don't fix something that aint broken"

Edited by Nono

There is no "need", it is is a want... BTW, Your number is wrong with all the zeros, it is not 1 trillion...

Mr. Blank has invested lots of time and money improving the team and the Falcons brand.... God bless him for any thing he considers to increase his revenues... Obama didn't build that...

Not a fan of PSL'S.... Doubt they occur, are maybe only in a limited number of seats...

So drop the "we"' and show some respect for Mr. Bkank's wishes... IMHO

There is no "need", it is is a want... BTW, Your number is wrong with all the zeros, it is not 1 trillion...

Mr. Blank has invested lots of time and money improving the team and the Falcons brand.... God bless him for any thing he considers to increase his revenues... Obama didn't build that...

Not a fan of PSL'S.... Doubt they occur, are maybe only in a limited number of seats...

So drop the "we"' and show some respect for Mr. Bkank's wishes... IMHO

fixed----with all due respect Mr. Blank's wishes are my concern and I am voicing my opinion that a new stadium is going to "drive out" a lot of "the average fans"

superbowl fine but thats a one and done mentality for a billion dollars

this is "my" team too and this is my opinion!!

Edited by Nono

Arthur Blank wants the revenue as stated before and he wants a Super Bowl. Have you been inside the dome lately? Have you ever been to other stadiums before bacause that concrete bland wall building is not getting another Super Bowl. If you've never been to the dome it can be a pain in the *** just to find your seats. I mean even Philips Arena and Turner Field are better looking and constructed inside and I know they are a different type of venue but still better then the dome. Do we need a new stadium? NO! Do I see what Blank is doing and trying to compete with new stadiums? Yes.

Edited by MQDnATL01

Arthur Blank wants the revenue as stated before and he wants a Super Bowl. Have you been inside the dome lately? Have you ever been to other stadiums before bacause that concrete bland wall building is not getting another Super Bowl. If you've never been to the dome it can be a pain in the *** just to find your seats. I mean even Philips Arena and Turner Field are better looking and constructed inside and I know they are a different type of venue but still better then the dome. Do we need a new stadium? NO! Do I see what Blank is doing and trying to compete with new stadiums? Yes.

Have I been to the stadium? yeah section 101 row 26 I go to all the home games and I am an architect that personally thinks we could put a retractable roof on the Ga Dome which looks pretty dam good to me--no offense have you been lately beacause it has come a long way to look a lot more "Falcon Domefield Advantage"

Edited by Nono

I've been to a few and the fact that New Orleans is getting a Super Bowl with that far inferior stadium is beyond me.

I've also been to the Cardinals Stadium and outside of that field that slides outside and the retractable roof....it's worse looking than the GA Dome.

I just don't want PSL's. That would kill me getting season tickets.

Compare it to this Stadium being built right now and being considered to host a superbowl in 2016 (50th superbowl) and yeah, we need a new stadium bad.

http://www.newsantaclarastadium.com/images

I hear ya---yeah beautiful. Just saying if we should show a little fiscal restraint and responsibilty unlike our government

BTW wasn't "fiscal responsibilty" the motto that was coming out of Flowery Branch the last few years when looking at free agents?

Man I could buy a jag (well maybe not) but it makes no sense to me personally when I have a decent ride---bad example Mr. Blank has the money to do what he wants---just saying the average guy is going to get squeezed out---wait and see

Edited by Nono

I hear ya---yeah beautiful. Just saying if we should show a little fiscal restraint and responsibilty unlike our government

BTW wasn't "fiscal responsibilty" the motto that was coing out of Flowery Branch the last few years when looking at free agents?

Man I could buy a jag (well maybe not) but it makes no sense to me personally when I have a decent ride

I can understand what you are saying, but the revenue a new stadium can generate should be pretty obvious (around 11 billion dollars). The niners possibly hosting the super bowl 2 years after the stadium is built, that is going to do well in helping earn the money back being paid for the stadium.

Have I been to the stadium? yeah section 101 row 26 I go to all the home games and I am an architect that personally thinks we could put a retractable roof on the Ga Dome which looks pretty dam good to me--no offense have you been lately beacause it has come a long way to look a lot more "Falcon Domefield Advantage"

Didn't mean any offense with the have you been to the dome lately, I was being a wise ***, I saw where you said you been in your first post but I just think if we want a Super Bowl we need a new stadium to compete with other cities. Also how does Miami keep Super Bowls with that dump they play in.

Didn't mean any offense with the have you been to the dome lately, I was being a wise ***, I saw where you said you been in your first post but I just think if we want a Super Bowl we need a new stadium to compete with other cities. Also how does Miami keep Super Bowls with that dump they play in.

getting a super bowl in Atlanta really isnt a big deal. The superdome is already up for another super bowl in a couple of years and they aren't being forced to build a new stadium. Renovations to stadiums should be enough to gain a super bowl being played there, not spending 800 million + on a new one. Thats complete bs

The Falcons do need a new stadium to be competitive in today's NFL from a revenue generating standpoint. PSL's, I don't think they are a good idea. I was listening to 92.9 and I have to agree, there is no way you could go PSL's for ever seat in a new stadium. Maybe a couple of seats, in the lower level, you know prime between the 30's and only in the lower level, and I say personally, only about half of the rows if that. I just don't think our market works that way. We all know that if the team does not win and display consistancy, fans will not show up.

We hear all the time now how the Cowboys are the first team worth over 2 Billion. What they fail to highlight is that 1.2 billion of that is the new stadium they just opened. However, the game today is the bottom line, not the details.

Also, I hear people say they don’t want their tax dollars going for a new stadium when the money could be spent on education or used to pay police and firemen or even to fix the sewer system. The Atlanta mayor was on 790 a couple of months ago and he mentioned that it is a “hotel/motel” tax that would be put in place to generate the money. I personally don’t know of many Atlanta residents that live in Fulton County and regularly rent motel/hotel rooms. Most of the vocal detractors I don’t really see it affecting. The mayor also pointed out that the Georgia Legislator would never approve a special motel/hotel tax to pay for education, police, firemen or sewer repair. I know you have to be weary of what politicians say, but it does not sound like a bad situation to me. Either way, I don’t live in Fulton so I don’t really get a say/vote when it comes up.

Couple of years ago I had a nice V8 VW Toureag SUV, leather, DVD the works. The maintenance was a nightmare on that car, it was a heavy, gas & oil guzzling vehicle with a lot of extra German tech that only drove the total cost of ownership up. I complained about the money I was dumping into it to my mechanic once and his words were, "you know what they say, you've got to pay to play". Same applies to this situation with the new stadium. If you want to nation to marval at Atlanta, to come here and take part in possible Super Bowls and such, you have to pay to play on the big stage.

Edited by isproab

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

I thought mccay come out and said I'm the beginning that this stadium was not for business at all and football should never be.

I love the idea of a retractable roof. When i went to Kansas, Chicago, they had planes fly over that was very nice.

Parking needs to be in a big freaking area we need to tailgate. I hate doing on a street blocks away with the done not in sight. And the tailgaters are so spread out because there is no one major spot.

Traffic of walking down out if the dome is so bad. Stupid zig zags.

Needs better sound and acoustics to amp the sound of the fans.

Now if they fix all this and my tickets are a hundred dollars more for the season. I'm in. Planes, getting home in a reasonable time, tailgating, making this the hardest place to play football because of the sound.....well that is worth it to me

The Falcons do need a new stadium to be competitive in today's NFL from a revenue generating standpoint. PSL's, I don't think they are a good idea. I was listening to 92.9 and I have to agree, there is no way you could go PSL's for ever seat in a new stadium. Maybe a couple of seats, in the lower level, you know prime between the 30's and only in the lower level, and I say personally, only about half of the rows if that. I just don't think our market works that way. We all know that if the team does not win and display consistancy, fans will not show up.

We hear all the time now how the Cowboys are the first team worth over 2 Billion. What they fail to highlight is that 1.2 billion of that is the new stadium they just opened. However, the game today is the bottom line, not the details.

Also, I hear people say they don’t want their tax dollars going for a new stadium when the money could be spent on education or used to pay police and firemen or even to fix the sewer system. The Atlanta mayor was on 790 a couple of months ago and he mentioned that it is a “hotel/motel” tax that would be put in place to generate the money. I personally don’t know of many Atlanta residents that live in Fulton County and regularly rent motel/hotel rooms. Most of the vocal detractors I don’t really see it affecting. The mayor also pointed out that the Georgia Legislator would never approve a special motel/hotel tax to pay for education, police, firemen or sewer repair. I know you have to be weary of what politicians say, but it does not sound like a bad situation to me. Either way, I don’t live in Fulton so I don’t really get a say/vote when it comes up.

Couple of years ago I had a nice V8 VW Toureag SUV, leather, DVD the works. The maintenance was a nightmare on that car, it was a heavy, gas & oil guzzling vehicle with a lot of extra German tech that only drove the total cost of ownership up. I complained about the money I was dumping into it to my mechanic once and his words were, "you know what they say, you've got to pay to play". Same applies to this situation with the new stadium. If you want to nation to marval at Atlanta, to come here and take part in possible Super Bowls and such, you have to pay to play on the big stage.

very well written "isproab" good post and I +1 but respectfully disagree

I would love a new stadium and all the glitter just don't want PSL's or the average fan to get blown out and I am one of those people. I plunked down nearly $2000 for my seats and frankly it was all I can afford.

I am not trying to hold everyone down because I can't afford more, instead I am speaking for the 1000's of folks in my same boat who had to srcrimp and save to watch the Falcons live. I realize I am going to lose and a new stadium will be built because big money always wins--just wish ticket prices and food wouldn't go up----sigh

very well written "isproab" good post and I +1 but respectfully disagree

I would love a new stadium and all the glitter just don't want PSL's or the average fan to get blown out and I am one of those people. I plunked down nearly $2000 for my seats and frankly it was all I can afford.

I am not trying to hold everyone down because I can't afford more, instead I am speaking for the 1000's of folks in my same boat who had to srcrimp and save to watch the Falcons live. I realize I am going to lose and a new stadium will be built because big money always wins--just wish ticket prices and food wouldn't go up----sigh

Don't misunderstand. I think the tax is part of the "pay to play" notion. PSL's, not so much. Football tickets are way expensive compared to other sports. Never been a season ticket holder because of the price. I can't see spending 1000+ just for 1, let alone 2 tickets. I've always just picked out a game every 2 or 3 years that I would like to go to and my kid and I would go once I find good tickets on Stubhub. I think there are enough "Big spenders" that would be all in on the PSL's, but I don't think the majority of the fan base is that way. All the people I've ever sat next too seem like just regular working class people. Sure, they may be teachers, plant workers, corporate job types, but I never have sat next to what I would think are "big money" people. I always thought that was what the luxury boxes were for.

Edited by isproab

I thought mccay come out and said I'm the beginning that this stadium was not for business at all and football should never be.

I love the idea of a retractable roof. When i went to Kansas, Chicago, they had planes fly over that was very nice.

Parking needs to be in a big freaking area we need to tailgate. I hate doing on a street blocks away with the done not in sight. And the tailgaters are so spread out because there is no one major spot.

Traffic of walking down out if the dome is so bad. Stupid zig zags.

Needs better sound and acoustics to amp the sound of the fans.

Now if they fix all this and my tickets are a hundred dollars more for the season. I'm in. Planes, getting home in a reasonable time, tailgating, making this the hardest place to play football because of the sound.....well that is worth it to me

tailgating in Chicago isnt that great

There should be a stipulation in there to update some of the infrastructure and area surrounding.

The new stadium would probably take care of this issue automatically. I understand the City and A. Blanks's reasons, but I'd just as soon have a retractible roof added and save the money.