Would The Result Have Been Different If Someone Else Was The Gop Nominee?

young mr. grace

I ask this question because I felt from the start that Romney was the wrong candidate to be the GOP nominee. I never understood how nominating a billionaire who managed a job-elimination consulting group at Bain Capital was going to relate to, and ultimately win over, independent voters. And now we know he didn't win them over.

I know some of the other GOP candidates had image problems, but could another candidate, (say Santorum or Paul) won over the independent voters and defeated Obama?

Looking at the exit polls shows that the problem wasn´t the candidate but the party platform. Not saying that Romney was a great candidate but after the uglyness of the GOP primaries - where the candidates tried to top each other on ultra conservative issues - I really doubt that any candidate would change the mind of a young female first or second time voter. Romney actually tried to regain trust but the GOP seems to be so disconnected with many groups and minorities these days, that one single person can not change it.

Looking at the exit polls shows that the problem wasn´t the candidate but the party platform. Not saying that Romney was a great candidate but after the uglyness of the GOP primaries - where the candidates tried to top each other on ultra conservative issues - I really doubt that any candidate would change the mind of a young female first or second time voter. Romney actually tried to regain trust but the GOP seems to be so disconnected with many groups and minorities these days, that one single person can not change it.

Romney wasn't himself, and that was exactly the problem. They said on the news last night, and it made perfect sense, that once Perry came out and surged and turned a lot of the discourse towards a tough stance on immigration, Romney had to seem even tougher on immigration and that really hurt him with latin voters.

I ask this question because I felt from the start that Romney was the wrong candidate to be the GOP nominee. I never understood how nominating a billionaire who managed a job-elimination consulting group at Bain Capital was going to relate to, and ultimately win over, independent voters. And now we know he didn't win them over.

I know some of the other GOP candidates had image problems, but could another candidate, (say Santorum or Paul) won over the independent voters and defeated Obama?

I think the GOP race killed Romney's chances. Had he run on the same policies that got him elected in Massachusetts, we'd be calling him President elect Romney.

Nobody wants to hear this, but social issues lost Romney the election. In exit polling, Romney was rated as better for the economy than Obama. Had people voted based on the economy, thing would have been different.

Romney wasn't himself, and that was exactly the problem. They said on the news last night, and it made perfect sense, that once Perry came out and surged and turned a lot of the discourse towards a tough stance on immigration, Romney had to seem even tougher on immigration and that really hurt him with latin voters.

The primaries are the main problem of the US system anyway, at least that is my opinion from distance... it is the starting point for the extreme polarization we see since 2000 and topping each other has become a requirement to be in the position for being elected into any office... and then those elected officials have to work together in congress. The system just doesn´t make sense anymore.

The primaries are the main problem of the US system anyway, at least that is my opinion from distance... it is the starting point for the extreme polarization we see since 2000 and topping each other has become a requirement to be in the position for being elected into any office... and then those elected officials have to work together in congress. The system just doesn´t make sense anymore.

Not only that, but the legitimate candidates have to out-idiot the idiots, and shortly thereafter the idiots with skeletons in their closet who were so arrogant as to think it wouldn't come out get exposed and have to drop out of the race. And that doesn't happen until after the legitimate candidates have to out-idiot the idiot candidates.

Wouldn´t it be easier if the 200 something already elected congressmen of each party were put together in a hall and nominate, discuss and vote on their presidential candidate?

I ask because Americans are usually proud that they live in a republic as opposed to pure democracies. But the finding process for a presidential candidate seems to be everything but what you expect in a republic. The representatives elected in the primaries are just puppets, essentially it is a direct vote for the candidates and to be honest it has more in common with a mob rule than with an ideal republic. Under a republican idea, the thought of already elected congressmen voting for their presidential candidate makes alot more sense to me.

Just my 2 cents, might be a bit naive since I am an outsider...

I think two things changed this election for Romney, and it wasn't the "47%" video:

1. His harsh stance on immigration got him absolutely crushed in the hispanic vote, costing him Florida and Colorado and maybe another state or two.

2. Akin and Mourdock (counting them as one event) totally spooked the h*ll out of women coming up on the election, and prevented Romney from closing the gender gap.

Self inflicted wounds. The Republican party has to come around on these issues or they will never win another Presidentail campaign.