This Is Why We Don't Give Up Penalties

collingsworth has a good energy about him which is why he's looked at as a good color commentator by casual fans and passive viewers. however anyone that knows anything about football knows he has no brain

I disagree. There's a reason why he's the man on the #1 game of the week. Although I think it's a little absurd, he is considered by SI as the #1 commentator of all-time. That's right....ALL-TIME!

I disagree. There's a reason why he's the man on the #1 game of the week. Although I think it's a little absurd, he is considered by SI as the #1 commentator of all-time. That's right....ALL-TIME!

Are you sure you're not thinking of Al Michaels? He is old and sucks, but has been around forever, did MNF for a long time, and might be considered the GOAT. Surely not Collinsworth. That being said, I like Gruden and Mayock best of the current group.

I like Gruden and Mayock best of the current group.

Gruden has become my favorite football personality today. Now that I don't have to hate him because he's coaching a divisional rival, he's actually really awesome. The QB Camps he does for incoming rookies is AWESOME. Mayock, though...he knows his draft stuff, but he is not a good commentator at ALL. Any commentator that says "dude" on a weekly basis needs a lesson on professionalism.

It's funny how the commentators sounded more cheerful and interesting when we were down by 6 points, then all depressed whenever we took the lead. Them and the constant commercials really made this game a pain to watch. But that was a neat little bit of insight into how our coaching staff deals with penalties. I think I had read something about it on this board before but didn't exactly know what that was about. I'm glad to see us playing so disciplined this year because it felt like we got a lot of bad penalties last year that really screwed up our game.

Edited by Da Bird is Da Word

What are you talking about? Chris Collinsworth is a great color commentator.

He is a great commentator, but what most don't like is his constant gushing over marquee QB's. He'll also keep downing the Falcons whenever they're losing. He was subtlety pulling for Dallas to win the other night as well. At least it seemed that way. He is Costas like in his own way.

Edited by 4dabirds

Are you sure you're not thinking of Al Michaels? He is old and sucks, but has been around forever, did MNF for a long time, and might be considered the GOAT. Surely not Collinsworth. That being said, I like Gruden and Mayock best of the current group.

Mayock is the New Madden as player knowledge goes.

Now if Mayock would have a few Martini's prior to the game. laugh.png

I'm not trying to praise Collinsworth, but did anyone else here know that information about how Smitty handles penalties? I had never heard it and during the game I was thinking how good of information that was to hear. He also mention a few other things about the Falcons that made me comment that he pays a lot more attention to our team than I thought he did.

I think it's awesome that Smitty does that and the op is right. Smitty does so many little things that help this team and a lot of people who aren't big followers never see that. People are starting to see it and Smitty is getting a whole lot of praises these days.

I also heard Collinsworth saying a lot of good things about the team and several times he mentioned the refs made bad calls that hurt us.

Edited by JRid

Mayock is the New Madden as player knowledge goes.

Now if Mayock would have a few Martini's prior to the game. laugh.png

I freaking love Mayock.

Gruden also.

Collinsworth.. meh, not bad to listen to, unless its a falcons game vs a darling team. Then it is throw the TV out the window painful

I'm not trying to praise Collinsworth, but did anyone else here know that information about how Smitty handles penalties? I had never heard it and during the game I was thinking how good of information that was to hear. He also mention a few other things about the Falcons that made me comment that he pays a lot more attention to our team than I thought he did.

I think it's awesome that Smitty does that and the op is right. Smitty does so many little things that help this team and a lot of people who aren't big followers never see that. People are starting to see it and Smitty is getting a whole lot of praises these days.

I also heard Collinsworth saying a lot of good things about the team and several times he mentioned the refs made bad calls that hurt us.

I'm more impressed that in today's NFL you can shame players into not committing penalties. there's a lot of egos and bad attitudes to deal with

Something to consider if you think Colinsworth is a knowledgeable commentator. Colinsworth was voted worst commentator by the players.

http://sportsillustr.../content.1.html

http://sportsillustr...93021/index.htm

Agree and agree.

Who is your least favorite NFL commentator?

Cris Collinsworth, NBC 11%

Chris Berman, ESPN 8%

Warren Sapp, NFL Network 6%

Troy Aikman, Fox 5%

Ron Jaworski, ESPN 4%

FAST FACTS

Collinsworth is the most decorated studio analyst, having won 12 Sports Emmys since 1997.... Six ESPN employees were among the top 11 vote getters (including Jon Gruden, Matt Millen, Skip Bayless and Trent Dilfer), whereas CBS had no one in the top 12.... Aikman was No. 2 in an earlier SI poll of players' most-liked commentators.... In a similar poll on Facebook, SI readers voted Joe Buck (36%) their least favorite, with Collinsworth second (28%).

Based on 237 NFL players who responded to SI's survey