The Game We Should Lose

helmsman

I am friends with many Colts and Patriots fans, two Packers fans, and a roubust Bears fan by the name of nikolai. Anyway, I have been talking with these guys all season about how good our squad finally is and how we are undefeated ect ect. Well the fans of the Colts and Pats all said it was best to lose one game. They all said that the pressure of an undefeated team leads to distractions. I at first was not following the logic, but I think now I am sort of in agreement.

I mean, what are the chances we REALLY go 16-0? Not great and if we do go 16-0 how beat up will we be in the post season? whats the point of 16-0 if you lose in the playoffs?

So I have been thinking.. If we need a loss, just one, to keep an "even-keel" so to speak, who should it be? I think that we HAVE to win and hopefully dominate EVERY bigt market team (Eagles, Dallas, Giants, Packers, ect.) I want us to ALWAYs win these games so that the Falcons are known as true contenders and not flukes (see Arizona Cardnials 4-0, now 4-4). I would much rather us lose to a team out of contention or even a bad team so that one, the pressure of the unbeaten is off, and two, the loss is counted as a "fluke." Just a good team caught on a bad day.

Because lets be real. If we lose to a good team, were the same old falcons. If we lose to a crappy team but beat all the good teams, then we just had an off day.

What do you fans think of the win/loss count? Do you think it would be beneificial to have one loss? Why or why not? Who would you rather us lose to?

I wouldn't mind losing to the Saints next week. They are no shot at the playoffs and no shot at winning the division and they suck. I could swallow a loss to them much easier than I could have had we lost last night... God just imagine the headlines... Im so happy we beat the cowboys.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony already said: We're not thinking of going undefeated. We're just trying to win each game. There is a difference.

"Our goal isn't to go undefeated. Like, 'Hey, we're going to have an undefeated season.' Our goal is to win every game we're playing. And there's a difference. You take it one game at a time because it's the most important game of the season. If we keep that attitude, carry it into the playoffs, hopefully, it takes care of itself. The time is now. It better be now."

So the team certainly won't try to lose a game, since that would be stupid. Are you, just then, saying that we, as fans, should be "hoping" that they lose a game, b/c that too, would be stupid.

Edited by hjerry

Tony already said: We're not thinking of going undefeated. We're just trying to win each game. There is a difference.

So the team certainly won't try to lose a game, since that would be stupid. Are you, just then, saying that we, as fans, should be "hoping" that they lose a game, b/c that too, would be stupid.

The game we "should", not "want"

If our players wanted to lose a game I would be worried Mike Vick was mentoring our guys. If our players recognize that a super bowl ring is more important than an undefeated season, and plan accordingly, I have no problems with that.

I am friends with many Colts and Patriots fans, two Packers fans, and a roubust Bears fan by the name of nikolai. Anyway, I have been talking with these guys all season about how good our squad finally is and how we are undefeated ect ect. Well the fans of the Colts and Pats all said it was best to lose one game. They all said that the pressure of an undefeated team leads to distractions. I at first was not following the logic, but I think now I am sort of in agreement.

I mean, what are the chances we REALLY go 16-0? Not great and if we do go 16-0 how beat up will we be in the post season? whats the point of 16-0 if you lose in the playoffs?

So I have been thinking.. If we need a loss, just one, to keep an "even-keel" so to speak, who should it be? I think that we HAVE to win and hopefully dominate EVERY bigt market team (Eagles, Dallas, Giants, Packers, ect.) I want us to ALWAYs win these games so that the Falcons are known as true contenders and not flukes (see Arizona Cardnials 4-0, now 4-4). I would much rather us lose to a team out of contention or even a bad team so that one, the pressure of the unbeaten is off, and two, the loss is counted as a "fluke." Just a good team caught on a bad day.

Because lets be real. If we lose to a good team, were the same old falcons. If we lose to a crappy team but beat all the good teams, then we just had an off day.

What do you fans think of the win/loss count? Do you think it would be beneificial to have one loss? Why or why not? Who would you rather us lose to?

I wouldn't mind losing to the Saints next week. They are no shot at the playoffs and no shot at winning the division and they suck. I could swallow a loss to them much easier than I could have had we lost last night... God just imagine the headlines... Im so happy we beat the cowboys.

Blade_WTF.gif

Um.....**** NO! You really want the FIRST loss of the season to our most hated rival???

Blade_WTF.gif

Um.....**** NO! You really want the FIRST loss of the season to our most hated rival???

Since when did the Saints replace Carolina as our most hated rival? I like Drew Brees, but Newton? I love wiping that smirk off his face on Sundays more than I like seeing Brees bossin it at 6 foot nothin.

Since ever.

Your wrong. Lets have a history lesson------------------- Remember Jake Delhomme? remember that crappy saints QB like a 3rd cousin of mike vick or something(Aaron brooks?)? The Panthers were a FORCE in the NFC south for YEARS causing us headaches and hardship. The Saints could hardly win a game. While we have always been rivals with the bucs and saints I always thought our rivarly with Carolina was the most testy.

Your wrong. Lets have a history lesson------------------- Remember Jake Delhomme? remember that crappy saints QB like a 3rd cousin of mike vick or something(Aaron brooks?)? The Panthers were a FORCE in the NFC south for YEARS causing us headaches and hardship. The Saints could hardly win a game. While we have always been rivals with the bucs and saints I always thought our rivarly with Carolina was the most testy.

Uh, no. You're just embarrassing yourself at this point.

Saints have been the most hated for awhile bub

Since brees came. Thats your while. What about before Brees came? What about since Newton came? How can you like the panties over the aints? Atleast the aints have a decent logo. Panties, kittens, pu$$ies, those are the most hated rivals. then Saints, then Bucs, then Eagles.

I understand where you're coming from with this supposition. I think you're right in that it's possible the team will feel at least some pressure of being undefeated at some point, if they haven't already. They are human, after all. The way they started the game last night it looked like they were ready to be rid of all the "undefeated" hype. But I think their approach is correct. You take one game at a time and try to win that one without worrying about anything else. No matter what their regular season record ends up being, everybody at FB knows that the only relevance to the regular season won-loss record is does it get you into the play-offs with the most favorable seeding possible. Even if the Falcons were to finish the regular season 16-0, I think last year's beat-down to the Giants is still fresh enough in everyone's memory to eliminate any possibility they will lack focus or have a let-down going into that game just because they went through the regular season undefeated.

Uh, no. You're just embarrassing yourself at this point.

Lol, whatever my man. Im not embaressed by anything except the media biased towards our undefeated squad. Now if you want to go back and forth on rivalries fine, but either way I hate them all so Im not sure what the point is. I really hate Carolina personally. Their baby blue stadium and their QB who always seems to be in the middle of a KODAK commerical..

The game we "should", not "want"

If our players wanted to lose a game I would be worried Mike Vick was mentoring our guys. If our players recognize that a super bowl ring is more important than an undefeated season, and plan accordingly, I have no problems with that.

So basically, you're suggesting that our team is so good, and so much better than our opponents, that we are able to "plan" a loss to keep our guys fresh? First, we aren't good enough for that. Any team could beat us if we let our guard down, and it would be silly to inentionally give up a win, under the assumption that we'll win our later games. We are taking every game, one at a time. Second, I doubt, no I know, that our players, and probably our coaches too, would never stand for it. They want to win any and every game, and especially against the Saints.