Yesterday's Turning Point:

HolyMoses

1:11 left in 2nd Quarter, Fourth and One for Dallas at their 49 Yard line. 6-3 Cowboys:

First, huge stop by the Falcons on third and one.

Then the Cowboys lined up to go for it and they did the little funky shift that announces to the defenses that they are probably going to try to draw them off sides. OR fake that way then run a play at the last moment.

But when Tony Romo stood up from center and signaled "Time Out" . . . I said to my game companion "P@#%@'s, That is going to bite them in the A#*!" (I probably should not use that kind of language when I talk to my 12 year old son.)

With two time outs and more than a minute left, there was little doubt that Ryan would put points on the board before the end of the half. He has led the team to more last minute scores than any other quarterback in the NFL since he entered the league. Sure, making them go the whole field made it unlikely the Falcons would score a touchdown, but why on earth voluntarily give Ryan the ball in that situation?

As Greg Easterbrook likes to say, it sent a message to the Cowboy's offense that they were not to be trusted to gain a yard when they needed to. And it sent a message to their defense that they could not be trusted to stop the Falcons from scoring from Midfield with a minute left in the half.

Who knows what would have happened if the Cowboys had gone for it? Maybe they make it and score a TD? Maybe a field goal? Maybe they just keep it out of the hands of the most dangerous two minute quarterback in the NFL and go to half time with a 6-3 lead. Or maybe they turn the ball over on downs and the Falcons score a touchdown and take the lead at halftime. But the Cowboys were in a must win situation last night and they played to avoid losing rather than to try to win.

Eventually, the league will learn that Matt Ryan is the kind of quarterback that you must take risks to keep the ball from. I bet that we start seeing more and more teams going for it on fourth downs against us . . . . and that will be unfortunate.

But thanks to the Cowboys for being slow learners. You would think a Princeton grad would know better.

Miles Austin drop pass over middle . He catches that and makes Decoud miss . Different game

well. . . to be fair. . . . living off of what ifs and would have beens is like living in an imaginary world . . . . . brett favre decides to become the favre for the falcons that he was for the packers and FO keeps Deion. . . .different falcons team throughout the 90s.

get my drift

1:11 left in 2nd Quarter, Fourth and One for Dallas at their 49 Yard line. 6-3 Cowboys:

First, huge stop by the Falcons on third and one.

Then the Cowboys lined up to go for it and they did the little funky shift that announces to the defenses that they are probably going to try to draw them off sides. OR fake that way then run a play at the last moment.

But when Tony Romo stood up from center and signaled "Time Out" . . . I said to my game companion "P@#%@'s, That is going to bite them in the A#*!" (I probably should not use that kind of language when I talk to my 12 year old son.)

With two time outs and more than a minute left, there was little doubt that Ryan would put points on the board before the end of the half. He has led the team to more last minute scores than any other quarterback in the NFL since he entered the league. Sure, making them go the whole field made it unlikely the Falcons would score a touchdown, but why on earth voluntarily give Ryan the ball in that situation?

As Greg Easterbrook likes to say, it sent a message to the Cowboy's offense that they were not to be trusted to gain a yard when they needed to. And it sent a message to their defense that they could not be trusted to stop the Falcons from scoring from Midfield with a minute left in the half.

Who knows what would have happened if the Cowboys had gone for it? Maybe they make it and score a TD? Maybe a field goal? Maybe they just keep it out of the hands of the most dangerous two minute quarterback in the NFL and go to half time with a 6-3 lead. Or maybe they turn the ball over on downs and the Falcons score a touchdown and take the lead at halftime. But the Cowboys were in a must win situation last night and they played to avoid losing rather than to try to win.

Eventually, the league will learn that Matt Ryan is the kind of quarterback that you must take risks to keep the ball from. I bet that we start seeing more and more teams going for it on fourth downs against us . . . . and that will be unfortunate.

But thanks to the Cowboys for being slow learners. You would think a Princeton grad would know better.

I agree, i was feeling much more comfy at that point, and then when we stopped them after halftime i started to think for sure we would win......

I was extremely puzzled and disappointed when on the Dallas 37 yard line, 5 minutes remaining in the 1st half, down 6-3 and Mike Smith punted on a 4th and 3. This odds are probably 75% or higher Matt Ryan connect for 3 yards or more to one his great receivers.

Of course it worked out but if ever a circumstance dictated a "gamble" this was it.

I was extremely puzzled and disappointed when on the Dallas 37 yard line, 5 minutes remaining in the 1st half, down 6-3 and Mike Smith punted on a 4th and 3. This odds are probably 75% or higher Matt Ryan connect for 3 yards or more to one his great receivers.

Of course it worked out but if ever a circumstance dictated a "gamble" this was it.

Agreed, I did not like it either, but I guess with Smiths luck on 4th down he wanted to keep his money in his pocket this time.....

I was also pretty upset that we didn't go for it there, but it all worked out okay in the end.

That's a good point. I don't have any empirical data to support this, but it seems like Smith has been a little gun shy on his fourth down aggressiveness since the Saints and Giants games last season?

That decision is not about Ryan it is about which unit you think gives you a better chance at winning. Oddly enough, it was a cowboys game that finally taught Smitty that lesson. The Cowboys have a better defense than offense.

In the Pitt/NYG game it was an easy call. Sure Eli is clutch but the Steelers D was standing strong.