2013 Dream Draft - Version 2

hjerry

Being that we’re at the season’s halfway point, I’ve decided to go ahead and start adding a few FAs to spice things up a bit. I’m only adding a few for now, though. Once again, I am basing this off the stock for these prospects now. Their stock will change dramatically during the season, but I’m basing this off what the majority of analysts seem to rate them as right now.

Free Agents:

Re-signed: Michael Palmer, Vance Walker, Brent Grimes, William Moore, Will Svitek, Antone Smith, Garrett Reynolds(cond.), Sam Baker(cond.), Robert McClain, Drew Davis

The key resignings here are Grimes, Moore, and Svitek IMO. The other guys are depth that could be kept more having to do with who we plan to take in the draft and their 2012 performances, but, right now, they aren’t irreplaceable. Reynolds and Baker both get conditionals b/c I’m kinda 50/50 on them right now. For Reynolds, it really depends on his 2012 performance b/c he might not get resigned, depending on price, if he’s only serviceable, and they think Konz can start. If so, they might just let him walk. Baker’s kinda the same way. It mostly depends on how Holmes comes along. If they don’t feel that Holmes is ready then we could see Baker get a cheap 1yr deal if he continues to play like he has so far this season, since I still worry about him staying healthy for two straight seasons. Grimes, meanwhile, is the wild card as he will be going on 30, was undersized to begin with, and is coming off two, back to back, significant injuries. It will be interesting to see how TD handles that whole situation.

FA Additions:

Geoff Schwartz (G) – VikingsSchwartz was actually drafted by Carolina. He plays primarily RG and is a mammoth road grader at his position. He was out all of 2011 with a hip injury and Carolina opted not to resign him, allowing the Vikings to sign him to a one year deal. Right now, he serves as depth on their squad only, but, from what I have seen, he would certainly be able to start, and would be an instant stimulant to our run game, assuming he gets away from Minnesota.

Jared Cook (TE) – TitansCook wants out of Tennessee. Meanwhile, we, most likely, will be in need of a starting pass catching TE with Gonzo retired. To top things off, he is also a GA native, which just makes this more perfect. Cook could, honestly, probably have even better numbers than he does if he had some consistency at QB. Meanwhile, the biggest complaint about him is his run blocking, and while, truthfully, his run blocking is poor, so is Gonzo’s, and I feel confident that he could improve in that regard if need be.

2013 Dream Draft

1st: Trade:

Jonathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia

Height: 6-3 Weight: 351

Projected 40 Time: 5.55

For the time being, I don’t intend to change this pick. Our run defense, for now, is the weakest component of our defense and needs to be addressed. While Nolan has shown the ability to dial up pressure without premier DEs, the same cannot be said of our run D. Some may point toward our LB core, but, usually, our DTs get a shot at the RB sooner than our LBs. Also, as I have stated before, it’s clear that Nolan wanted a big NT last year, but opted not to go that route, so there is every reason to believe that this year he will. Finally, this pick also serves two other purposes, scheme and security: Nolan will be able to scheme more creatively with a true NT, and we will have security when Jerry, Babs, and Peters’ contracts all come up after 2013. I also heavily looked at Notre Dame’s Louis Nix for this spot, but it is still very unclear as to whether or not he will even declare.

2nd: TradeTrade 2nd round pick for early 3rd round pick and early 5th round pick

3rd: From 1st trade

Stephan Taylor, RB, Stanford

Height: 5-11 Weight: 208

Projected 40 Time: 4.58

Much like last time, I’m really struggling with the RB pick. Again though, it’s not the actual drafting on a RB at this spot that I struggle with, since I don’t see Turner being here in 2013, but rather which RB to take. I do have to agree with many who argue that speed is what our suits our offense best, in which case, Andre Ellington would fit best here. However, I’m more inclined to draft the more balanced prospect, and right now, that’s Taylor. Giovanni Bernard is also in that archetype, but since he may or may not declare, I’m hesitant to mock him here. Either way, I foresee a RBBC approach in 2013 since we’re so into the pass now, maybe with a “hot hand” to decide who gets the most carries.

3rd: TradeTrade original 3rdroundpick and 5th round picks for mid 3rd round pick

3rd: From 2nd trade

John Simon, DE, Ohio State

Height: 6-2 Weight: 263

Projected 40 Time: 4.80

It’s not like I’m completely lost on the need for more pass rushers, and with the mass of them in this draft, it would not be at all surprising to see a few fall later in the draft. I struggled a bit with this pick as well. I’m definitely sold on taking a DE here, but not on which one. The other that I seriously considered for this spot was SMU’s Margus Hunt. Both of these guys have tremendous upside, but for different reasons. Simon is probably the better pure passer and run defender at this stage in his career, but, having said that, Hunt (6-8 280) easily has the most potential. The problem is that Hunt has really failed, thus far, to make strides toward that potential. He appears slow at times and doesn’t have the arsenal of moves that Simon does. What he does have, however, is 12+ career blocked kicks, which could make him a force on special teams if nothing else.

4th:

Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

Height: 6-6 Weight: 270

Projected 40 Time: 4.77

I present to you the premier blocking TE. They don’t make’em like this anymore. Williams isn’t going to catch a lot of passes, but there are very few TEs out there, that will be able to block like he can. If Schwartz and Taylor don’t stimulate the running game, Williams definitely will. He would be an instant upgrade over Gallarda, and together with Cook and Palmer could actually make our TE core into a strength for this team. Cook would be freed up to catch more passes and Palmer could be in for more of an expanded role, since he would no longer be our best blocking TE.

4th: Compensatory pick for Lofton

D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina

Height: 6-0 Weight: 210

Projected 40 Time: 4.70

This revolving door of backup safeties has to stop. He need depth here in a bad way. I consider Swearinger to be a consolation prize. Personally, I’d still much rather have Rambo, but he has picked up his play of late, and the only way he falls is if teams hold his suspensions against him hard. Swearinger is fully capable of being a solid contributer at both S positions.

5th: From 1st trade

Jonathan Bostic, ILB, Florida

Height: 6-1 Weight: 243

Projected 40 Time: 4.63

Nolan gets some depth to compete with Dent. Dent is coming along slowly, to say it nicely, but he is coming along. Luckily for us, Nolan doesn’t need three LBs on the field for most plays, but I’d still feel more comfortable with a younger guy competing with Dent for the job. Bostic isn’t a great player but he is a fairly smart player. He also has the speed to get to the QB or RB. He’s shown the ability to use his sense for the ball to make up for what he lacks in athleticism.

5th: Traded to draft John Simon

6th:

Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook

Height: 5-9 Weight: 205

Projected 40 Time: 4.57

Someone mentioned in another thread that they considered it a good idea to double dip in areas of weakness, where the pick was uncertain. I can agree with this to an extent. Cutting Turner and replacing him with a rookie 3rd round pick is risky, even if we are going RBBC. I still see it as the correct move, but there are a number of inherent risks involved, which brings me to Maysonet. Playing in the Big South Conference, he isn’t exactly up against elite defenses, but he has still done enough to get noticed by the NFL scouts. Maysonet is a power runner to he could be a good compliment to Taylor and Quizz. He is still very raw though, and so might need some time before he makes a huge impact in the NFL. Having said that, this is the 6th round, where you usually find rotational players at best.

7th:

Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky

Height: 6-5 Weight: 248

Projected 40 Time: 4.74

To be completely honest, I hate mocking players in the 7th round. The later into the rounds that you go, the more the pick is defined by who is still available. The only thing I can do is just add a few guys that might have an impact but are in positions of need. I'll start by saying that, if you saw this draft already, I had someone else in here. Though, I wasn't really happy with that pick to begin with, so when I heard about this guy, I felt that I had to change it. He doesn't have the greatest athleticsm and is a little raw, but is also a smart player that is patient in his pursuit. He has great vision. Smith isn't elite, to be sure, but he has potential, and him being a die hard Falcons fan, pretty much compels me to include him.

7th: Compensatory pick for Weems

Denard Robinson, QB, Michigan

Height: 6-1 Weight: 193

Projected 40 Time: 4.55

I just threw this in here on whim to be honest. He’s an interesting prospect to be sure, but you’d have to use him correctly. I’ll be honest. I put this here, just b/c I thought it would be amusing to here the responses.

UDFA:

Sanders Commings, CB, UGA

Height: 6-1 Weight: 216

Projected 40 Time: 4.54

Commings is currently projected by most to go undrafted, which is a shame. He doesn't have elite speed to be sure, but he shows an instinct for the ball, which helps to make up for his seeming lack of atleticism. To be honest, I'm not sure how well he would do in the NFL. He may have to move to safety.

Remember that this is my DREAM draft. I know that a lot of this is unlikely, but for now, any of this is still possible. I’m still using mostly NFLDRAFTSCOUT and Walterfootball for my stock rankings since they usually are pretty close come draft day, but I also supplement with a number of other sites combined with my own, albeit a lot of times flawed, analysis.

Edited by hjerry

Spencer Adkins is not on the roster anymore.

I like the possibility of replacing Tony with a FA once he retires, but I don't know if Jared Cook really fits what we do. I don't think Cook is that great of a blocker. If we were able to get Heath Miller I think that would be a nice addition.

6th:

Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook

Height: 5-9 Weight: 205

Projected 40 Time: 4.57

Someone mentioned in another thread that they considered it a good idea to double dip in areas of weakness, where the pick was uncertain. I can agree with this to an extent. Cutting Turner and replacing him with a rookie 3rd round pick is risky, even if we are going RBBC. I still see it as the correct move, but there are a number of inherent risks involved, which brings me to Maysonet. Playing in the Big South Conference, he isn’t exactly up against elite defenses, but he has still done enough to get noticed by the NFL scouts. Maysonet is a power runner to he could be a good compliment to Taylor and Quizz. He is still very raw though, and so might need some time before he makes a huge impact in the NFL. Having said that, this is the 6th round, where you usually find rotational players at best.

I met this kid and he is a good kid and came from a very poor family. I would love him in atlanta.

I would rather Take Dion Sims rather than Michael Williams. Sims is bigger and he is a better receiving threat.

I decided to change it up a bit this time to reflect our current weaknesses. Cook was added to be the receiving threat, while Williams is essentially a pure blocker. IMO Williams is the best blocking TE in this draft and shows potential as a pass catcher. Right now Palmer is the best blocking TE on our team, and having someone better could significantly improve our run game. Sims is good too but not as good of a blocker imo, which is what I was looking for there. Plus, I doubt that he would be there in the 4th.