First Sec Head Coaching Job Opens Up

scottp12

laugh.png Not intended. I actually think they would be better suited to bring in someone with a unique perspective to the SEC or at least a unique offensive philosophy. They have to have somebody who can take lesser talent and compete.

I always thought if you were one of the historically bad teams in your conference bringing in someone who runs a unique offense would be a great idea. It allows you to recruit good players that other schools may pass on because they don't fit a traditional system.

I always thought if you were one of the historically bad teams in your conference bringing in someone who runs a unique offense would be a great idea. It allows you to recruit good players that other schools may pass on because they don't fit a traditional system.

I wholeheartedly agree with that philosophy. Kentucky can't out-recruit Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, et al. in football. If they play it straight up, as Joker tried to do, they will get mashed. I think those schools have to have something that creates an advantage. A good example is what Mike Leach, a former Kentucky assistant, did at Texas Tech.

If I was an AD at a big time program Charlie Strong would be at the very top of my list, but you wouldn't have to look down very far to see Taggart's name on there.

A thread about a month or so ago questioned who you wanted as coach with one week to prepare to win a game. I went with these five:

Nick Saban

Chris Petersen

Frank Solich

Bill Snyder

Willie Taggart

That was a tough loss for Boise last night, but I expect they'll be back up to their usual standard next season. Frank Solich was in a tough spot following a legend at Nebraska, but now he's too old to ever get another shot at the big time. Speaking of which, it's amazing what Bill Snyder has done since taking back over at K State. And, Christ, Ron Prince was awful.

I wholeheartedly agree with that philosophy. Kentucky can't out-recruit Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, et al. in football. If they play it straight up, as Joker tried to do, they will get mashed. I think those schools have to have something that creates an advantage. A good example is what Mike Leach, a former Kentucky assistant, did at Texas Tech.

Or what Sumlin has done with A&M. He ran an up tempo offense at Houston and so far it has transitioned well to the SEC. Even with a freshmen QB.