Sources: Sean Payton Contract Voided

Dirtybirdn@tion

Within the past year, the multiyear contract extension the Saints announced for Sean Payton in September 2011 was voided by the NFL, making the suspended head coach a free agent after this season and casting questions on how long he will remain in New Orleans, according to league sources.

Payton is expected to become the NFL's most sought-after head coach after this season and there already is speculation in league circles that he could wind up returning to Dallas, where he worked as the assistant head coach from 2003 to 2005, during which time the Cowboys brought in quarterback Tony Romo, who attended the same college, Eastern Illinois, as Payton.

At issue in the contract was one specific clause that would have enabled Payton to walk away from the deal if general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended, fired or left the New Orleans organization, sources said.As recently as March, when Payton was visiting NFL offices to appeal his yearlong suspension in the bounty scandal, he asked NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for the status of his contract extension and was told it was unsatisfactory as it initially was constituted, sources said.

The league believed that any such language in Payton's contract would set a bad precedent for other coaching contracts and rejected the deal well before Loomis was suspended for the first eight games this season for his part in the bounty scandal.

Dating back to roughly the start of this year, the two sides engaged in numerous subsequent conversations to try to resolve the issue but never did.

In the interim, the league has granted Payton permission to work for Saints owner Tom Benson's NBA New Orleans team, and the suspended head coach has been doing some spot work there to earn income.

Some in the league office believe Payton's contract could toll -- meaning the last year would be put on hold, tying him to New Orleans for the 2013 season -- but there is no evidence to confirm that possibility. Until now, the league has not been asked to review or rule on the contract, according to sources, though some believe it eventually could.

To others, there is no issue. Payton will be a free agent. Some believe Payton's strong relationship with Benson will be enough to keep him in New Orleans long term.

But others are more skeptical, knowing that the suspended head coach has undergone some personal changes in his life that have included going through a divorce and spending plenty of time in Dallas.

When Benson initially announced last year the extension for Payton that never got league approval, he said: "I am very pleased to announce this contract extension today for Sean that will run through the 2015 season. Our goal is to continue to build a tradition of winning here in New Orleans and Sean represents that tradition."

Edited by Dirtybirdn@tion

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope your right bro.

All this does is create a story for media speculation nothing more nothing less. Don't get me wrong money is the ultimate motivator, but Benson will pay him what he wants, let him have free reign like he's been having, and he has a franchise QB locked up under contract who he has a great working relationship with and has won a title with.

All this does is create a story for media speculation nothing more nothing less. Don't get me wrong money is the ultimate motivator, but Benson will pay him what he wants, let him have free reign like he's been having, and he has a franchise QB locked up under contract who he has a great working relationship with and has won a title with.

I agree, I couldn't imagine working for JJ. Your right about the media. This story has two of it's favorite teams to talk about wrapped up in one story. I hope Sean stays with the Saints to at least confirm that $$$ can't buy everything in the NFL.

I agree, I couldn't imagine working for JJ. Your right about the media. This story has two of it's favorite teams to talk about wrapped up in one story. I hope Sean stays with the Saints to at least confirm that $$$ can't buy everything in the NFL.

If Payton were to go coach for the Cowboys, he would need some level of control that I don't think JJ would be willing to part with. As a lot of Falcons fans are quick to point out to all of us, Payton is an ego maniac, he would definately clash with JJ especially if they didn't have instant success. However, there is no doubt that Jerry will back the brinks truck up at his door.

If Payton were to go coach for the Cowboys, he would need some level of control that I don't think JJ would be willing to part with. As a lot of Falcons fans are quick to point out to all of us, Payton is an ego maniac, he would definately clash with JJ especially if they didn't have instant success. However, there is no doubt that Jerry will back the brinks truck up at his door.

What they don't point out is that they'd take ten of those egos for a season like Sean had in 09'. All the greats have their quirks. Yes, Sean falls in with the greats in my book. Thats why Jerry will be driving the truck himself! lol

What they don't point out is that they'd take ten of those egos for a season like Sean had in 09'. All the greats have their quirks. Yes, Sean falls in with the greats in my book. Thats why Jerry will be driving the truck himself! lol

I agree, Jerry will come calling and he will be screming loudly lol! I honestly believe though that Brees is the X factor, and already having a QB like him in place makes his job a lot easier while still being able call all the shots, and make a fortune on top of that.

I don't think Payton leaves, I think this is going to have an impact on the Saints economic wise as Payton just lost a vast amount of income this year and is going through a divorce. He'll probably want a lot of money up front to get him through this.

I also don't believe Jerry is going to be with the Cowboys much longer, there's whispers that some of the other owners are trying to get him to step down or relinquish control of football operations

I agree, Jerry will come calling and he will be screming loudly lol! I honestly believe though that Brees is the X factor, and already having a QB like him in place makes his job a lot easier while still being able call all the shots, and make a fortune on top of that.

I agree, even with the Saints D he's got a better shot at winning in N.O. imo. I don't see Sean going to Dallas, but that doesn't really mean anything. JJ can be a crafty S.O.B.

that being said the window has basically shut on the Saints. They're in a lot of trouble cap wise and a lot of their weapons will be 30+ next year on offense. (Colston, Moore, and Sproles all turn 30 next year and Henderson will be 31) by the time they get the defense completely rebuilt (Probably in 2015) A lot of their offensive play makers will be old.

It also doesn't help that the rest of the league has closed the gap between the Saints Offense and them, not to mention teams are starting to build defensive juggernauts.

that being said the window has basically shut on the Saints. They're in a lot of trouble cap wise and a lot of their weapons will be 30+ next year on offense. (Colston, Moore, and Sproles all turn 30 next year and Henderson will be 31) by the time they get the defense completely rebuilt (Probably in 2015) A lot of their offensive play makers will be old.

It also doesn't help that the rest of the league has closed the gap between the Saints Offense and them, not to mention teams are starting to build defensive juggernauts.

Saints have been in "Cap trouble" for the last three seasons, and they've managed fine, also I wouldn't be too quick to assume that their window is closing or closed. Just because those players you mentioned are getting older doesn't mean that A. they won't still be effective and B. they can't groom younger talent which they've proven they can do. However, I do agree that the competition has become stronger, but that's the how the evolution of football has always been, and the Saints will have to just adapt to that like everyone else.

Edited by meezy0236

Saints have been in "Cap trouble" for the last three seasons, and they've managed fine, also I wouldn't be too quick to assume that their window is closing or closed. Just because those players you mentioned are getting older doesn't mean that A. they won't still be effective and B. they can't groom younger talent which they've proven they can do. However, I do agree that the competition has become stronger, but that's the how the evolution of football has always been, and the Saints will have to just adapt to that like everyone else.

You guys are starting out 15 Mil over the cap this year.

When players get older they get less durable. Henderson is having a bunch of injury issues this year and Colston and Moore have a long list of injuries. Sure they can groom young talent but they don't have a lot of it right now

You guys are starting out 15 Mil over the cap this year.

When players get older they get less durable. Henderson is having a bunch of injury issues this year and Colston and Moore have a long list of injuries. Sure they can groom young talent but they don't have a lot of it right now

As long as Payton is the coach and Brees is the QB, the offense will stay dynamic. Now, the defense, if they're going to keep Spags they'll have to get plaerys that fit his scheme. They have some young players they can build around i.e Hicks, Jordan, Gallete, Wilson, Lofton, and Hawthorn, while discarding older players like Smith, Vilma, and Ellis. I'm not saying these younger guys are the second coming of the giants line, I'm just saying they are young pieces you can start grooming to have A decent defense to compliment a dynamic offense.

Edited by meezy0236

Was looking over at the report

http://saintsreport....chefter-269254/

I knew saints fans would be all over this and its 14 pages deep. So i started from the last to see what was going on.

It appears no contract was voided. The NFL didn't approve the extension. This year would be his last under current deal. Making him a FA.

The question is why now? Who leaked this info? was it the saints or the NFL or Payton himself? All the 3 knew this was going on and it didn't get leaked until now. Timing seems odd.

The other question is: why did the ext take so long to rule on? Why didnt the Saints rework it if they thought it wasn't gonna go through?

Edited by danight

I don't know what to make of this. On one hand Peyton could show his loyalty to Benson and sign a deal similar to the one that was just voided. On the other hand, he needs money and lots of it, if he starts a bidding war between Benson and Jones, it could get ugly.

If he indeed has coached his last game in New Orleans, I would imagine we'll see many angry Saints fans around here.

I don't know what to make of this. On one hand Peyton could show his loyalty to Benson and sign a deal similar to the one that was just voided. On the other hand, he needs money and lots of it, if he starts a bidding war between Benson and Jones, it could get ugly.

If he indeed has coached his last game in New Orleans, I would imagine we'll see many angry Saints fans around here.

Not just around here but i would think the majority of Saints fans want him back and would be highly disappointed if he left. That would be the kicking a man while their down type of thing.

I doubt Payton would even speak on whats going on since he is helping out Benson`s other team for extra cash. So we probably wont get any answers on this anytime soon.

Was looking over at the report

http://saintsreport....chefter-269254/

I knew saints fans would be all over this and its 14 pages deep. So i started from the last to see what was going on.

It appears no contract was voided. The NFL didn't approve the extension. This year would be his last under current deal. Making him a FA.

The question is why now? Who leaked this info? was it the saints or the NFL or Payton himself? All the 3 knew this was going on and it didn't get leaked until now. Timing seems odd.

The other question is: why did the ext take so long to rule on? Why didnt the Saints rework it if they thought it wasn't gonna go through?

It was ruled on before Bountygate went public apparently.

NFL says it has made no determination on Sean Payton’s contract status for 2013

Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2012, 10:52 AM EST

350x-44.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

In response to a report from Adam Schefter that Saints coach Sean Payton will be a free agent in 2013, the NFL says, in essence, “Not so fast, my friend.”

The league’s official statement, via Albert Breer of NFL Network, takes no position on Payton’s status beyond 2012.

“Our office has made no determination on Sean Payton’s contract status with the Saints for next year,” the league told Breer. “All contracts between clubs and their employees must be approved by the Commissioner, and we do not comment on specific terms of individual contracts.”

Schefter reported that, at some point within the past year, the league office rejected the extension signed by Payton in September 2011. That makes 2012 the last year of his contract.

But with Payton suspended for all of 2012, the Saints could take the position that his contract is tolled. Since the final decision on any contract-related disputes comes from Commissioner Roger Goodell, and given that Goodell likely wouldn’t reach a decision that will be deemed to benefit Payton, Goodell would surely be inclined to keep Payton in place.

Making Payton a free agent in 2013 would surely benefit Payton, either by giving him more leverage in contract talks with the Saints or allowing him to walk away from New Orleans.

Unless, of course, there’s collusion among his potential suitors to not pursue him.

With all the heat Goodell has taken over suspending Payton, does anyone really think Goodell would let Payton walk away under circumstances that would make Saints fans even more angry at Goodell and the league office?

Regardless of the contractual niceties and things folks close to the situation believe or don’t believe, it would be a major surprise to see the league office let Payton leave — unless the Saints make it clear that they either don’t want him back or that they support his desire to leave if he thinks it’s time for a change.

Or, as mentioned above, unless there’s collusion among his potential suitors.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/04/nfl-says-it-has-made-no-determination-on-sean-paytons-contract-status-for-2013/