Atlanta Falcons Are Great For Atlanta

LVfalconfan

I love seeing people come together over football. With the stereotypes of racism in the south and the whole Mike Vick thing I wondered if we were really that far behind. I moved away from Atlanta a while ago and had the chance to make it to a game. What a fun time. I saw as many black people in Ryan Jerseys than Shiite people and heard no criticism of Matt Ryan even when he played a bad game. The black woman behind me was upset with the line screaming you've gotta give my boy some time to throw. The media really blew the Vick thing out of proportion. Remember dukes saying Ryan would never be approved of in Atlanta. People that live in Atlanta may think this is silly, I've been gone for a while and have heard stereotypes about both races, one being that Matt Ryan will never win over the fans because there is a lot of black folks and that it was racist whites that didn't like Vick. Our canvass is awesome and I hope I can come back for a game soon. Go falcons.

I remember the day Ryan was drafted. Probably 75% of the posters on this board were howling, calling him 'dork' and 'geek boy' and 'doofus'. They said he was stupid because he'd thrown a lot of int's his final year at BC. They said he had a noodle arm.

They don't say much these days.

There were lot of white folks who were upset with Matt Ryan pick and lot of Blacks who wanted Ryan. I agree with you though on how Media made it Vick vs Ryan and the race thing from the moment Ryan came to town. I was initially pissed off at folks who would come with Vick Jersey to the dome, but most of them go to a game once in a while and don't have money to buy another Jersey in this economy.

At the end of the day, it is just a game for pure entertainment only. After all the festivities, the ugly realities of life continue. . . . . Racism, prejudice, and other ignorance are still very much alive in the South. . . . .

Why anyone thought black people would have a problem with Matt Ryan because he is white befuddles me. Were there black people who did not see past "skin deep". . of course. Was it an issue that was as magnified as it was? I doubt it. Certainly there were white people who shunned Vick because he was black, but I doubt there were enough white people who shunned him for it to make a difference. . . . .

I blame the MEDIA for sensationalizing issues and characteristically blowing things out of proportion and for people/fans biting the bait. . . .

Edited by joenate

I love seeing people come together over football. With the stereotypes of racism in the south and the whole Mike Vick thing I wondered if we were really that far behind. I moved away from Atlanta a while ago and had the chance to make it to a game. What a fun time. I saw as many black people in Ryan Jerseys than Shiite people and heard no criticism of Matt Ryan even when he played a bad game. The black woman behind me was upset with the line screaming you've gotta give my boy some time to throw. The media really blew the Vick thing out of proportion. Remember dukes saying Ryan would never be approved of in Atlanta. People that live in Atlanta may think this is silly, I've been gone for a while and have heard stereotypes about both races, one being that Matt Ryan will never win over the fans because there is a lot of black folks and that it was racist whites that didn't like Vick. Our canvass is awesome and I hope I can come back for a game soon. Go falcons.

I think you had a lot of folks like myself, who was willing to support your QB regardless of who he is. There are some ignorant fans. A lot of the sole Vick Fans are them. Sometimes, us black people can't get over the fact that one of us is not the best, or that we are guilty. I thought that they went overboard with the sentencing of Vick, but in no way that I think he was innocent. I have been a big support of Ryan since he was drafted, and as long as he's a Dirty Bird, I will continue to be. I supported Doug Johnson, Kurt Kitner, DJ Shockley, JPW, Joey Harrington, Chris Redman, etc.

I saw as many black people in Ryan Jerseys than [white] people and heard no criticism of Matt Ryan even when he played a bad game.

the jersey thing has experienced a seachange this season. by the end of last year, i was beginning to see more and more #2 jerseys, but still plenty of #7. at the MNF game this year, the #2 jerseys outnumbered the #7 jerseys 25-to-1 or maybe even more (the second most popular jersey that night were orange #18 jerseys as all the Vol-Manning fans came down from Tennessee).