Mock 11.4

vel

Well since the landscape has changed, let's have some fun again:

1. Tyler Eifert, TE, ND

I know some are going to say we need a DE and blah blah blah. The reason I go Eifert here is value, Eifert at 32 is better than any DE. Plus, the DE class is so deep, a DE at 64 will be good. Losing Tony G, we need to fill this void with a real playmaker. I see Eifert as a Gronk/Graham mix. He will go up and get it like Graham and isn't scared of contact like Gronk. His route running is very good, his hands are great, he has long speed and can block. He is a downfield threat, unlike Tony unfortunately. This would just make our offense that much more difficult to deal with. Roddy, Julio, Tyler would be a nightmare to deal with. Just watch his highlights from the BYU game to see how he attacks the ball downfield. I think the best TE prospect since that 09 group.

2. Ezekiel Ansah, BYU, DE

Some are going to say "He's not falling to #64" but I want to know why not? I see 8 DEs better than him right now (Okafor, Jordan, Carradine, Werner, Mingo, Montgomery, Moore, Lemonier) plus 3-4 rushers like Jones, Mosley, Porter and Thomas, somebody is falling. I'm picking Ansah here over Carradine. I like both but Ansah has the higher ceiling. I like him. He's strong, tenacious and fast. Not really explosive off the snap as you'd like, but he is a well rounded DE with Justin Tuck type potential in my opinion.

3. Stedman Bailey, WVU, WR

Let's keep the pressure on by adding another big time player on offense. I'm squeezing Kevin Cone off the roster and adding real depth to the position. Bailey reminds me so much of Antonio Brown. Imagine Brown as your #4 WR. Scary. The offense is going to change once Tony goes. Tony is our #3 option right now. With his departure, Eifert and HD will fight for the #3 spot, with the loser the #4. But adding Bailey, we can essentially go 4 Wide now without having to keep our TE on the field because he is the #3 option in the passing game. With this pick, our offense begins to resemble GB or NO.

4. Kenjon Barner, Oregon, RB

More speed. MORE SPEED! I'm squeezing more dead weight off the roster by replacing Antone Smith with Barner. Barner can fly but has good vision, is a tough runner and would be lethal in our new screen game. Just ripped USC a new one so he may not be here anymore but I'm going with it. Barner gives us much needed speed in the backfield and makes our offense even more difficult to deal with. People would assume the tactic is to lean heavily on our offense to build a lead. Why not embrace it?

5. Sanders Commings, UGA, CB

Massive corner at 6'2 215. Gives Nolan a toy to play with. Again, squeezes another guy off the roster in Franks. I let Commings develop behind Owens at the back end of the DC. Pretty quick for his size, fluid and can actually stay at corner. Reminds me of Richard Sherman. Solid depth.

6. Bruce Taylor, VT, MLB

Thumper with blitz potential. Had 6 sacks in 2010 and 5 in 2011 before he went down with injury. 91 tackles and 15.5 TFLs in 2010 are impressive. The talent is there. He is a smart player as well. Question marks about his foot injury, but as depth, this is a low risk high reward pick. I stick with Dent developing, especially since he's only asked to play two downs, but with Mike P leaving, we need depth again.

7. Jeff Braun, WVU, OT

Add depth to the line. Pass protects for that explosive WVU offense so he must have some ability. I move him inside to compete with those for the RG spot if we move Konz inside. I think between Holmes, Manley, Johnson, Reynolds and Johnson, our sore spot on the OLine could be a heated battle once again.

Criticisms:

I know some are going to say I ignored the defense until the mid rounds and I didn't even add to the OLine with much of anything. To them, I have a few reasons:

1. I added a DE, but at DT, who do you cut? I don't cut Jerry because 2013 is his contract year. Why not see what he provides. With Bab, Peters and Walker as the top three, Jerry and Robertson are good depth.

2. For the OLine, thanks to Baker, I don't see it much of a need. Baker, Blalock, Hawley, Konz, Clabo are a good starting group. Holmes, Reynolds, Johnson are fine depth. Maybe replace Johnson, but why before the later rounds?

3. As for DE, I give Mass a chance to prove his worth. He was good at Troy at his current weight. Give him time to develop and find his place in the new defense. Abe and Biermann are the starters, Edwards, Mass and Ansah are good depth.

4. At CB, I assume we keep Grimes. Even if we don't, McClain has earned his spot as the #3 man.

Love the first 4 picks. Although I love Gio Benerad, Barner wouldn't be a bad pickup

I like Benard too but I think he goes in the second and I don't want us to go RB that early. Barner is a gamer and would be a great complement in this offense. I debated between Lacy and Barner but after Barner's outburst, I had to put him down. Lacy is a very capable beast that gets no love for some reason. Sounds like a Falcon to me. He is big, has long speed, great feet and good vision. Would definitely be a good secondary pick here.

This is the best mock I've seen yet. I don't see anything on here I don't like.

Thanks. As you see in the mock, I was expecting some critics because I didn't add more than 1 defensive piece before the fifth, but I don't know who we cut yet to make room for them. We have both safeties, a group of corners with some hinging on if we resign Grimes, our LBs as long as Dent remains a 2 down player, which I expect, and our DTs. It will be interesting to see what happens, but for me, I think we just need a DE right now. If Mass can contribute next year, we've essentially added two DEs in one offseason the way I see it.

Why not, then, just make the offense more lethal, which would help the defense based on our scheme.

I have this feeling that the Seahawks are going to get Commings, just because it's a Pete Carrol thing.

I like the draft, Eifert and Bailey are great pick ups on O and Barner would be great in combination with Quizz. Ansah is still very raw but he's got a ton of physical talent and he's extremely versatile.

I'd prefer to take Kiko Alonzo over Taylor, also for a comp pick Quanterus Smith should be there in the 4th or 3rd.

I like Benard too but I think he goes in the second and I don't want us to go RB that early. Barner is a gamer and would be a great complement in this offense. I debated between Lacy and Barner but after Barner's outburst, I had to put him down. Lacy is a very capable beast that gets no love for some reason. Sounds like a Falcon to me. He is big, has long speed, great feet and good vision. Would definitely be a good secondary pick here.

Thanks. As you see in the mock, I was expecting some critics because I didn't add more than 1 defensive piece before the fifth, but I don't know who we cut yet to make room for them. We have both safeties, a group of corners with some hinging on if we resign Grimes, our LBs as long as Dent remains a 2 down player, which I expect, and our DTs. It will be interesting to see what happens, but for me, I think we just need a DE right now. If Mass can contribute next year, we've essentially added two DEs in one offseason the way I see it.

Why not, then, just make the offense more lethal, which would help the defense based on our scheme.

You really did a good job. You cover every need as well as adding value. Plus none of these picks look like they will be a reach where you have them taken.

Braun hasn't played OT since his sophomore year, and he was pretty bad. He would be a full-time guard in the NFL.

Hence the reason I say:

"I move him inside to compete with those for the RG spot if we move Konz inside."

He is still listed as an OT when I see his profiles.

• 3 weeks later...

If you could promise me that Barner would be available that late in the draft I'd sign up for it right here and now. Personally I think he's going to be one of the first 5 backs taken, meaning he'll be gone by the 3rd round. But that's just my opinion.

I don't know anything about the WR you have listed there in the 3rd, but I'm all for more offensive pieces, losing Tony is going to be a massive blow on offense. Will take at least 2 pieces to replace him (hopefully HD83 is one of those pieces)

As far as Taylor goes, I had him in my first mock but replaced him for someone a little more versatile, but I do like the player a lot.

Edited by Ghost of Truth

I need to get back on watching these prospects but I think we need a OG and put Konz at center where he belongs. The other position I am concerned with is LT. Will baker be the much improved baker from this year or he injury prone train wreck from the las two years? Do we believe that Holmes can take over for Baker? I would like to make that complete switch to the 3-4, which means we need a NT. I think the FA period is going to be important this year moreso than the previous years.

I need to get back on watching these prospects but I think we need a OG and put Konz at center where he belongs. The other position I am concerned with is LT. Will baker be the much improved baker from this year or he injury prone train wreck from the las two years? Do we believe that Holmes can take over for Baker? I would like to make that complete switch to the 3-4, which means we need a NT. I think the FA period is going to be important this year moreso than the previous years.

Seriously. Konz didn't take a snap at guard in college and is only doing so now because there is no one else to play it. Meanwhile, Hawley wasn't able to beat out McClure despite him not playing very well and now he's been suspended for performance enhancers. It's pretty clear Konz will shift to center next season and they'll have to get a worthwhile player to take over for RG, because Reynolds was terrible last season and average at best before getting injured this season. I'm really hoping they draft Larry Warford out of Kentucky because he'd not only fill the void left by Dahl but be an improvement over him.

Man saw the SEC championship game and all I can say is take Barrett Jones. He is versatile and good no matter where you put him. Was a All-American LT moved to Center and became a All-American candidate there. DRAFT BARRETT JONES.

Womack at G was really mashing people. I think fluker kicked down to rg would be pro bowl strong.

Point is, for our needs he is 3rd best on his own line.

Womack at G was really mashing people. I think fluker kicked down to rg would be pro bowl strong.

Point is, for our needs he is 3rd best on his own line.

I agree with all the above. Womack is an absolute stud. Fluker is a good player but as you said he should be at RG, he is not agile enough to play RT in the NFL.

I like Alec Ogletree, but can somebody tell me what makes him that much better than Kevin Minter?

Ogletree has elite athleticism and Minter doesn't. Minter has good athleticism though, definitely not a guy you would need to take off the field on 3rd down. I've seen almost every college game both have played in.