Espn On Why The "altana" Falcons Get No Respect

OC

So the media is obviously going to talk about Philly because they lost? From that point of view, the Jaguars should be getting way more media coverage then the rest of the league. Pretty much if teams they want to talk about lose, they see their losing as a reason to talk about them. If teams they want to talk about win, it's "well how about you guys win like they do! Then we will talk about you!" Basically they will find a reason to talk about the teams they want to talk about and they will always have an excuse to ignore the teams they don't want to talk about.

It's more than just the fact the Falcons haven't won a play-off game under Smith and TD. There is an underlying bias ~ and genuine dislike ~ against the South. Southerners have been insulted and despised since before the Civil War. The time-worn stereotype of Southerners being unwashed, ignorant, in-bred, racists has been played up in television, movies and in the press for more than 100 years. Apparently it's reassuring to the various other geographical areas of the country to feel they're better, smarter and more sophisticated than people who live in the South. That is also the primary reason why the Falcons will get only minimal respect if they do win the Super Bowl this year. This built-in bias against the South and all things Southern is never going to go away. We will never get any respect from any other section of the country, regardless of what happens with the Falcons. Just the way it is and the way it's always going to be. All that said, I'm proud to be a Southern man and feel nothing but total contempt for all things "Yankee."

Edited by PokerSteve

I am not sure which is worse right now. The lack of media attention or the constant reminder that we don't get media attention. I definitely don't think every snippet of information on this issue needs a new thread.

I thought this one was interesting because it's not a perceived slight; it's someone from the media actually addressing the issue. Also, I thought the fact that they misspelled Atlanta in the graphic was ironically hilarious.

I thought this one was interesting because it's not a perceived slight; it's someone from the media actually addressing the issue. Also, I thought the fact that they misspelled Atlanta in the graphic was ironically hilarious.

I get what you are saying but this is at least the third explanation from three different sources since Gonzo made his comment. Beyond that we know why. It really has little to do with playoff wins though, it is really about the lack of drama and that outside of Georgia very few people care if we are in the league or not.

It has nothing to do with playoff wins. And if Philly being a big market bust this season is news, what about Detroit, which was given much love before the season started? By the way, when was the last time Detroit (or Carolina for that matter) won a playoff game? Yeah, that's right. So, the excuse that it's about playoff wins is just that: an excuse.

Every team we beat gets put down the following week for the whole week.

The talking heads will do nothing but bash them into the ground and act lke how dare they let some team like the falcons beat them.

If we beat the Cowboys it will be a whole week of how Romo is so bad and how Jerry doesn't need to be the GM anymore

Edited by Brehus

I'm not understanding this weak schedule argument.

The Broncos beat the steelers handily, and almost came back to beat the Texans and Patriots in a similar manor as they did to us.

The Panthers lost to the 6-1 bears by 1 point in the final seconds, despite out stating them in every stat but the scoreboard. Five of their losses are by a combined 17 points.

The Redskins lost to the Giants on a defensive break down for 70 yards in the final minute, should have won. And have 4 of their losses by a combined 21 points.

The Eagles have beat the Giants (6-2) and Ravens (5-2) and lost to the Lions by a FG in OT, and the Steelers by 2 points.

Just looking at those stats alone, and not records, the teams we have played (other than the Chiefs) are really not that bad. They have some big wins or really hard fought losses. I don't buy the schedule thing unless you base it on wins and losses alone. Which still isn't something horrible (it's more based on two 1 win teams.)

Edited by treefidy