We're 7-0 But We're Not Perfect

Yes we are 7-0 and doing well in several key areas but we have some areas that need to be improved upon to get what we want. Here are a few:

OFFENSE

We have struggled trying to run the ball. This could haunt us in bad weather games or if we need to run the ball to kill clock. We also need to be a little more explosive in the pass game, while keeping the sacks down. Here are some stats:

15th - sacks allowed (15)

20th - rushing TDs (4)

23rd - 20+ yard rushes (3)

24th - rush yards per game (95.0)

26th - 20+ yard passes (19)

DEFENSE

We have to do a better job of stopping the run. Nearly every team we've faced has run over us. Yea we stopped PHI but did so by jumping out to a quick lead and taking them out of their running game. We also have to do a better job of getting off the field on 3rd down. Here are some stats:

20th - yards allowed per game (353.3)

23rd - yards allowed per play (5.7)

23rd - 3rd down defense (42%)

23rd - rushing TDs allowed (8)

26th - rushing yards allowed per game (136.4)

26th - 20+ yard rushes allowed (7)

29th - 40+ yard rushes allowed (3)

SPECIAL TEAMS

We are doing OK in most facets. We did have a couple kicks blocked and Franks needs to stop running laterally and get up the dam field. He is ranked 18th averaging only 7.8 yards per punt return. A strong punt return game can shift the field position in our favor.

Accomplishing these feats could be tough because we are getting ready to face some stout offenses like DAL, NO, NYG, DET and TB. We also will see some formidable defenses in DAL, ARI, NYG and DET. That's just to get through the regular season and into the playoffs where the quality of opponent will hit another level with teams like SF, CHI, GB, HOU, PIT, NE etc.

Thoughts?

We are 7-0 nuff said, despite our weaknesses we continue to get better which is even better especially as we head into the playoffs.

Where T H you been bro?

We didn't get better against CAR, WAS or OAK. We barely won and could have lost at least two of those games. The quality of opponent is about to get much better. If we don't fix some of these things we will start losing some games. 7-0 is cool and the paper championship is nice but neither will be worth a dam if we don't go deep into the playoffs. Trust me. How do the 8-0 and 12-1 runs in 2010 feel now? You probably don't even remember them.

Yes we are 7-0 and doing well in several key areas but we have some areas that need to be improved upon to get what we want. Here are a few:

OFFENSE

We have struggled trying to run the ball. This could haunt us in bad weather games or if we need to run the ball to kill clock. We also need to be a little more explosive in the pass game, while keeping the sacks down. Here are some stats:

20th - rushing TDs (4)

DEFENSE

We have to do a better job of stopping the run. Nearly every team we've faced has run over us. Yea we stopped PHI but did so by jumping out to a quick lead and taking them out of their running game. We also have to do a better job of getting off the field on 3rd down. Here are some stats:

SPECIAL TEAMS

We are doing OK in most facets. We did have a couple kicks blocked and Franks needs to stop running laterally and get up the dam field. He is ranked 18th averaging only 7.8 yards per punt return. A strong punt return game can shift the field position in our favor.

Accomplishing these feats could be tough because we are getting ready to face some stout offenses like DAL, NO, NYG, DET and TB. We also will see some formidable defenses in DAL, ARI, NYG and DET. That's just to get through the regular season and into the playoffs where the quality of opponent will hit another level with teams like SF, CHI, GB, HOU, PIT, NE etc.

Thoughts?

You make quality points but I always cared more about the PPG on offense and Defense more then yardage. Not trying to really argue with you its just my preference and we are ranked:

5th in PPG on offense

7th in PPG on Defense

so for now it works for me :D

No team is perfect, but I know what you are saying. Sure, there are areas where we need to see some improvement; for me the most important would be improving on our running game.

I know we are more of a passing team now, but we need to be able to run for the rough yards in crucial situations. With our coordinators, I believe we can improve in those areas.

Every team in the league has weaknesses. Last year the Packers went 13-0 but lost to the Chiefs who noone thought they could lose to. Of course there are problems, but our players and our coaches are good enough to overcome that to win in spite of them. The close games prove that.

Edited by hjerry

I agree on most of your points and I'm fairly certain the coaches and players would too. I just hope we can get it all together come playoff time, and I think there is a good chance we do.

One thing I've been thinking about with punt returns is that Franks rarely gets a chance to return it. It seems like so many of the punts land inside the 15 yard line or either guys are too close to Franks when he catches it. There have been some times where he has had a chance and I admit he hasn't done too much with it, but I hope this is another thing we can improve on. Franks is more of a catch it and look for a hole before he runs and there haven't been too many holes for him.

Does anyone else think he has had much fewer opportunities due to where he is catching it? Is there a way to compare that to other punt returners?

To be honest, I'm surprised at how this team has played without a true MLB and pass rush. The new coordinators have been like night and day from the previous ones (actually can game plan). I knew we could compete with teams but not expose some of them the way we have. I gave us two years of drafts and FA signings before I thought we'd really dominate on both sides of the ball. Something that none of us counted on was the fight in this team to not have the "can't win in the playoff" label stuck to them again this year. We WILL win a playoff game this year--if not more (NFC Championship). I don't see too many teams that can totally dominate us as in the past. The process has been working for this team.

OFFENSE

20th - rushing TDs (4)

DEFENSE

SPECIAL TEAMS

Thoughts?

stfu

OFFENSE

20th - rushing TDs (4)

DEFENSE

SPECIAL TEAMS

Thoughts?

You make some valid points but to be honest all those teams we are about to face have their weaknesses too. NO worst defense in the league. We can stop them more than they can stop us for sure, NY secondary is below average and Eli has been just ok this year, Detroit can't rely on just Calvin Johnson. Andy Reid doesn't really run the ball. We didn't really take the run game out by jumping to an early lead cause they gave shady the ball 16 times for 45 yards. 2.8 ypc. He was just shut down straight up and down. McFadden was shut down as well. 27 for 70 for 2.8. It's the one big run that has been killing us with missed tackles. Washington's run game never sniffed the end zone, Cam accounted for 86 of Carolina's rush total and the Oakland game stayed close because of 3 turnovers we had. To be honest nobody's run game has done us in or come close to it. Wash we had 2 turnovers that kept the game close. One for a pick 6. My opinion we just need to take care of the ball and eliminate the missed tackles for big gains. 3rd down D has been pretty good since the KC game. That's the reason it's around 42%. Since that game we've been in the 30 percentile. The way this team is built some of those numbers are skewed and very misleading.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Thoughts?

I am just about done with Franks. We have had amazing field position all year but that has nothing to do with our PR. We could be doing so much better with a guy who makes better decisions and like you said , runs north south. He just seems to be over thinking things and is to cautious and its been hurting us. He lets balls go when he shouldn't we've had to start behind the 5 more times then I care to think about. He needs to either be replaced or RTFU.

I am just about done with Franks. We have had amazing field position all year but that has nothing to do with our PR. We could be doing so much better with a guy who makes better decisions and like you said , runs north south. He just seems to be over thinking things and is to cautious and its been hurting us. He lets balls go when he shouldn't we've had to start behind the 5 more times then I care to think about. He needs to either be replaced or RTFU.

I suppose Franks may be good for something as a person taking up a roster spot, but as a punt returner, he's hot garbage.

I shared many of your listed concerns regarding this team's weaknesses, but we looked so much better in so many aspects of our overall game against Philly I've really gained a lot of confidence these coaches can prevent any of these from being a deal-breaker. If we show as much improvement in the Dallas game as we showed last week over how we played vs Oakland, we're going to remain undefeated and we will flat blow out the T'aints two weeks from now. The upward curve toward perfection is becoming steeper and accelarating as the season goes on.