Why I Think This Year Is Important For Us

OC

Superlatives like the undefeated start & Smitty's record aside, I think this year is important for us because of what it does for us next year. Let's be honest. This year has been full of hiccups for us, in terms of how we play, and this trend will probably continue with the absence of Spoon Sunday night. But, at the end of the day, in the words of Parcells, you are what your record says you are. Worst case scenario, we are still tied for the best record in the league, and have been playing top-level ball pretty much all year. This is especially encouraging when one considers comments like those from W.A.R. and Decoud, who have said we are nowhere near playing our best ball yet.

Now, what does this have to do with next year? I think this is the year we become solidified as a perennial playoff contender. That said, the regular season becomes less important for us next year, as the chief concern becomes succeeding in the playoffs because it is more beneficial to do so there than in the regular season (as opposed to this year, where it seems as though we are enjoying much success to prove we will be able to succeed in the postseason). This becomes important to consider looking at our schedule where we face, assuming regularity in personnel, an improved NFC West, the AFC East, and more than likely, the Bears and Giants again. I think, next year, we go through the regular season as a team like the more recent Super Bowl winners, who hit the best of their stride later in the season & carry the momentum throughout the playoffs.

I'm not saying this year, and the success we've achieved so far (and our assumed future success) is unimportant. I think this year sets the foundation for that, because more than anything, our mentality has changed. And that's one of the biggest and best things to happen with the improvements in our coaching and team.