Konz Shines In First Nfl Start

This is several days old but it didn't come up on the search. I for one am excited since RG has been an issue. It would be nice if he could master RG and slide over to C next year.

Falcons guard Peter Konz shines in his first NFL start

7:00 pm October 28, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

PHILADELPHIA — Peter Konz, the Falcons’ top draft pick, made his first NFL start at right guard against the Eagles on Sunday.

Konz, a second-round pick (55th overall) from Wisconsin, has been active for all seven games and had been contributing on special teams.

Garrett Reynolds, who started the first six games, has missed practice time due to a back injury.

Konz, 6 foot 5 and 317 pounds, appeared to hold up in pass protection and was solid with his run blocking

On one play in the second quarter, he couldn’t match the power of Philadelphia defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins, but he guided him away for quarterback Matt Ryan, who scrambled for a 7-yard gain.

Konz also looked solid on a combination block, where he passed a defender over to center Todd McClure and then got back in place to pick up Eagles linebacker DeMeco Ryans, who was blitzing.

With Konz in the lineup, running backs Jacquizz Rodger and Michael Turner combined to rush for more than 100 yards.

Peters plays

Defensive tackle Corey Peters, who was activated from the reserve/non-football list on Friday, saw his first action of the season in the second quarter.

With Peters back from a foot injury, the Falcons unveiled a new first-down defense that featured three defensive tackles and one defensive end.

At times, the Falcons used Jonathan Babineaux at end and Vance Walker and Peria Jerry at tackles. Later they replaced Jerry with Peters in an attempt to improve their run defense. The Eagles finished with 92 rushing yards.

Bowing to the weather

Inclement weather demanded that the Falcons attempt to run the ball. Despite a slow start, they stayed with the ground game and it paid off late in the third quarter.

Chipping away at the Eagles with a 27-10 lead, Rodgers finally broke away for a 43-yard run to the Eagles’ 28-yard line. The drive led to a field goal.

With the pre-game forecast calling for wind and rain from Hurricane Sandy, the Falcons attempted to lean on their rushing attack early.

The Falcons opened with fullback Lousaka Polite in front of Turner in the I-formation. The Falcons ran the ball nine times on their 16-play opening drive. On their second possession, the Falcons ran the ball four times on an eight-play touchdown drive.

Though the rain held off until the third quarter, Falcons finished with 146 ground yards on 37 attempts for an average of 3.9 yards per carry.

Not so close

The Eagles had played all of their previous opponents close. Five of Philadelphia’s first six games were decided by three or fewer points.

The Eagles had won four straight at home against the Falcons. Atlanta’s last win in Philadelphia came on Oct. 30, 1988.

Player moves

Wide receiver Harry Douglas, who was declared out on Friday, was inactive for the game along with backup quarterback Dominique Davis, center-guard Joe Hawley, tackle Lamar Holmes, defensive tackle Travian Robertson, defensive tackle Jonathan Massaquoi and defensive end Cliff Matthews.

Injury report

Falcons linebacker Sean Weatherspoon left the game with an ankle injury and did not return. … Walker left the game with a head injury, but returned. … Philadelphia wide receiver Mardy Gilyard suffered a hamstring injury and did not return to the game. … Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson (ankle) left the field for X-rays, but returned.

Etc.

Under coach Andy Reid, the Eagles are now 13-1 after a bye week. … Defensive end John Abraham, who had 9 1/2 sacks last season, recorded his seventh sack in the fourth quarter.

LATEST NEWS

Injury report: Harry Douglas is out; Peters may be activated

Falcons at Eagles: 3 key matchups

Falcons at Eagles: By the numbers

Is Michael Vick the “Coach Killer?”

Will the Philadelphia fans cheer for Asante Samuel?

OTHER RECENT STORIES

Q&A: Falcons coach Mike Smith on first practice after the bye week

Tight end Michael Palmer (shoulder injury) returned to practice on Monday

Defensive tackle Corey Peters (stress fracture left foot) returned to practice on Monday

I think the FO values his exp and leadership more than anything else.

Think you're right. May also want to not make that many changes on the Oline and they're planning on Konz playing the rest of the year:

From Pat Y's blog:

The coaching staff was very happy with how rookie Peter Konz fared in his first start at right guard. Even if Garrett Reynolds gets healthy quickly, I’d look for Konz to remain in the starting lineup.

Think you're right. May also want to not make that many changes on the Oline and they're planning on Konz playing the rest of the year:

From Pat Y's blog:

The coaching staff was very happy with how rookie Peter Konz fared in his first start at right guard. Even if Garrett Reynolds gets healthy quickly, I’d look for Konz to remain in the starting lineup.

Its really a strategic move in and of itself. I'm not 100% certain the OL would be as good as it is with McClure sitting. There is a whole lot more than physically blocking. Sometimes its looking over and seeing a familiar face.

Its really a strategic move in and of itself. I'm not 100% certain the OL would be as good as it is with McClure sitting. There is a whole lot more than physically blocking. Sometimes its looking over and seeing a familiar face.

it would help if your guy is moving forward instead of backwards when the ball is snapped too. that's the main beef I have with McClure. Hawley wasn't getting pushed back in preseason. and I noticed that there wasn't that much pulling and trapping Sunday against the Eagles, only for screen passes.

Falcons guard Peter Konz shines in his first NFL start

7:00 pm October 28, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

PHILADELPHIA — Peter Konz, the Falcons’ top draft pick, made his first NFL start at right guard against the Eagles on Sunday.

Konz, a second-round pick (55th overall) from Wisconsin, has been active for all seven games and had been contributing on special teams.

Garrett Reynolds, who started the first six games, has missed practice time due to a back injury.

Konz, 6 foot 5 and 317 pounds, appeared to hold up in pass protection and was solid with his run blocking

On one play in the second quarter, he couldn’t match the power of Philadelphia defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins, but he guided him away for quarterback Matt Ryan, who scrambled for a 7-yard gain.

Konz also looked solid on a combination block, where he passed a defender over to center Todd McClure and then got back in place to pick up Eagles linebacker DeMeco Ryans, who was blitzing.

With Konz in the lineup, running backs Jacquizz Rodger and Michael Turner combined to rush for more than 100 yards.

I thought he played well, and I think they were hoping to give him a chance after the bye. But I would stop short of saying that he 'shines'. He did a good job, but he also got smacked around a few times. I think he could be part of "Da Future" on the OL. But he's got some learning to do.

it would help if your guy is moving forward instead of backwards when the ball is snapped too. that's the main beef I have with McClure. Hawley wasn't getting pushed back in preseason. and I noticed that there wasn't that much pulling and trapping Sunday against the Eagles, only for screen passes.

Would have been a +1 had you not tried to make him "my guy".

I think what some people don't understand when it comes to just putting in a new center is most of the time, the rookie has to get up to speed on blocking at the NFL level. Once he masters that he needs to recognize various d formations and call the adjustments on the spot. I would say Konz is still working on technique but so far has faced one of the better pass rushing DT's in Cullen Jenkins.

I see the same thing which is why I wish Hawley would step up to play RG and let Konz move to center. I was just giving my best guess to the logic that I'm seeing.

Hawley has a few more games experience at center & knows how to call the protections

I think what some people don't understand when it comes to just putting in a new center is most of the time, the rookie has to get up to speed on blocking at the NFL level. Once he masters that he needs to recognize various d formations and call the adjustments on the spot. I would say Konz is still working on technique but so far has faced one of the better pass rushing DT's in Cullen Jenkins.

I agree that's why Hawley should be at center for now since he's faced different defenses.