Let's Talk About Backup Qbs.

Kayoh

I'm sick of the talking heads of the sports media giving more love to Tim Tebow than most starting QBs, so I wanted to point out some other backup QBs that deserve more spotlight.

First of all, Nick Foles in Philadelphia. Vick has gotten so bad that they're actually altering the offense to make up for his deficiencies. Foles can run an NFL offense, and he can run it well. This kid's pocket presence reminds me a LOT of Peyton Manning and he has very similar footwork to Peyton inside the pocket. His arm is stronger than most QBs, and he can make every throw there is to make in the NFL. The kid is smart, and if Philadelphia is willing to adjust their offense to make up for Vick's deficiencies, I don't understand why they wouldn't be able to adjust to Foles to make him more comfortable.

Secondly, Colin Kaepernick in San Fransisco. Here's a kid that I've been following since his first snap in Nevada, running that Pistol offense. He's a special talent. The biggest knock I've ever seen on him is that his frame is too frail, and he seems to have beefed up in his time in San Fransisco. He's one of the fastest QBs in the league. Not exactly RG3, but faster than guys like Newton and Luck. Great arm, too. Can stretch the field with the best of 'em. The fact that San Fransisco is sticking with that scrub Alex Smith blows my mind when they've got this ticking time bomb waiting to explode onto the scene.

And finally, Kirk Cousins in Washington. I feel bad for him, because unless RG3 gets hurt, he's never going to see playing time in Washington, but he's the kind of guy that can resurrect a franchise. He should be starting for somebody in the NFL right now. If Russell Wilson can start for an NFL Team, the guy who beat him with a Hail Mary should be able to, also. Cousins has so many traits in common with Tom Brady it's almost eerie. I hate that Shanahan drafted him after drafting RG3, and I think Shanny needs to trade him for some kind of value ASAP. Kansas City, Oakland, Jacksonville, Arizona...Kirk Cousins needs to be starting in the NFL right now, taking his bumps and learning the ropes.

Cousins does play well. But doubt he will get a lot of playing time, Unless like you say, RG3 gets hurt. But when Kirk does play. He plays really well!

Kilpatrick is more of a running QB or third down option. But needs to throw well.

Foles could be a starter if Andy Reid changes his mind at the last minute this week or next week if Vick struggles one more time!

Cousins does play well. But doubt he will get a lot of playing time, Unless like you say, RG3 gets hurt. But when Kirk does play. He plays really well!

Kilpatrick is more of a running QB or third down option. But needs to throw well.

Foles could be a starter if Andy Reid changes his mind at the last minute this week or next week if Vick struggles one more time!

Kilpatrick? Ehm...it's Kaepernick, but regardless of that, he isn't a running QB, he's a passing QB, he just so happens to have great wheels. Think of him more in the mold of RG3 or Steve Young than Cam or Vick.

• 3 weeks later...

Secondly, Colin Kaepernick in San Fransisco. Here's a kid that I've been following since his first snap in Nevada, running that Pistol offense. He's a special talent. The biggest knock I've ever seen on him is that his frame is too frail, and he seems to have beefed up in his time in San Fransisco. He's one of the fastest QBs in the league. Not exactly RG3, but faster than guys like Newton and Luck. Great arm, too. Can stretch the field with the best of 'em. The fact that San Fransisco is sticking with that scrub Alex Smith blows my mind when they've got this ticking time bomb waiting to explode onto the scene.

Now that Kaepernick is now the starting QB in San Francisco I decided to bump this. Not really sure how you can say a QB is a "scrub" when he's 1st in Completion %, 2nd in Yards-per-Attempt, 3rd in QBR, 9th in TQBR and has only lost 5 of his last 26 starts. It's ironic that the last time they played the Saints Smith threw for 299 and put up 4 TDs including the two Go-Ahead TDs in the final minutes and now the backup has his job in the rematch after one game despite Smith playing his best ball ever.

Edited by bilwit

Now that Kaepernick is now the starting QB in San Francisco I decided to bump this. Not really sure how you can say a QB is a "scrub" when he's 1st in Completion %, 2nd in Yards-per-Attempt, 3rd in QBR, 9th in TQBR and has only lost 5 of his last 26 starts. It's ironic that the last time they played the Saints Smith threw for 299 and put up 4 TDs including the two Go-Ahead TDs in the final minutes and now the backup has his job in the rematch after one game despite Smith playing his best ball ever.

Smith has only ever looked great in games that the 9ers had the lead in. They've always relied on their defense, running game and ball management to get them the lead, but sometimes it works out so well that they get a huge lead early and that's when Alex Smith decides to show up and throw all over the other team to beef up his statline. He's accurate, yes, but he is not a playmaker. Alex Smith is the San Fransisco equivalent to Chad Pennington. Nobody has ever said he's a bad starter, and I don't think he's a bad starter, I just think Kaepernick is that much better that it's a shame they're keeping the superior talent as a backup...well, not anymore! Thanks for the bump, this thread is a cute little gem in time. :)

Smith has only ever looked great in games that the 9ers had the lead in. They've always relied on their defense, running game and ball management to get them the lead, but sometimes it works out so well that they get a huge lead early and that's when Alex Smith decides to show up and throw all over the other team to beef up his statline. He's accurate, yes, but he is not a playmaker. Alex Smith is the San Fransisco equivalent to Chad Pennington. Nobody has ever said he's a bad starter, and I don't think he's a bad starter, I just think Kaepernick is that much better that it's a shame they're keeping the superior talent as a backup...well, not anymore! Thanks for the bump, this thread is a cute little gem in time. smile.png

You do know that Smith set the 49er franchise record for most 4th quarter comebacks in a season last year with 6 right.. Not a playmaker? Only good with a lead? How about the Saints playoff game where that vaunted defense gave up 472 yards and 32 points? Who did they call on drive them 80 yards for a TD twice in the waning minutes?

This year they've only been down in a couple games and they happened to lose those. Big deal, two whole games -- should we expect them to go 16-0? It's funny you would say that when Kaepernick came into the Rams game only down by 7 and couldn't win and then was never down against the Bears and piled it on just like you accused Smith of doing.

Edited by bilwit

You do know that Smith set the 49er franchise record for most 4th quarter comebacks in a season last year with 6 right.. Not a playmaker? Only good with a lead? How about the Saints playoff game where that vaunted defense gave up 472 yards and 32 points? Who did they call on drive them 80 yards for a TD twice in the waning minutes?

This year they've only been down in a couple games and they happened to lose those. Big deal, two whole games -- should we expect them to go 16-0? It's funny you would say that when Kaepernick came into the Rams game only down by 7 and couldn't win and then was never down against the Bears and piled it on just like you accused Smith of doing.

If San Fransisco had a top QB, a Manning, Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, ****, even a Schaub, they'd be 10-0 right now. Their losses were due to their offense being unable to play from behind. Minnesota knew that, which is why they beat them - they dared Alex Smith to beat them in the air and he was incapable despite having weapons like Davis, Moss, Crabtree and Manningham at his disposal. The Giants dominated San Fransisco because they knew that all they had to do was force the 9ers to abandon the run and Alex Smith would throw the game away. Colin Kaepernick RIGHT NOW might not give San Fransisco the best chance to win over Smith, but Alex Smith hit his ceiling last season in the playoffs - don't ever expect him to play that well again, because he won't. Kaepernick's ceiling is Warren Moon, if not higher.

Kilpatrick? Ehm...it's Kaepernick, but regardless of that, he isn't a running QB, he's a passing QB, he just so happens to have great wheels. Think of him more in the mold of RG3 or Steve Young than Cam or Vick.

Thanks for correcting that. Well Kapernick is going to start this weekend. And the 49ers say it is not just a health decision. Jay Cutler could be back this weekend with the Bears. As hopefully he will be over his concussion or that he can work through it as you hate to see a player get hurt. Your health is the most important thing no matter what sport you play.

If San Fransisco had a top QB, a Manning, Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, ****, even a Schaub, they'd be 10-0 right now. Their losses were due to their offense being unable to play from behind. Minnesota knew that, which is why they beat them - they dared Alex Smith to beat them in the air and he was incapable despite having weapons like Davis, Moss, Crabtree and Manningham at his disposal. The Giants dominated San Fransisco because they knew that all they had to do was force the 9ers to abandon the run and Alex Smith would throw the game away. Colin Kaepernick RIGHT NOW might not give San Fransisco the best chance to win over Smith, but Alex Smith hit his ceiling last season in the playoffs - don't ever expect him to play that well again, because he won't. Kaepernick's ceiling is Warren Moon, if not higher.

Did you just ignore the prior post listing all of the come from behind victories?