Matt Ryan Is Climbing To The Next Nfl Level

theProf

Atlanta Falcons: Matt Ryan is climbing to the next NFL level

5:00 am November 1, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH — When Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan takes the field these days, he does so with certain calmness and clarity.

“You never see him get rattled,” center Todd McClure said. “He never changes.”

In his fifth season, Ryan, 27, is showing experience beyond his years or his 72 NFL starts as he’s guided the Falcons to a 7-0 record for the first time in franchise history.

Ryan will try to make it 8-0 when the Falcons play the Dallas Cowboys (3-4) at 8:20 p.m. Sunday at the Georgia Dome.

Ryan, a native of Exton, Pa., is coming off a stellar showing against the Eagles, where he had his third-highest passer rating of his career, 137.4.

Ryan acknowledges that he’s dealing with less clutter and noise this season.

“I’ve been playing quarterback in this league for a number of years now, and I think you become more comfortable with everything. You know what’s important and want’s not,” Ryan said. “What you need to stress about and what you don’t need to stress about. I think all of those things help you play better and prepare better.”

Ryan has the support of his teammates and new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, but when he has to bounce something off someone, he usually chats with Houston quarterback Matt Schaub, a former Falcon.

“We kind of grew up in the same area, and he’s another guy that I think handles things the right way,” Ryan said. “He works hard, is always prepared and has been playing great for a number of years.”

Schaub has admired Ryan’s work this season from afar.

“He’s playing great,” Schaub said. “When you look at them, they’re not a big running team, they’re not very successful running the football right now and they ask him to do a lot at the line of scrimmage, he’s got a lot of weapons.”

Ryan is the consummate professional. He was embarrassed when told that his “get the (expletive) off our field” comment went viral over the Internet after the heart-stopping 30-28 victory over Carolina on Sept. 30.

That was the 17th time he guided the Falcons to a victory in the fourth quarter or overtime. The following weeks at Washington and against Oakland he notched the 18th and 19th such victory.

After the bye week, there would be no such drama needed against the Eagles.

“It’s his fifth year, and he’s had the experience,” McClure said. “The more experience you get, the better you are. … You can go out there and let your talent show. He’s just been playing unbelievably well. We know if we can keep him clean, the sky is the limit for this team.”

Ryan has completed 182 of 265 passes for 2,018 yards with 17 touchdowns and six interceptions for a passer rating of 103, which trails only Denver’s Peyton Manning (109) and Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers (107.9).

He’s done a masterful job of spreading the ball around to receivers Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez. Last week, his first two touchdown passes were to backups Drew Davis and Jason Snelling.

“For a quarterback, it’s all about touchdowns and turnovers,” Ryan said. “Those kinds of things are ultimately the most important. So far, we’ve done a pretty good job of that this year.”

Ryan’s drive to improve has fueled his climb in the league. He even had some issues with the Philadelphia game.

“Far from perfect,” Ryan said. “You’re never going to be completely perfect, but you’re always trying to work towards that.”

They’ve come close a couple of times this season.

Against the Eagles, Ryan directed the offense to scores on their first six possessions. In the season opener against Kansas City, he guided the offense to scores on their first eight possessions.

Still, he was not pleased because they were not all touchdowns.

“I think red-zone touchdown percentage is huge,” Ryan said. “Last week, we scored on the first six drives, but we had opportunities on those last three that if we execute better you can put up touchdowns.”

Ryan has an edge to him that he rarely shows in public. But McClure said, don’t let Ryan’s calmness and boyish smile fool you.

“There’s been a few times where he’s gotten on some guys in some situations where we maybe got a penalty here and there,” McClure said.

Ryan’s teammates recognize him making the trek toward being one of the game’s better quarterbacks.

“This is nothing new to us,” running back Michael Turner said. “We have been seeing the improvement year in and year out. He’s ready to take it to the next level.”

http://blogs.ajc.com...ta_falcons_blog

“I think red-zone touchdown percentage is huge,” Ryan said. “Last week, we scored on the first six drives, but we had opportunities on those last three that if we execute better you can put up touchdowns.”

Ruthlessness, greed, and high expectations...killer instinct is greatly appreciated from this fan.

Make it happen in prime time this Sunday.

Ruthlessness, greed, and high expectations...killer instinct is greatly appreciated from this fan.

Or ... "No offense to you Bryant, but aside from kicking extra points I want you to be very well rested."

Atlanta Falcons: Matt Ryan is climbing to the next NFL level

5:00 am November 1, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH — When Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan takes the field these days, he does so with certain calmness and clarity.

http://blogs.ajc.com...ta_falcons_blog

MATT RYAN HAS ALWAYS TAKEN THE FIELD WITH CALMNESS AND CLARITY.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED IS, NOW THE PLAYERS AROUND HIM TAKES THE

FIELD WITH A CERTAIN CALMNESS AND CLARITY.

4 Sho

Love how all the things the Ryan detractors complain about have dropped away.

Can't win outdoor? Done

Can't win in bad weather? Done

Can't throw deep? Done

No heart? "Get the "F" off my field"

Can't win without a run game? Done

Only thing left is a playoff run, he can't do anything about that now, except to make sure that he gets back to the playoffs and sets his team up as well as possible.

Can't win outdoor? Done

Can't throw deep? Done

Only thing left is a playoff run, he can't do anything about that now, except to make sure that he gets back to the playoffs and sets his team up as well as possible.

boom

Can't win outdoor? Done

Can't throw deep? Done

You are also admitting that they were right...since it needed to be Done.

Happy for it.

I really like that he and Schaub are buddies. Good article.

exactly.....2 of the more level headed stars in the league supporting each

other, no Hollywood here folks,they just get their game face on and win games while

understanding every moving part of the offence.

Heard on Sirius yesterday the coaches sent a "BLANK" game plan tape home with

Jamarcus Russell one time. Coaches asked him what he thought, he said

" Im all over it coach" LMAO How lucky are we not having to deal with siht like this ....

You are also admitting that they were right...since it needed to be Done.

Happy for it.

Not really, the arm strength arguments were always bogus, as was the idea he had no heart.

He won in bad weather in NY a couple of years ago, won without a run game earlier as well.

What he's done is taken his game to a new level and become more consistent with all these things.

exactly.....2 of the more level headed stars in the league supporting each

other, no Hollywood here folks,they just get their game face on and win games while

understanding every moving part of the offence.

Heard on Sirius yesterday the coaches sent a "BLANK" game plan tape home with

Jamarcus Russell one time. Coaches asked him what he thought, he said

" Im all over it coach" LMAO How lucky are we not having to deal with siht like this ....

ROFLMAO

Edited by slick0ne

Not really, the arm strength arguments were always bogus, as was the idea he had no heart.

He won in bad weather in NY a couple of years ago, won without a run game earlier as well.

What he's done is taken his game to a new level and become more consistent with all these things.

It was all legit and to some degree still is. The heart one especially was real last year and in previous seasons. Everyone here can see he's much more willing to make a play this year than anytime in his career. Just because you are delusional doesn't mean others didn't see it. I am all for Ryan success as that means Falcons success.

It was all legit and to some degree still is. The heart one especially was real last year and in previous seasons. Everyone here can see he's much more willing to make a play this year than anytime in his career. Just because you are delusional doesn't mean others didn't see it. I am all for Ryan success as that means Falcons success.

Disagreeing with you doesn't make me delusional.

Someone who thinks that Cam is the best player in the NFL really shouldn't talk about anybody else being delusional.