Strength Of Schedule

freefall

The theory of "strength of schedule" in the NFL is that if a team faces weak to average competition throughout the regular season, then they tend to not fare well in the post-season against the good to great teams. This is not my theory or opinion; just a theory I have heard several times throughout the years from the "pundits and experts". They use examples to support their theory; several of which I cannot recall right now ( I think one example they actually used was when the Broncos made the playoffs by winning their division back in the early 2000s). I just remember them giving several examples of past match-ups and such. My thing is, you can only play the hand dealt to you. This is just apart of it.

Edited by irú olóyè kan ti Ôlörun

The theory of "strength of schedule" in the NFL is that if a team faces weak to average competition throughout the regular season, then they tend to not fare well in the post-season against the good to great teams. This is not my theory or opinion; just a theory I have heard several times throughout the years from the "pundits and experts". They use examples to support their theory; several of which I cannot recall right now ( I think one example they actually used was when the Broncos made the playoffs by winning their division back in the early 2000s). I just remember them giving several examples of past match-ups and such. My thing is, you can only play the hand dealt to you. This is just apart of it.

I heard someone refer to the Pats a few years ago, and he sarcastically made the comment that the great Belichek could control his teams schedule to keep it weak to get them in the playoffs. but that it cost them once they got there. don't remember what year he was talking about, but it wasn't very long ago

I heard someone refer to the Pats a few years ago, and he sarcastically made the comment that the great Belichek could control his teams schedule to keep it weak to get them in the playoffs. but that it cost them once they got there. don't remember what year he was talking about, but it wasn't very long ago

Yea, I remember that, too.

It'd be a lot stronger if we were losing to these teams. Double edged sword, the more you win, the "weaker" your schedule looks.

exactly, some one posted the other day what the records of our opponents would be if they'd beat us, it was still a losing record....

also, when we played them, only 3 of our 7 wins came against teams with losing records....their records now have to reflect the loss we laid on them

New England has had a weak schedule for about a decade and NOBODY brings that up EVER.

A team's regular season schedule doesn't determine how good you are. A team's performance during those games determine how good you are.

"Any Given Sunday" is one of the most well-known phrases in the history of the NFL yet the same ppl that say that forget that when they say a team has a weak schedule.

Edited by Numbaz

Guest Negatorris

Look at the top teams schedules. More than likely their strength of schedule is low because they have delivered losses to multiple opponents.

It's completely opposite with the weak team, for example the Panthters. I've heard how they have one of the toughest schedules in football. In reality, they only have two different games than the Falcons, but since they suck perception is that their schedule is hard.

ULM be ballin' MTU got offense but no defense. Both those years can beat The Jags, Jets, Panthers. Every team has the same basic schedule we play the same teams as Bucs, Saints and Panthers. Everyone looks at there schedule and think its hard then look at ours and says we haven't beaten anyone. We rolled all the teams put in front of us and those same teams rolled everyone else in the NFCS

Current records of the remaining opponents on the Falcon's schedule

3-4

2-5 twice

4-4

3-4 twice

1-6

6-2

3-4

One of these is not like the others. Think the away division games will be tough, the Giants game obviously, but do the Cowboys, Lions and Cardinals really scare you?

get ready to hear alot more about SOS over the course of the year-esp. if the Falcons lose to the Giants.

Current records of the remaining opponents on the Falcon's schedule

3-4

2-5 twice

4-4

3-4 twice

1-6

6-2

3-4

One of these is not like the others. Think the away division games will be tough, the Giants game obviously, but do the Cowboys, Lions and Cardinals really scare you?

get ready to hear alot more about SOS over the course of the year-esp. if the Falcons lose to the Giants.

Cowboys do scare me yes , they have a pretty decent defense and their pass rushers are freaks.

I recently had a debate with a 9er fan about this. Less than half of the teams in the league have a winning record, but I guess the falcons suck since we haven't played atleast 6 of them. you can still lose on any given sunday. Its just a lack of respect. Oh well. Haters gon hate. Deez haters can't hol me back.

And their Oline sucks, their QB is 1-3 in the last 4 games with 4 TDs and 10 picks, only team they beat in that stretch has 1 win for the season... this is certainly a winnable game.

I'm not saying it's not a winnable game but to say they don't scare you is dumb. The only team that doesn't scare me at the moment is Arizona after watching them play they appear to have quit already.