Power Fail: White House Directs Storm Victims To … The Internet

Guest Deisel

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snake, here's the deal. This post perfectly illustrates why I believe, in my heart of hearts, so much of what you post makes you look like you are TRYING to be a complete tool.

First, you are politicizing a National disaster. Pretty shameful

Second, unlike Katrina, the President and the federal government actually DOING a "heckuva job brownie." At least according to Republican governor Chris Christie (who, unlike myself, managed to praise the President without making a racial slur . . . but you have to admit, its' sort of funny.)

Third, even according to the linked article, he was advising folks to go to the website for information BEFORE the storm hit. If you actually bothered to go to the website yourself, rather than try to make people think you are a complete partisan a hole, you would learn that there actually is a lot of good advice. One little tidbit is to listen to radio DURING the storm for instructions. (There is advice to keep a battery operated radio and fresh batteries on hand as well. It even advises that "fresh" batteries are batteries purchased in recent months, NOT batteries that might not have been used but that were purchased several years ago. That's some pretty good advice!)

Edited by holymoses

Snake, here's the deal. This post perfectly illustrates why I believe, in my heart of hearts, so much of what you post makes you look like you are TRYING to be a complete tool.

Second, unlike Katrina, the President and the federal government actually DOING a "heckuva job brownie." At least according to Republican governor Chris Christie (who, unlike myself, managed to praise the President without making a racial slur . . . but you have to admit, its' sort of funny.)

Third, even according to the linked article, he was advising folks to go to the website for information BEFORE the storm hit. If you actually bothered to go to the website yourself, rather than try to make people think you are a complete partisan a hole, you would learn that there actually is a lot of good advice. One little tidbit is to listen to radio DURING the storm for instructions. (There is advice to keep a battery operated radio and fresh batteries on hand as well. It even advises that "fresh" batteries are batteries purchased in recent months, NOT batteries that might not have been used but that were purchased several years ago. That's some pretty good advice!)

This is all moot as diesel will exercise his 2nd amendment rights long before these people are able to log on to the internet.

Moses, of course obamas doing a good job, what, I don't know, but he's a democrat and his election press needs a boost. Tell me counselor, what's obama done that bush didn't do? Tell me why the left can attack romney for doing a fund raiser and I can't say boo on halloween abt the wh directing people to the website. Hey counselor, obamas press release was, deregulate so people can rebuild. Fan fuc.in tastic. Imagine that. Mr regulation says, deregulate to get something done. So, tell me mr partisan what has your president done, actually, besides throw some money at a problem.

Oh, moses. Are u trying to say, the left didn't politicize katrina?????cause u just did along with nearly every far left liberal in america. You tool bags made it a race issue and your president spoke before a black audience and told them, george bush and the federal govt didn't care abt them....want me to refresh that video link. How abt nagans chocalate city comment? Want real politicizing of events, how abt the federal building being blown up and you panty wastes claiming its a right wing plot? Or, how abt the senator shot in the face and again you leftist blaming palin and the tea party. Don't give me this song and dance abt politicizing a disaster. The left invented these tactics.

Since I've been accused of politicizing this storm maybe someone should ask the president why he invoked his campaign slogan into his 2 minute fema brief. "Lean forward" wasn't exactly on people plate of advice to get thru this. See folks, the wh is going to make this abt obama. The press will glamourize obama, all while knee deep in sand and water themselves. It will be subtle, as was obamas forward remark.

Like Obama and the media are?

It's a week before a close major election. The media and the candidates are going to politicize everything. To think otherwise is naive.

To show you what a Man does in face of a disaster, Chris Christie THANKS obama for answering his calls and helping move things along. This may seem trit, but the leadership here is coming from Christie. The press has YET to connect those Dots.

gonna take umbrage with you on one point

the fault with the initial response to Katrina was not FEMA's fault or Bush's....it falls on then Governor Kathleen Blanco. she didn't allow the National Guard or any relief efforts in before the storm or even once the levees were breached. she was absolutely worthless

then, we didn't get the funds in a timely manner because of Blanco again. The feds gave out emergency funds to people, but requested that the governors of the effected states write up a plan giving an idea of the scope of damage and a ballpark estimate of how much they needed. Mississippi got theirs in almost immediately and got funds quickly while Blanco sat around with her thumb up her *** whining about the feds not being cooperative.

I saw an article titled 'Former FEMA Director Michael Brown says Obama administration reacted too quickly to Sandy,' and thought I was about to read an Onion article. But, nope, he actually said that. mellow.png

I saw an article titled 'Former FEMA Director Michael Brown says Obama administration reacted too quickly to Sandy,' and thought I was about to read an Onion article. But, nope, he actually said that.

Exactly . . . the Republicans are going to have to put a muzzle on that guy. (The Democrats should invite him to speak at their rallies!!)

Exactly this.

I live in New Jersey and just got my power back today. The governor and government did an excellent job preparing our region for the worst hurricane that has ever hit NJ/NY. It was easily the worst destruction I have ever seen in my area during my lifetime.

Just want to say that snake is wrong once again. More people today own smart phones than "dumb" phones which give us access to internet when power is out. That, and radio helped give me updates on what was going on.

Besides the flooding this wasn't a bad storm at all. It was a cat-1. I've been through cat-1's before in Florida and I could literally stand outside and watch the storm with no danger at all. The flooding was the real problem here but the storm didn't stick around long enough to cause widespread flood damage. It's concentrated in certain areas, near rivers, bays, and such. Thankfully this was no Katrina (or Andrew).

I've also been through a cat-3 (Charlie), now that ish was scary!

Do you always talk out your ***?

I lived in Florida most of my life. You live in Canada. I think I'm more qualified to talk about hurricanes thank you very much. I've been through Hurricane Andrew, Charlie, Frances, Jeanne, and more. With Hurricane Andrew (a cat-5 storm but it was about cat-2 where I was) I literally saw ducks getting blown through the air. With Hurricane Charlie (cat-3) our house was getting pelted with our neighbor's shingles and we lost our fence, 2 trees, had a neighbor lose half their roof, and were without power for days. The cat-1 storms did almost no wind damage. As for flooding, Frances and Jeanne (both cat-1's) literally parked over our area for over 2 days. Because we didn't live in a low lying area or next to water we had only short term flooding and no major damage. The flood damage up north is concentrated in certain areas near water or in low lying areas. There is not widespread damage like you would see in a cat-3+ storm like Andrew, Katrina, or Charlie.

If you want to talk blizzards, I defer to your opinions as you have more experience. If you want to talk hurricanes, I've been through more than just about everybody on the boards.

You do realize the storm hit New York not Florida who is better equipped to deal with these type of disasters right?

The main problem is flooding. Nobody is really equipped to deal with that.

But Floridians have gone through this much more time then New Yorkers right? Point is even though it wasn't as powerful as some other storms, where the storm hits determines the real degree of destruction not necessarily it's magnitude.

Besides the flooding this wasn't a bad storm at all. It was a cat-1. I've been through cat-1's before in Florida and I could literally stand outside and watch the storm with no danger at all. The flooding was the real problem here but the storm didn't stick around long enough to cause widespread flood damage. It's concentrated in certain areas, near rivers, bays, and such. Thankfully this was no Katrina (or Andrew).

I've also been through a cat-3 (Charlie), now that ish was scary!

Aside from her husband's unfortunate encounter with Mr. Boothe, Mrs. Lincoln had a pleasent evening at the theatre.

Wha?

Hurricane Andrew and Hurricane Charlie disagree with you. Those 2 storms made Sandy look like a sun shower. Andrew had gusts of over 200 mph and wiped Homestead and Florida City off the map. Charlie wiped out Punta Gorda, FL. I went down to Homestead after Andrew as part of my dad's work's relief effort and there wasn't a single house standing (with a roof) in any neighborhood that I saw. I saw Homestead Air Force Base after Andrew and the storm had literally destroyed hangers and thrown F-16 jets across the base. It looked like a nuclear bomb had gone off there. Never seen anything like it.

The only concern with a cat-1 storm is flooding in low lying areas or areas next to water, regardless of where it hits.

Add to that with the over developing along our coasts and population booms, we will continue to have Large devestation when storms of this magnitude and greater hit, which is every year. Insurance companies cannot handle these loads, were not meant too, and Now Bloomberg wants the Feds to cover all estimated $7 billion in damage in NY. Where does all this stop? Get out that Chinese credit card again. See, if the safety net were in line for National defense it would include these occurances, but our welfare state has grown so out of whack that we are broke and unable to pay for these occurances. Local municipalities are BROKE. Wonder why?

Wha?

Hurricane Andrew and Hurricane Charlie disagree with you. Those 2 storms made Sandy look like a sun shower. Andrew had gusts of over 200 mph and wiped Homestead and Florida City off the map. Charlie wiped out Punta Gorda, FL. I went down to Homestead after Andrew as part of my dad's work's relief effort and there wasn't a single house standing (with a roof) in any neighborhood that I saw. I saw Homestead Air Force Base after Andrew and the storm had literally destroyed hangers and thrown F-16 jets across the base. It looked like a nuclear bomb had gone off there. Never seen anything like it.

The only concern with a cat-1 storm is flooding in low lying areas or areas next to water, regardless of where it hits. A cat-1 storm will not cause widespread wind damage. Once a storm hits cat-3 that's when the wind starts ripping through everything. A cat-5 direct hit is like a nuclear bomb hitting you. There won't be much left standing. That's what happened with Andrew:

217297.jpg

I'm trying to understand your point. Based on experience, I guess you are asserting some kind of rationalization asserting that W and Michael Brown had a tougher job dealing with Katrina than Obama and his administration have in dealing with Sandy. For your sake, I hope I am completely wrong about that.

There is no doubt that Hurricane Andrew or Hurricane Katrina were way worse than Sandy and caused way more problems for the local, state, and federal governments.

No offense to those affected by Sandy and I know there is major flood damage in some areas but at least where I lived in Florida, cat-1 storms weren't much concern. Those are the kind of storms were you pick up beer and chips and have a hurricane party. if I lived by the coast or by a lake I would have taken cat-1 storms more seriously but in a normal house in a normal neighborhood cat-1 storms were nothing.

When a storm hits cat-3 that's when the FEAR starts.

So the answer to this question is yes?: Are you are asserting some kind of rationalization that W and Michael Brown had a tougher job dealing with Katrina than Obama and his administration have in dealing with Sandy?

I'm trying to understand your point. Based on experience, I guess you are asserting some kind of rationalization asserting that W and Michael Brown had a tougher job dealing with Katrina than Obama and his administration have in dealing with Sandy. For your sake, I hope I am completely wrong about that.

Katrina was Far worse then Sandy. I hope thats not even a debate on this board.

I find it wholly disgusting when people pass off tragedy and natural disaster as 'no big deal' just because they're not the WORST tragedy in memory.

And this on the heels of snake rejoicing in high unemployment.

We know where your values are. Try some sympathy, you sick freaks.

I find it wholly disgusting when people pass off tragedy and natural disaster as 'no big deal' just because they're not the WORST tragedy in memory.

And this on the heels of snake rejoicing in high unemployment.

We know where your values are. Try some sympathy, you sick freaks.

Ahhh, eatcorn, You Mad? Please. Show me where I've rejoiced in any of those situations. I'll wait.........Ok, tired of waiting. I just think the pressure of 5 more days is getting to you and you know, life will be OK again. Take a big gulp of Pepto Bismal(sp?), maybe get a message and relax. It'll all be over very quickly and then,, you can go back to your sedintary life at Jiffie Lube and install some super soaker windshield wipers.

There's no question of that. Hurricane Katrina was the deadliest and most destructive Atlantic hurricane in the last decade. How can you possibly even think that Sandy is of anything near the magnitude of Katrina?

Actually, it seems you are correct about that.

The Economics of Hurricane Sandy: Money and Weather

October 31, 2012 By Walter McLaughlin Leave a Comment

share_save_171_16.png

Hurricane Sandy, bearing down on the eastern seaboard – Image Credit: NASA.

Hurricane Sandy’s wide swath of damage means that the areas in its path are suffering the ‘Trick’ rather than the ‘Treat’ this Halloween. The monstrous “superstorm” unleashed its fury on Atlantic City, New Jersey, making landfall on October 29th. Although nowhere near the strength of notoriously damaging hurricanes such as Katrina (2005), Andrew (1992), Ike (2008), Wilma (2005) or Charley (2004), Sandy, nevertheless will inflict its wrath on the scale of potentially tens of billions of dollars to the northeastern United States.

Why? To quote Carl Sagan: “You have to know the past to understand the present.

Thus, to set the table, the following are the five most expensive hurricanes on record.

#5: Hurricane Charley (2004) — $8.76 billion

Charley was deemed a “small but powerful” hurricane in a National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration 2006 report. The damage inflicted by Charley reached $8.76 billion, the fifth-most expensive hurricane on record.

#4: Hurricane Wilma (2005) — $11.68 billion

Unlike Charley, Wilma was both massive andpowerful, striking Cozumel, Mexico on October 21, 2005 after having seen maximum winds reach 185 miles per hour. Counting damage to Cancun, Cozumel and southern Florida, the storm’s economic impact has been estimated at $11.68 billion.

Hurricane Ike was financially devastating – Image credit: NOAA.

#3: Hurricane Ike (2008) — $13.05 billion

Originating as a tropical disturbance off the west coast of Africa in late August, 2008, Ike strengthened quickly into a tropical storm the next day, and reached hurricane status by September 3rd. Ike’s overall economic impact was the third highest on record at $13.05 billion.

#2: Hurricane Andrew (1992) — $22.9 billion

Hurricane Andrew – Image credit: NOAA.

Andrew almost wasn’t a history-making storm, as it encountered wind shear four days before smashing into Florida as a Category 4 hurricane, nearly dissipating. Andrew was the third-most intense hurricane ever to hit the United States – its damages have been estimated at $22.9 billion.

#1: Hurricane Katrina (2005) — $46.6 billion

Literally the mother of all storms, we are all painfully familiar with the cataclysmic damages Katrina caused as it lashed the city of New Orleans with a near bulls-eye strike on August 28, 2005. Katrina’s large size, 20-30 foot storm surge and proximity to the below-sea level New Orleans caused the greatest amount of economic damage by a natural disaster in U.S. history: $46.6 billion.

Hurricane Sandy: Potential Costs

Sandy made landfall as a Category 1 hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 90 miles per hour. Despite its relative lack of punch as compared to the other storms listed above, it became a “superstorm” by combining with a cold front and thus became the largest Atlantic storm on record, stretching approximately 1,100 miles across. Its size, coupled with it striking in a densely-populated area as well as propelling a massive storm surge, created the potential for near-record damages.

Mark Zandi, the chief economist of Moody’s Analytics, has predicted that Sandy will exceed the $12-$16 billion incurred by Hurricane Irene in August, 2011. Equcat, a company specializing in helping companies manage business risk due to catastrophic events, has estimated somewhere between $10-$20 billion in overall damages. Both estimates would put Sandy amongst the top-five most expensive hurricanes in history. Neither compare to the prediction made by Peter Morici, an economics professor at the University of Maryland’s Smith School of Business. His estimate of the total monetary impact of Sandy is between $35-$45 billion, which would place it just outside the total recorded by Katrina.