Mike Smith In Good Company

pzummo

Atlanta coach Mike Smith probably doesn’t get the credit he deserves and probably won’t until he wins his first postseason game.

But give Smith credit for one thing -- the man has shown he can win regular-season games at a historically fast pace. Sunday’s victory over Philadelphia was the 50th win of Smith’s career. It came in his 71st game.

Since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, only George Seifert (62 games) and Chuck Knox (65 games) have gotten to 50 wins faster than Smith.

The next three guys on the list are Joe Gibbs (72 games), Bill Cowher (73 games) and Mike Ditka (73 games).

Smith also established a new record for most wins by an Atlanta coach. The previous franchise record was 49 wins by Dan Reeves, who went 49-59-1 from 1997 through 2003.

Any way you look at it, Smith is in good company.

In Falcons history, Mike Smith is in no company.

Agreed, there's no comparison in our franchise coaching history. But I was amazed at that list. Only 2 head coaches in the NFL's history reached 50 wins faster than Smith. Incredible considering he inherited a 4-12 team with an abysmal history.

Agreed, there's no comparison in our franchise coaching history. But I was amazed at that list. Only 2 head coaches in the NFL's history reached 50 wins faster than Smith. Incredible considering he inherited a 4-12 team with an abysmal history.

I've got some even more amazing stats regarding Mike Smith, but I am saving them for my own thread in honor of him, which I am going to do when I drive home from work in a minute.