Steve Spurrier's Classless Comments On Rival Clemson Stain Tribute To Marcus Lattimore.

SacFalcFan

All you guys over react to everything SPurrier says or does. Nothing wrong with taking pot shots at Clemson unless someone has died. Dabo took and has taken his shots, and Steve fires back whenever the occasion arises. There was no eulogy for Marcus yesterday, it was a celebration and affirmation that Marcus intends to attack this thing with his typical "all in" attitude. Marcus will sit next year and play in 2014 is my guess. But there's never a bad time to fire back at Dabo ever since HE initiated the war of words with Carolina.

Can't y'all find something else to worry about other than Spurrier and what he says or does?

All you guys over react to everything SPurrier says or does. Nothing wrong with taking pot shots at Clemson unless someone has died. Dabo took and has taken his shots, and Steve fires back whenever the occasion arises. There was no eulogy for Marcus yesterday, it was a celebration and affirmation that Marcus intends to attack this thing with his typical "all in" attitude. Marcus will sit next year and play in 2014 is my guess. But there's never a bad time to fire back at Dabo ever since HE initiated the war of words with Carolina.

Can't y'all find something else to worry about other than Spurrier and what he says or does?

We would if you could keep Spurriers mouth shut. Blame him not us.

It's not often that you see a coach of an opposing team speak like that about a player. Dabo's comments were thoughtful and seemed very sincere. But Spurrier can just never resist the urge to take shots, even when completely unnecessary or unwarranted. He's just unable to shut it off...ever... the comment above about him taking cheap shots at his wife is probably apt. Xnex... no one's saying he can't or shouldn't do it - it just seems kind of pointless, don't you think?

We would if you could keep Spurriers mouth shut. Blame him not us.

yep.. if spurrier would shut his mouth we wouldn't be talking about his comments.. dan wetzel is a respected guy as well and it is a very well written article..

There's nothing to blame Spurrier for. The day wasn't set up as a day of mourning, it was a celebration of Marcus' birthday and a way to show him how much he was loved and appreciated by the fans of the team. So it's not like Spurrier walked into a funeral and started doing a stand up routine or started insulting the recently deceased. Everyone was in a celebratory mood as Marcus had sent word through the team chaplin to thank the crowd and to tell them that he "would be back" playing for the Gamecocks.

Wetzel is respected by those who agree with him. Had he written an article thatwas in any way dismissive of UGA, or UF, or UT, or 'Bama that group of fans would be raking him over the coals. The most important line in the entire article is

Swinney may indeed talk garbage about South Carolina on the recruiting trail, which is seemingly what Spurrier is referencing. I don't know, but he certainly wouldn't be the first recruiter to try.

With particular emphasis on the part I bolded. Dabo created the bad blood between those two and brought real hate in his own direction with his comments about the University. So to hear Spurrier go at him when he got another chance isn't suprising and isn't unfair.

Like I said, had the mood of the event had been somber, and reflective I agree that Spurrier shouldn't have brought up the rivalry. But with it being more of a celebration he was within the realm of accepted behavior to bring up Dabo in a less than flattering way.

I like it. The more the schools don't like each other the more interesting the series is to me. Besides everyone knows spurrier is not a big enough person to not take the opportunity to take shots at someone. As someone who doesn't care for the guy, it's nice to get reminders of why I don't like him.

Dan Wetzel is respected by most because he says it like it is and like in the article he has very good points to bring up supporting his view. IMO there is always a time and a place for stuff and this wasn't it. I can't stand dabo myself, but how dabo responded with it being "embarrassing" has been echo'd by many nationally. we just won't agree on this at all man.. smile.png regarding lattimore i hope he can come back to be 100%.. he is a heck of a young man and i hope him the very best.

There's nothing to blame Spurrier for. The day wasn't set up as a day of mourning, it was a celebration of Marcus' birthday and a way to show him how much he was loved and appreciated by the fans of the team. So it's not like Spurrier walked into a funeral and started doing a stand up routine or started insulting the recently deceased. Everyone was in a celebratory mood as Marcus had sent word through the team chaplin to thank the crowd and to tell them that he "would be back" playing for the Gamecocks.

Wetzel is respected by those who agree with him. Had he written an article thatwas in any way dismissive of UGA, or UF, or UT, or 'Bama that group of fans would be raking him over the coals. The most important line in the entire article is

Swinney may indeed talk garbage about South Carolina on the recruiting trail, which is seemingly what Spurrier is referencing. I don't know, but he certainly wouldn't be the first recruiter to try.

With particular emphasis on the part I bolded. Dabo created the bad blood between those two and brought real hate in his own direction with his comments about the University. So to hear Spurrier go at him when he got another chance isn't suprising and isn't unfair.

Like I said, had the mood of the event had been somber, and reflective I agree that Spurrier shouldn't have brought up the rivalry. But with it being more of a celebration he was within the realm of accepted behavior to bring up Dabo in a less than flattering way.

With all due respect to you most folks who have an opinion think Spurrier is a jerk, but I would expect his own fanbase to disagree. Look, even if we assume there is nothing wrong with what he said, you would think he knows better than to say it in front of the media. We would be discussing his lack of common sense if not for his lack of a mouth filter.

Dan Wetzel is respected by most because he says it like it is and like in the article he has very good points to bring up supporting his view. IMO there is always a time and a place for stuff and this wasn't it. I can't stand dabo myself, but how dabo responded with it being "embarrassing" has been echo'd by many nationally. we just won't agree on this at all man.. smile.png regarding lattimore i hope he can come back to be 100%.. he is a heck of a young man and i hope him the very best.

Well again I say that the respect angle (for Wetzel) is very subjective depending on who he is writing about and which program he happens to be talking about at the time. Also the recent flare up between Spurrier and Ron Morris, the reporter for The State could be giving Wetzel more of an axe to grind over these comments than he might have otherwise. We all know that many people who work in the media circles will often come to the defense of their brethren at any opportunity once conflict occurs.

But even if Wetzel is speaking honestly about his feelings in this situation that doesn't make him correct in his opinion. The event really turned into a "pseudo pep rally" and coach Spurrier probably found himself caught up in the emotion and allowed his true feelings to come out unfiltered when taking the high road might have been a better choice. But I still do not believe that it is a cut and dry case of right and wrong in this situation.

With all due respect to you most folks who have an opinion think Spurrier is a jerk, but I would expect his own fanbase to disagree. Look, even if we assume there is nothing wrong with what he said, you would think he knows better than to say it in front of the media. We would be discussing his lack of common sense if not for his lack of a mouth filter.

I don't know if most people think he is a jerk or if it is a small but very passionate group of folks who think that way. I know most people believe Spurrier just speaks his mind in an unfiltered and unvarnished way at all times. Some people hate that and some do not. I know that he can get really aggressive with some of his barbs and most certainly has at times crossed the line but I just do not think this is one of those cases, I personally do not think there will ever be another time when Spurrier tries to behave as if everything between himself and Dabo is ok. He maintained that type of relationship with Swinney for several years, but when Dabo "went nuclear" on The University of South Carolina it put a chill on things and most likely will ensure a state of deep freeze for as long as Spurrier walks the sidelines for us.

Spurrier NEVER FORGETS; that's why I think he takes a nearly perverse pleasure in beating UGA whenever he can. And I believe Dabo has ensured Spurrier will always feel the same way about Clemson (or their head coach) for as long as he's coaching football.

I'm more worried about how bad my Hogs are gonna get beat by y'all next Saturday.

Edited by ChildsPlease85

Just Spurrier being Spurrier.

Pretty much. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing outrageous.

I really dislike Spurrier, but I suppose that being a Georgia guy has always put me on the opposing side of his success and comments. I don't think Spurrier would know class if it punched him in the face. But that's fine. Not everyone in the world is classy, let alone in the world of football and its rivalries. If everyone in football was just nice and complimentary, it would be pretty lame imo.

Pretty much. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing outrageous.

I really dislike Spurrier, but I suppose that being a Georgia guy has always put me on the opposing side of his success and comments. I don't think Spurrier would know class if it punched him in the face. But that's fine. Not everyone in the world is classy, let alone in the world of football and its rivalries. If everyone in football was just nice and complimentary, it would be pretty lame imo.

Yeah his relationship with UGA seems to be one of mutual disdain of the highest order eventhough I do think he likes and respects certain individuals within the UGA program, particularly coach RIcht.

Yeah his relationship with UGA seems to be one of mutual disdain of the highest order eventhough I do think he likes and respects certain individuals within the UGA program, particularly coach RIcht.

You know what, it might be "mutual" but it isn't the same. Spurrier is the one that goes on the offensive. I don't blame Swinney for being upset; you try to extend an olive branch and the other person keeps hitting your hand away.... Now I know it's not just Georgia and Clemson because he did it to FSU and Tennessee as well. I think it's Spurrier being Spurrier. So it's more than a bit disingenuous for you to imply that any personal disdain involving Spurrier and UGA originated at UGA especially with the trail of disdain he has sown to Tallahassee, Knoxville and Clemson.

You know what, it might be "mutual" but it isn't the same. Spurrier is the one that goes on the offensive. I don't blame Swinney for being upset; you try to extend an olive branch and the other person keeps hitting your hand away.... Now I know it's not just Georgia and Clemson because he did it to FSU and Tennessee as well. I think it's Spurrier being Spurrier. So it's more than a bit disingenuous for you to imply that any personal disdain involving Spurrier and UGA originated at UGA especially with the trail of disdain he has sown to Tallahassee, Knoxville and Clemson.

Well I think he specifically likes to cause UGA headaches more than any other team he faces consistently. Maybe that is a better way of saying it. WIth Spurrier it seems like his scale of disdain goes something like this.

1) UGA

2) Everyone else.

In previous seasons he actually seemed to be trying to have a good relationship with Dabo, but Dabo's tirade(sp) last season looks to have caused a very serious riff between the two coachs and programs.

This is so much ado about nothing.

The people in attendance there knew that he was joking around and laughed while he was saying it and he followed it by saying how much he appreciated what Swinney had to say. Even Dabo took it in stride and knew that Spurrier was getting around.

What did you guys want, Undertaker's theme music playing in the background while Spurrier stood up there in a black parlor suit reading Lattimore's eulogy?

He was having some light-hearted fun at a tribute to one of his players and the crowd loved it.

It always amazes me when people outside of the situation get more offended than the people who are involved. This is not an issue for South Carolina or Clemson AT ALL, and this writer is ridiculously sensationalizing the whole thing.