The Call And Design Of This Play Says That The Offense Means Business!

Theyhateme : )

LOL...I've never seen the Falcons run it.

Maybe they haven't. I think they probably have, and it just didn't work. Calling it on 3rd down and so close to the end zone was the brilliant part. I don't think that play is going to work on 1st down most times, which is when most teams call it.

one of my favorite calls this season. The timing of it was brilliant, just like the screen pass to Turner against the Panthers. I'm glad that Ryan & Koetter is starting to see the value of the other guys on the team. when you gotta worry about guys like Snelling, Drew Davis, Quizz, even Tommy Gallarda had a TD catch (even though it was called back) with the main weapons we have. forget about it!

I think that play would have worked in several situations, due to how much teams seem to fear Julio, but would only work against certain coverages. But any coverage without an extremely high safety, you'd likely have them bite on the Julio deal.

They did smart plays with Julio all game. Fake it to him and get Davis wide open. Fake it to Julio on a quick sweep and open up an underneath shovel pass. I was very impressed with the simple misdirection used to open up plays for other guys.

Maybe they haven't. I think they probably have, and it just didn't work. Calling it on 3rd down and so close to the end zone was the brilliant part. I don't think that play is going to work on 1st down most times, which is when most teams call it.

I don't know about it being this exact play, but I do remember something similar with HD wide open in the end zone and matt overthrowing him

We need to run the score up and shove it down other team's throats. We get way too passive when we get a lead. That could have easily been a 4-5 TD game for Matt Ryan.

I get what you're saying but did you forget how the weather turned in the 2nd half?

Philly is still a fast team and a good defense.

In that situation and with that weather I have no problem with being conservative and trying to run the ball and eat clock.

The LAST thing you want to do is get cute with them and **** around.

Edited by Sun Tzu 7

I can't get the "We should have scored more crowd".

The Eagles beat the Ravens and Giants in Philly, and hadn't given up more than 24 points to any team all year...in any kind of weather.

The Falcons equalled that in the first half in very bad conditions. That got worse in the second half.

The Falcons played that just right. That isn't an easy field to march up and down the field on, even if the Falcons made it look so for 6 possessions.

And although we all hate the style, that is who Coach Smith is, 1000%. If he can, he plays for a lead and then plays to keep it. I would like to see Belicheck style score-running, but that will never happen. Hard to argue with the results from Coach Smith, though. We think of it as "not dominating like we should," or "making it closer than it should have been," but I am pretty sure he doesn't care about style points.

IMO the deep ball to Julio was brilliant.

on 2nd and 14 and huge winds the last thing Nate Allen is expecting is that Asomugha is going to get beat on a streak route by Julio and then Ryan is going to lob up a ball into 25 mph swirling winds.

So what did Koetter and Ryan do? They called up a play where they had Roddy run a deep in route near the first down, the Eagles in a cover 1 man to man look only had 1 deep safety and Nate Allen bit up on Roddy's in route. Julio had separation from Asomugha (probably pushed off, couldn't see as coaches wasn't available for that play on game rewind.) Due to the Cover 1 look Julio was wide open and Asomugha had no safety help because Nate Allen bit on Roddy's route. Matt then put a perfect pass on Julio for the TD

IMO the deep ball to Julio was brilliant.

on 2nd and 14 and huge winds the last thing Nate Allen is expecting is that Asomugha is going to get beat on a streak route by Julio and then Ryan is going to lob up a ball into 25 mph swirling winds.

So what did Koetter and Ryan do? They called up a play where they had Roddy run a deep in route near the first down, the Eagles in a cover 1 man to man look only had 1 deep safety and Nate Allen bit up on Roddy's in route. Julio had separation from Asomugha (probably pushed off, couldn't see as coaches wasn't available for that play on game rewind.) Due to the Cover 1 look Julio was wide open and Asomugha had no safety help because Nate Allen bit on Roddy's route. Matt then put a perfect pass on Julio for the TD

Yeah...JJ went right by him. That play looked like the days of Bartkowski to Jenkins, Wallace, Francis or Johnson. LOLOL

LOL...I've never seen the Falcons run it.

They've run it. It just always went to roddy or Julio so on film Andy was CERTAIN in that situation it's going to Julio. Everybody bites on Julio, wide open Drew. Been setting that up all season. I knew new wrinkles would come out after the bye.

I wasn't referring to just the eagles games. I'm happy with the win. Especially considering it was in Philly. I just don't like the conservative play when we go up by two tds. I agree with the weather tho it got bad.

Yeah one thing that annoys me is how we take off the pedal to the metal when we have a lead like that. Other teams like the Patriots step on your throat and keep stomping on you, giving the other team a hopeless feeling but we go real conservative (prevent defense & running the ball).