With The Weather Catastrophie - Does This Help Either Candidate Talk Of Moving Election

Guest Deisel

There's been alot of talk abt how this weather will effect the upcoming election. I've also heard rumors that dems are talking abt canceling election Tuesday and pushing it back a spell. Would that be helpful?

No election has been cancelled in over 100 years. Not during the World Wars and not during Grave times. It would be unprecedented to do so now. So, will certain party elites get together and try and change Tuesdays inevitable outcome?

Edited by Deisel

I would be very surprised they tried to move the date back. If anything I think this storm helps Obama. All Romney can do right now is basically stay out of the way. Obama can lead from the front and look very presidential while doing so. Critics cannot, or should not be able to criticize or politicize these actions because this is exactly what a president is expected to do during a crisis.

There's been alot of talk abt how this weather will effect the upcoming election. I've also heard rumors that dems are talking abt canceling election Tuesday and pushing it back a spell. Would that be helpful?

No election has been cancelled in over 100 years. Not during the World Wars and not during Grave times. It would be unprecedented to do so now. So, will certain party elites get together and try and change Tuesdays inevitable outcome?

There was not the damage to the nation's infrastructure like there will be this coming Tuesday during those times. This is a unique situation that may warrant moving it for the first time.

I would be very surprised they tried to move the date back. If anything I think this storm helps Obama. All Romney can do right now is basically stay out of the way. Obama can lead from the front and look very presidential while doing so. Critics cannot, or should not be able to criticize or politicize these actions because this is exactly what a president is expected to do during a crisis.

Thank you for giving a rational opinion.

That's my sense, too, although there is the danger of a botched recover like Katrina. The storm is much bigger and apparently more disruptive than I thought it would be last week. I can't recall in recent history an instance of this kind of event occurring right before the election. It should be interesting.

Also, what could have the biggest impact related to the storm are Romney's comments during the primary about cutting disaster relief funding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhXyJeKaj8

Oh yea, the attention span of most Americans is 10 seconds and somehow Thats gonna be recycled? No, imo, what the major implication of this storm is SHOW UP. Republicans are more hyped up and will walk to the polls. Dems are not nearly as high as 08 and will most likely not make the extra push to get to the polls. BTW- Acworth, if your theory is true, is not cutting $1 trillion from the military and gutting our forces, ships, etc. not actually create a much worse enviro for disaster recovery?

Oh yea, the attention span of most Americans is 10 seconds and somehow Thats gonna be recycled? No, imo, what the major implication of this storm is SHOW UP. Republicans are more hyped up and will walk to the polls. Dems are not nearly as high as 08 and will most likely not make the extra push to get to the polls. BTW- Acworth, if your theory is true, is not cutting $1 trillion from the military and gutting our forces, ships, etc. not actually create a much worse enviro for disaster recovery?

The statements could show up in ads and also media coverage just before the election. I'm not saying that it will have a big impact, only that any impact by the storm is likely to occur because of a strong/weak response by the federal government combined with Romney's statements about cutting FEMA and disaster aid. The storm is shaping up to be a major media event, so the chances of it impacting the race are growing. We still don't know how it's going to play out and my comments are only hypotheticals about what could happen.

The statements could show up in ads and also media coverage just before the election. I'm not saying that it will have a big impact, only that any impact by the storm is likely to occur because of a strong/weak response by the federal government combined with Romney's statements about cutting FEMA and disaster aid. The storm is shaping up to be a major media event, so the chances of it impacting the race are growing. We still don't know how it's going to play out and my comments are only hypotheticals about what could happen.

The problem with your thought is the MEDIA is part of the devestation. Their cheerleading effort for the President is gonna take a back seat, as will their ability to talk abt anything else, other then this devestation. Too much praise for Obama will be off putting. We all know that compared to the media attention after Katrina, Obama and FEMA will be praised. I'd be praising Chris Christie 1st and foremost. Obama wants to be a leader, take notes there. New ads are gonna be tough with the impact. Whats out there is likely to be it. As though people don't already know the 2 contestants. Minds are already made up.

They'd like to push it back another 4 years. laugh.png

But seriously, that won't happen on the national level. It might happen in local precincts if an area is devisted but the national election will happen on Tuesday as planned. The prez doesn't have power to move the national election back (at least not yet).

Also note that Romney could still get 270+ electoral votes even if New York, New Jersey, etc... delayed their election (which is still unlikely). Very unlikely that Obama could get to 270+ without New York, etc...

This president has shown he has disdain for current laws on the books. He has also shown he will bypass the will of the people and do what ever he wants. I am not sure he will not try.

Gov Christie has already thanked Obama for the relief. Put Christie thanking Obama/FEMA and Romney attacking FEmA could very much hurt Romney. Of course his camp is already denying that they would make cuts to FEMA.

say what you want for him, but it is obvious that his duties as governor are more important to him than playing politics

From a practical standpoint, how much could it effect the election? Just about every state effected is solidly for Obama. I dont see it suppressing turnout enough to change the electoral count. So why postpone?

Plus I'm sure that somewhere in history there have been blizzards on election day that have had a much bigger effect than this.

From a practical standpoint, how much could it effect the election? Just about every state effected is solidly for Obama. I dont see it suppressing turnout enough to change the electoral count. So why postpone?

Plus I'm sure that somewhere in history there have been blizzards on election day that have had a much bigger effect than this.

where are you getting your info from, 2008?

You've been lied to. Obama is on track to lose decisively. Hence there would be plenty of motive to push the election back if he could.

Wait till all the voter fraud cases come up. They will point to the early Polls and say, SEE, they cheated, the polls said Obama was UP. Count on it.