How Good Has Matt Ryan Been?

Falconsfan567

The only QB in the NFL with a higher completion percentage than Ryan is Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers is at 69.0% and Ryan is 2nd at 68.7%.

Also usually completions and attempts go hand and hand. Usually if your pretty high up on the completions list it's because you're pretty high up on the attempts list. But get this while Ryan is 7th in pass completions he's only 13th in pass attempts. That's a huge difference. Andrew Luck has the 7th most pass attempts in the NFL at 288. Ryan has 265 attempts. So that's a 23 pass attempt difference from 7th to 13th. That's pretty much a whole game worth of passes for most QBs.

Ryan has more completions on less attempts than Ben Roethlisberger, Brandon Weeden, Carson Palmer, Andrew Luck, Michael Vick and Mark Sanchez.

Ryan has the 3rd highest passer rating at 103.0. Peyton is 1st at 109.0 and Rodgers is 107.9. Speaking of Peyton he has thrown just 4 interceptions this season, 3 in that first half against the Falcons. Ryan is tied with Peyton for the 3rd most TD passes in the NFL behind Rodgers 21 and Brees 20.

Ryan is averaging 288 yards per game with is tied with Eli Manning for 6th in the NFL.

Ryan is averaging 7.62 yards per attempt which is 6th best in the NFL.

The only QB in the NFL with a higher completion percentage than Ryan is Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers is at 69.0% and Ryan is 2nd at 68.7%.

Also usually completions and attempts go hand and hand. Usually if your pretty high up on the completions list it's because you're pretty high up on the attempts list. But get this while Ryan is 7th in pass completions he's only 13th in pass attempts. That's a huge difference. Andrew Luck has the 7th most pass attempts in the NFL at 288. Ryan has 265 attempts. So that's a 23 pass attempt difference from 7th to 13th. That's pretty much a whole game worth of passes for most QBs.

Ryan has more completions on less attempts than Ben Roethlisberger, Brandon Weeden, Carson Palmer, Andrew Luck, Michael Vick and Mark Sanchez.

Ryan has the 3rd highest passer rating at 103.0. Peyton is 1st at 109.0 and Rodgers is 107.9. Speaking of Peyton he has thrown just 4 interceptions this season, 3 in that first half against the Falcons. Ryan is tied with Peyton for the 3rd most TD passes in the NFL behind Rodgers 21 and Brees 20.

Ryan is averaging 288 yards per game with is tied with Eli Manning for 6th in the NFL.

Good post.

Guest Negatorris

We all know Ryan was a good QB, but this year he has just been plain great. There was arguments about was he a top 10 QB, but right now he's top 5 and there's no doubt about it. I still don't care about him winning MVP this year, though it would be nice. I just want him to win the only MVP that matters. Superbowl. And he definitely has a shot.

We all know Ryan was a good QB, but this year he has just been plain great. There was arguments about was he a top 10 QB, but right now he's top 5 and there's no doubt about it. I still don't care about him winning MVP this year, though it would be nice. I just want him to win the only MVP that matters. Superbowl. And he definitely has a shot.

He's definitely been top 5. No ands, ifs or buts about it. If anyone says any different than they're showing their true colors.

MATT RYAN HAS BEEN GOOD. HE HAS BEEN REAL GOOD.

MATT HAS STOOD OUT NOT ONLY AS A QB, BUT ALSO AS

A LEADER. THE TEAM HAS TAKEN ON HIS MENTALITY. HE

NEVER QUITS, NOW THEY NEVER QUIT. DURING A GAME, IF

MATT BECOMES ANGRY .... THE WHOLE TEAM BECOMES

ANGRY. AND WHEN THE WHOLE TEAM BECOMES ANGRY,

BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO OUR OPPONENTS.

Through 7 weeks, Matt has started one of the best seasons in this franchise's history. I know that's saying a lot, but it goes further than stats. The back-to-back-to-back game winning drives, + the undefeated start, + the 103 QB rating, + the switch from white under-sleeves to black under-sleeves. I don't want to jinx it, but it's been a dream come true so far.

Right now Ryan is posting by far the best season any QB as ever had in a Falcons uniform. It's not even close. Bartkowski's TD record is 31 and Ryan is going to shatter that. Ryan is also going to shatter his passing yards record that he set just last season. He's also on pace to shatter his own pass completions record. He's on pace to shatter his pass attempts record.

The completion percentage record is a tough one to figure out. You have a lot of guys on the list that just attempted 1 or 2 passes in a season and therefore sit at 100%. Then you have another guy, Mike Moroski who was 10/13 (76.9%) in 1982. Then there's another guy, Kim McQuilken, who was 5/7 (71.4%) in 1977. Wade Wilson started 3 games for the Falcons in 1992 and posted a completion percentage of 68.1%. I guess the real record would belong to Steve Bartkowski, who posted a 67.3% mark in 11 starts in 1984.

Passer rating is the same way as completion percentage. In 1969, Bob Berry, in 7 starts posted a rating of 106.5. So half the season. Is that the record? Or does the record belong to Chris Chandler (14 starts) who posted a 100.9 in 1998?

Rodgers is leading the league in TD passes, but he's played one more game than Brees, Peyton, and Ryan. GB hasn't had their bye week yet.

Good post.

He's 7 and 0 good. MVP conversation good. His awareness and aggressiveness is getting better and his foot speed has improved. I'm very impressed with him. Even when he implodes like he did in the Oakland game, he still leads us down the field for the win.

But to answer your question from my point of view 567, he has been da*n good. I haven't had anything to complain about thru seven games. He is playing with fire about him. He appears to be taking that next step that many felt he could and that I was unsure of.

There were guys like you and Gritz who just had a question if Ryan could raise his game to the next level. But you guys still supported him and wanted him to do well and be wrong about him. Glad to see that you're coming around.

It's amazing how little to no credit we get for this. When anybody in the media mentions the three pick game they are like "well, you could see that Payton was rusty" I'm like, really?? So he was only rusty during our game, he wasn't rusty the game before, or the games after, just week 2 of the season. Geez we must be the luckiest team in the nfl to get Payton during his one rusty game of the season lol.

It's amazing how little to no credit we get for this. When anybody in the media mentions the three pick game they are like "well, you could see that Payton was rusty" I'm like, really?? So he was only rusty during our game, he wasn't rusty the game before, or the games after, just week 2 of the season. Geez we must be the luckiest team in the nfl to get Payton during his one rusty game of the season lol.

get over it man . . . good grief

Through 7 weeks, Matt has started one of the best seasons in this franchise's history. I know that's saying a lot, but it goes further than stats. The back-to-back-to-back game winning drives, + the undefeated start, + the 103 QB rating, + the switch from white under-sleeves to black under-sleeves. I don't want to jinx it, but it's been a dream come true so far.

Undoubtedly, this is the best improvement to his game and the reason for all of the success. And, quite frankly, it's time someone mentioned it.