Difference Between 2012 Falcons And 2008-2011 Falcons

vel

Attitude.

It's even evident amongst the fans (some at least). In 2010, when we went 13-3, this team squeaked by and didn't really believe they were the better team when they took the field against equal or better teams. You could see it in how they played and gameplanned and the fans felt the same way. The playoff game only confirmed it. It carried over into 2011. The focus was to not beat yourself instead of beat the other guys.

Now, this team feels they can beat whoever lines up across from them, will talk trash and let them know they will beat them, and will back it up. They are a very confident bunch. They don't care who you are, what your record is, what your history is, they know they are the better team. The fans believe this as well. The 7-0 record helps, but the fans feed off what the players give off.

Matt Ryan believes he is a top 5 QB in this league, the offense believe they can score on any defense, the defense believe they can stop anybody and the coaches fully believe in every player, even the depth guys. These are things we've never had. Matt was treated like a rookie or lesser QB that needed to rely on the running game prior to this year. The offense relied on execution instead of ability. The defense was purely "hope for the best". We relied only on the name players that earned respect and we were comfortable with. Shut down Roddy, Julio and Tony and the offense stalls. Attack the nickel on defense.

Now, guys like Quizz, Davis, Snelling, McClain and Owens show up when we need them because the coaches believe in them to make the play. I said it plenty of times around here that that matters, but was scoffed by those who hadn't experienced such a thing. Coaching changes, as we are seeing first hand, can have a major impact on the same players. Yes, the yards may not be better than they have been at their best points in prior years, but this team is easily the best team in the Smitty era with very few weaknesses with the same players essentially.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Attitude.

It's even evident amongst the fans (some at least). In 2010, when we went 13-3, this team squeaked by and didn't really believe they were the better team when they took the field against equal or better teams.

You know, I'm pretty sure that's not how you felt about them back in 2010, when they were beating the Saints, and the Ravens, and the Packers.

Guess a bad playoff game will stain a team forever.

I hope it doesn't happen to the 2012 Falcons.

You know, I'm pretty sure that's not how you felt about them back in 2010, when they were beating the Saints, and the Ravens, and the Packers.

If they played the Saints and Packers how they played the Ravens, I would have. But that was when I jumped ship on MM and BVG. They were not right for our personnel, scheme or attitude-wise. Halfway through that season I said we were playing to stop the other team from stopping us, not to win. That led to an uptight, scared, timid team. Not an elite team.

I don't see 2010 happening again because of the change in coaches and attitude. The defense isn't scared of anybody. Ask Peyton. They used to line up against the better QBs and would just wait for a raping to happen. The offense would come out against better defenses and let them dictate and get shut down. Not anymore.

The Falcons got crushed in the playoffs because the defense missed a ton of clean shots at Rodgers. Also Ryan's two awful picks didn't help. And I know you know this, it wasn't BVG. Players gotta make plays.

Not speaking solely on the playoffs. Only said it confirmed everything from during the year.

Not speaking solely on the playoffs. Only said it confirmed everything from during the year.

Hey man, I hope these coordinators and the growth of these players and the addition of Julio and Asante put the Falcons over the top.

But I don't agree that the Falcons didn't believe in themselves in 2010. I think Aaron Rodgers played the game of his life (and he is incredible anyway), and Matt Ryan didn't. Really as simple as that for me.

Hopefully this is the year that Ryan does play the games of his lives in the playoffs.

the only difference is me lol. I'm not as nervous anymore. when we play good we win, when we play bad we win. if we were down 34-10 in the 4th quarter with 5 minutes left to play, I'ma just automatically assume that somebody's gonna get a pick 6, the defense will get a strip sack and recover. another TD pass. the D forces a three & out. another quick strike TD then we'll recover an onside kick and throw a quick TD bomb. and if that were to happen, it'll probably happen just that way

The #1 differance this year is that Mike Smith is the Head Coach Only.

He is not baby sitting BVG and not having to waste time arguing with Mularkey.

Koetter is doing a great job at OC

Nolan is superb at DC

Smitty is coming into his own as a HC as the result.

We will not see Smitty's full potential for a couple more years

as he hones his craft as a HC.

Considering we are 7-0,, that is some down right skeery stuff.

The #1 differance this year is that Mike Smith is the Head Coach Only.

He is not baby sitting BVG and not having to waste time arguing with Mularkey.

Koetter is doing a great job at OC

Nolan is superb at DC

Smitty is coming into his own as a HC as the result.

We will not see Smitty's full potential for a couple more years

as he hones his craft as a HC.

Considering we are 7-0,, that is some down right skeery stuff.

3rd fastest coach to 50 wins after Siefert and Chuck Noll, and Siefert walked into the most ideal situation ever.

3rd fastest coach to 50 wins after Siefert and Chuck Noll, and Siefert walked into the most ideal situation ever.

Chuck Noll didn't get to 50 wins faster. He was 12-30 in his first 3 seasons.

Vince Lombardi or John Madden might have gotten to 50 faster though.

Madden and Lombardi both got their a little faster. George Allen too.

Pretty good company to be in though. The three coaches with the best win percentage in modern NFL times. (Smith is 4th)

It took Smitty 71 games to get 50. Siefert needed 61 and Knox needed 65. You sure Madden, Lombardi, and Allen took less? Going to check...

ETA- just spent about 20 minutes adding numbers off of charts in my head and then realized I wasn't including playoff wins. Ugh, never mind. I will concede. But I will still maintain that Siefert stepped into the easiest situation ever. I could have gotten 50 wins with that team. And I bet Madden and Lombardi never had to fill the void left by a QB going to prison the year before.

Edited by NOVAFalconFan

I think the 13-3 team was much more suspect than this team. I was not convinced by that team and we seemed extremely overrated because for one, our defense couldn't really stop anybody, and our offense was hamstrung by mullarky ball. We played not to lose and we had way too many close games, and by the time we got to the playoffs our defense was playing its worst and boom, we get smacked in the face.

BVG was just the wrong coach for that defense, and mularky as we have seen is an overrated OC.

I think the difference is that this team is showing some real road warrior mentality. When they step on the field...its like " we are going to beat you and there is nothing you or your fans can do about it". 3 out of 4 road games they have won by 10+ points. I dont care who you play...that does not happen unless you have a rock solid team.

COACHING!

Especially on Defense. Nolan knows how to use the talent we have to its' potential. We do need to shore up against the run but the passing "D" is looking pretty decent.

Offensive line did a great job vs Philly but has been occasionally suspect. They have a formidable task against the Cowpokes Sunday. Matty Ice has a few INTs but has been 'Ice Cold' in putting us in positions to win in the waining minutes. Run game needs some attention but should be ok.

Special Teams is looking okay. Matt Bryant is dead on right now and has shown he can nail it anytime when called upon.

I think the 13-3 team was much more suspect than this team. I was not convinced by that team and we seemed extremely overrated because for one, our defense couldn't really stop anybody, and our offense was hamstrung by mullarky ball. We played not to lose and we had way too many close games, and by the time we got to the playoffs our defense was playing its worst and boom, we get smacked in the face.

BVG was just the wrong coach for that defense, and mularky as we have seen is an overrated OC.

The Falcons played a brutal schedule, but they were ranked higher in total defense than the current Falcons, and they were ranked higher in points allowed to.

Truth!

In 2010, many here were saying how it was such a special season and probably the best season since our SB run in 1998; how they just felt something special in the air. In fact, several threads like this were created. . . talking about a change in attitude, etc.

Anyone drawing parallels between this team and the 2010 team and doesn't believe the attitude around this team have changed is kidding themselves. The crazy thing is our personnel is almost exactly the same, but better individual efforts out of Ryan, Decoud, Spoon...etc have this team playing at another level. I don't want to hear about stats, because this team is not about stats...it's about wins.