Sam Baker For Pro Bowl?

autigerfan

I'm not saying he definitely should go, but as I'm completing my first ballot yesterday, there are very few viable options at offensive tackle in the NFC.

What 3 tackles in the NFC are definitively having a better year than Baker?

I also had McClure at center even though he isn't having his best season, he is my sentimental pick for having been snubbed - never even made the team as an alternate.

Call me a homer if you want.

Edited by autigerfan

It's only seven games but Baker, according to Stats, Inc and the Washington Post, has NO penalties and only given up 1.5 sacks. At this point, that's better than perennial Pro Bowlers, Joe Thomas (5 penalties, 2 sacks), Jake Long (2 penalties, 3 sacks) and Jordan Gross (1 penalty and 3 sacks). And the Falcons are passing more than those teams (Cleveland, Miami and Carolina) and he's done it against legitimate pass rushers like Trent Cole and Elvis Dummervil.

Next up: DeMarcus Ware, Will Smith, Jean Pierre Paul and Darnell Dockett.

If he can just hold his own against those guys, Baker deserves serious consideration.

Whether he makes it or not, he is significant factor in both Matt and the Falcons success.

That would be the worst thing that could happen to our team. Baker was so bad last year there were thoughts he'd be gone. He's been awesome this season, without a doubt. With it being his last year on his current contract, a Pro Bowl election would raise his pricetag significantly.

Guest Negatorris

It's only seven games but Baker, according to Stats, Inc and the Washington Post, has NO penalties and only given up 1.5 sacks. At this point, that's better than perennial Pro Bowlers, Joe Thomas (5 penalties, 2 sacks), Jake Long (2 penalties, 3 sacks) and Jordan Gross (1 penalty and 3 sacks). And the Falcons are passing more than those teams (Cleveland, Miami and Carolina) and he's done it against legitimate pass rushers like Trent Cole and Elvis Dummervil.

Next up: DeMarcus Ware, Will Smith, Jean Pierre Paul and Darnell Dockett.

If he can just hold his own against those guys, Baker deserves serious consideration.

Whether he makes it or not, he is significant factor in both Matt and the Falcons success.

Me gusta.

Out of 70 offensive tackles in the NFL, he ranks 46th in hurries allowed (14), 18th in hits allowed (2), and 43rd in sacks allowed (3). That being said in terms of pass blocking efficiency for left tackles, he's ranked 26th of the 59 tackles that are eligible on PFF metrics. Don't get me wrong, he's much better than last season (last or second to last in all categories). However, he's still just average (all we need).

For comparison:

(NYG) William Beatty - 1 sack, 0 hits, 10 hurries allowed.

(SEA) Russell Okung - 0 sacks, 0 hits, 10 hurries allowed.

(MIN) Matt Kalil - 1 sack, 2 hits, 8 hurries allowed.

(WAS) Trent Williams - 2 sacks, 0 hits, 8 hurries allowed

Almost forgot about the Giants. Maybe throw Joe Staley in there too, now that I think about it.

He's been better than Staley. Better offensive tackles this year: MIN LT Matt Kalil, NYG LT William Beatty, WAS LT Trent Williams, SEA LT Russell Okung, DET LT Jeff Backus. Being the 6th best tackle in the 16 team NFC isn't bad at all.

Not bad, but not Pro Bowl. LOL

The AFC is a different story, though. Light, Clady, Monroe, Thomas, Long...and that's just off the top of my head. I actually had to do research for the NFC guys, lol

EDIT: D'Brickashaw just came to mind as well. The AFC's OLs are so much better than the NFC's lol. I blame the NFC West.