Matt Ryan Third Most Effective Scrambler According To Espns Qbr

Dr Long Shot

I was browsing the QBR page on ESPN and noticed one of the components that makes up the rating is RUN EPA, which is described as measuring: Clutch-weighted expected points added through scrambles, designed rushes and fumbles/fumble returns on running plays.

Then I sorted the rankings based off of the RUN EPA metric and, lo and behold, our boy Matty Ice, holds the # three spot on the list with an 8.2 ranking, behind only Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin, and just ahead of Aaron Rodgers and well ahead of Mike Vick... Obviously, God only knows how this metric is actually devised and what it measures exactly, but I figured this would be an opportunity to point out how much more effective Ryan has been scrambling this season compared to previous years. His 4.7 yards per carry would rank him 15 in the NFL, just a tenth of a yard behind Aaron Rodgers and four tenths of a yard behind Mike Vick. His 87 rushing yards are top 10 among starting QBs and ranks ahead of the likes of Josh Freeman, Tim Tebow (I know, not a starter but still), Blain Gabbert, and Ben Roethlisberger.

Anyone else pleased by the improvement in this area of his game?

Edited by Dr Long Shot

I was browsing the QBR page on ESPN and noticed one of the components that makes up the rating is RUN EPA, which is described as measuring: Clutch-weighted expected points added through scrambles, designed rushes and fumbles/fumble returns on running plays.

Then I sorted the rankings based off of the RUN EPA metric and, lo and behold, our boy Matty Ice, holds the # three spot on the list with an 8.2 ranking, behind only Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin, and just ahead of Aaron Rodgers and well ahead of Mike Vick... Obviously, God only knows how this metric is actually devised and what it measures exactly, but I figured this would be an opportunity to point out how much more effective Ryan has been scrambling this season compared to previous years. His 4.7 yards per carry would rank him 15 in the NFL, just a tenth of a yard behind Aaron Rodgers and four tenths of a yard behind Mike Vick. His 87 rushing yards are top 10 among starting QBs and ranks ahead of the likes of Josh Freeman, Tim Tebow (I know, not a starter but still), Blain Gabbert, and Ben Roethlisberger.

Anyone else pleased by the improvement in this area of his game?

I like that aspect of his game this year, i dont want a Qb that's gonna scramble 20 times a game, but a couple times a game just to keep the defense honest is great. Ryan knows he isn't going to win a foot race, so he gets what he can and slides or goes out of bounds.

I like that aspect of his game this year, i dont want a Qb that's gonna scramble 20 times a game, but a couple times a game just to keep the defense honest is great. Ryan knows he isn't going to win a foot race, so he gets what he can and slides or goes out of bounds.

He has had some really timely scrambles too, specifically a few during our 2 minute offense to keep the chains moving and put us in position to score. Perhaps that contributes heavily to the rankings.