Role Players Making A Difference: A Sign Of An Elite Team

FalcD56

The Falcons entered today's game as underdogs against the Eagles despite their perfect record. Our Birds left Philly tonight 7-0 and will surely find themselves atop every credible power ranking in the world this week. And to me, this win really solidifies the notion that Atlanta is finally an elite football team.

I lived in New England when the Patriots were going through their dynasty. While I was the furthest thing from a Pats fan, there was one thing I always admired about that team during that era: how seemingly every time they were in a big-game and/or must-win situation they would get strong performances out of their lesser-known role players—performances that would prove to make the difference between a W and a L on many, many occasions.

Sure, Tom Brady would light up opposing defenses, and Tedi Bruschi would make double digit tacklers. But when the other team would push back and force the Pats into a close game, guys like Kevin Faulk Patrick Pass, Larry Izzo and Roman Phifer would make a big play to pull New England over the top.

Today, the Falcons performed extremely similar to the way those Patriots would when they won three Super Bowls in four years.

Drew Freaking Davis scored a beautiful touchdown to set the tone for the rest of the game. Without that incredible play, there's no telling how today would have turned out. But he made a wonderful catch and dragged both feet in bounds to put our Birds up 7-0.

Forget Andy Reid's perfect record after the bye. Forget the rabid fans screaming at our players. Forget the weather that dome teams aren't supposed to play well in. Smith and Co. knew that we were the better team, and Davis' catch was what got that momentum going.

Then there's Jaquizz Rodgers. That little pinball of a man made one of the finest runs I've seen this season with that 43-yarder to help put the final nail in the Eagles' coffin.

And of course the other backup running back, Jason Snelling, scored a nice TD on a short pass from Matt. Each of our backup RBs made a major impact today. Knowing we have these productive guys on the depth chart is huge moving forward—especially with the deteriorating play of Turner.

Additionally, Kroy Biermann, while not necessarily as under-appreicated as the aforementioned players, had himself a phenomenal game today chasing around our old QB.

All in all, I couldn't be more happy with this team right now. I was somewhat cautiously optimistic after three close games after three mediocre teams, but today proved to us and the rest of the world that these guys are an elite team and should be a favorite to hoist the Lombardi trophy in February. And I firmly believe that the difference between having ourselves a good team and an elite one is having this extra depth to work with.

Edited by FalcD56

Good point got to keep everybody involved, never know when they might have to get more playing time Bierman went into beast mode briefly that play where he tripped up #7 thought there was no way even on a sloppy field . Nolan and Koetter are Definately doing something right.

whoever worked on our secondary, whether it be Nolan himself or a new assisstant coach, has done wonders

Probably a combination of the two. Nolan and Danna have done wonders with this Secondary, turning what was arguably the weakest part of out defense into a strength.

doing something in the post season is the sign of an elite team.

Well good just shut-up until we are in post season...meanwhile the rest of the fans of just not the Falcons, the whole NFL will watch the regular season unfold, unless your stating you want the playoffs to start week 8? WTF....GTFOH!!!

Well good just shut-up until we are in post season...meanwhile the rest of the fans of just not the Falcons, the whole NFL will watch the regular season unfold, unless your stating you want the playoffs to start week 8? WTF....GTFOH!!!

awww panties in a wade? can t handle the truth?

Gotta take care of business during the regular season to get invited to the post-season party. One game at a time always is a wise way to go. Right now...lets take care of the cowgirls...they are not worthy of being invited to the party anyway IMHO.

I am pleased that many are contributing to our wins....but afterall, it is a team game...right.