Another Rant About Asking Why Nobody Believes In Us...

Trufant Island

I am confused. Can someone give me an actual reason why we are being doubted so much? The last time I checked the standings we were 6-0, the #1 team in the NFC, the last undefeated team in football, and we are now pretty healthy as we are coming off our bye week. In week 5, we went into Washington and help rookie sensation and MVP contender Robert Griffin III to 91 passing yards and 7 yards rushing through 3 quarters. Then we knocked him out of the fuccking game. Then RG3 went into the Meadowlands in New York and passed for 258 yards and ran for 89 more in a narrow loss to the Giants. The reaction to us winning by 7 against Washington, in the rain, on the road, was that we were overrated and that we didnt deserve to receive any credit for winning that game. Meanwhile, when the Giants won by 4 on their last possesion at home, the reaction was positive.ESPN said, " the Giants still somehow managed to win. It's what they do" WHAT KIND OF BULLSHIIT IS THAT? "ITS WHAT THEY DO?!?!" Im pretty sure that is what we do. We find ways to win games that we should lose. And we get ripped on because of it. I am sick of this garbage. The double standard we face is ridiculous. Peyton Manning picked apart a very good Pittsburgh defense in week 1 and the reaction was that Peyton was fully back and that Denver would have no problem picking us to shreads in our dome. We made the current MVP canidate Peyton Manning look like crap against us. 3 picks in the first quarter in what was a long night for the future HOFer. The reaction to that game was that Peyton no longer has the arm stregth to compete in the NFL and that we dont deserve any credit. Then he goes crazy in San Diego and it is back to praising Peyton. This is freaking gay! When will we get any dam credit?

I am confused. Can someone give me an actual reason why we are being doubted so much? The last time I checked the standings we were 6-0, the #1 team in the NFC, the last undefeated team in football, and we are now pretty healthy as we are coming off our bye week. In week 5, we went into Washington and help rookie sensation and MVP contender Robert Griffin III to 91 passing yards and 7 yards rushing through 3 quarters. Then we knocked him out of the fuccking game. Then RG3 went into the Meadowlands in New York and passed for 258 yards and ran for 89 more in a narrow loss to the Giants. The reaction to us winning by 7 against Washington, in the rain, on the road, was that we were overrated and that we didnt deserve to receive any credit for winning that game. Meanwhile, when the Giants won by 4 on their last possesion at home, the reaction was positive.ESPN said, " the Giants still somehow managed to win. It's what they do" WHAT KIND OF BULLSHIIT IS THAT? "ITS WHAT THEY DO?!?!" Im pretty sure that is what we do. We find ways to win games that we should lose. And we get ripped on because of it. I am sick of this garbage. The double standard we face is ridiculous. Peyton Manning picked apart a very good Pittsburgh defense in week 1 and the reaction was that Peyton was fully back and that Denver would have no problem picking us to shreads in our dome. We made the current MVP canidate Peyton Manning look like crap against us. 3 picks in the first quarter in what was a long night for the future HOFer. The reaction to that game was that Peyton no longer has the arm stregth to compete in the NFL and that we dont deserve any credit. Then he goes crazy in San Diego and it is back to praising Peyton. This is freaking gay! When will we get any dam credit?

When we win a Super Bowl.

When will we get any dam credit?

Answer: When we win a Lombardi

I am the biggest homer here, but I not only understand the doubters, I actually agree with them (in theory anyways).

Why would anyone outside of our fanbase believe in the Atlanta Falcons?

First look as our dismal history. Until the last 5 seasons (counting this one), we were one of the worst sports franchises in history, and definitely the NFL's worst. We used to share that distinction with Tampa and New Orleans, but they absolved themselves with Lombardis. We never had back to back winning seasons? Really?

Next, look at how we have handled the spotlight when we got our time to shine. When we finally got to our only Superbowl, the only fame we get besides losing is Eugene Robinson getting busted trying to hire a hooker while his wife is asleep in the hotel the night before the game. It's not just that we have lost the 3 playoff games in the new era, it's the way we lost. Except for the first one at Arizona, we didn't even look like we belonged in the playoffs at all. They were extremely embarrassing losses that made us look like clowns. On Monday Night Football we hold the distinction of having the highest losing percentage of any team in the NFL.

Now look at this season. After coming out of the gate hard, the whole NFL was ready to anoint us after the first 3 games. They were all talking about Ryan being the leading MVP candidate. Then we looked terrible even though we did win. So everyone expects us to revert back to the standard Falcon model. I don't blame them one bit, and in all honesty, how many of us deep down are worried about that as well.

Finally, the media looks for story lines to attract viewership/readership. They now have made the "doubter" story their key line because it is a good story that attracts attention as evidenced by our continuing posts here. As well as the storylines you see on all the talk shows.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally onboard the homer flagship. But I won't be surprised one bit if we slip back to our old form either. Both lines are shaky right now, and you don't win championships when you are weak in the trenches. The offense looks flat the last 3 games until desperation time arrives, and you can only pull that rabbit out of your hat so many times. Matt does not look nearly as sharp the last 3 games. We have NO running game, and continue to let teams gash us in huge plays on the ground. Nothing in our last 3 games looks like a team challenging for a title, EXCEPT we do find a way to win. I know winning is all that counts, and I have been singing that mantra as much as anyone. But outside our fanbase they are all waiting for us to fall off the cliff.

Edited by FalconFanForLife

Answer: When we win a Lombardi

I am the biggest homer here, but I not only understand the doubters, I actually agree with them (in theory anyways).

Why would anyone outside of our fanbase believe in the Atlanta Falcons?

First look as our dismal history. Until the last 5 seasons (counting this one), we were one of the worst sports franchises in history, and definitely the NFL's worst. We used to share that distinction with Tampa and New Orleans, but they absolved themselves with Lombardis. We never had back to back winning seasons? Really?

Next, look at how we have handled the spotlight when we got our time to shine. When we finally got to our only Superbowl, the only fame we get besides losing is Eugene Robinson getting busted trying to hire a hooker while his wife is asleep in the hotel the night before the game. It's not just that we have lost the 3 playoff games in the new era, it's the way we lost. Except for the first one at Arizona, we didn't even look like we belonged in the playoffs at all. They were extremely embarrassing losses that made us look like clowns. On Monday Night Football we hold the distinction of having the highest losing percentage of any team in the NFL.

Now look at this season. After coming out of the gate hard, the whole NFL was ready to anoint us after the first 3 games. They were all talking about Ryan being the leading MVP candidate. Then we looked terrible even though we did win. So everyone expects us to revert back to the standard Falcon model. I don't blame them one bit, and in all honesty, how many of us deep down are worried about that as well.

Finally, the media looks for story lines to attract viewership/readership. They now have made the "doubter" story their key line because it is a good story that attracts attention as evidenced by our continuing posts here. As well as the storylines you see on all the talk shows.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally onboard the homer flagship. But I won't be surprised one bit if we slip back to our old form either. Both lines are shaky right now, and you don't win championships when you are weak in the trenches. The offense looks flat the last 3 games until desperation time arrives, and you can only pull that rabbit out of your hat so many times. Matt does not look nearly as sharp the last 3 games. We have NO running game, and continue to let teams gash us in huge plays on the ground. Nothing in our last 3 games looks like a team challenging for a title, EXCEPT we do find a way to win. I know winning is all that counts, and I have been singing that mantra as much as anyone. But outside our fanbase they are all waiting for us to fall off the cliff.

nice, but what does any of that crap have to do with this year? NY looks just as inconsistent as us. So does San Fran. I really dont understand how anyonr can say we are "about to fall off a cliff". And I disagree with the fact that Matt has looked bad the last 3 weeks. He looked bad vs. Oakland, but thats it. And we do have a running game. Turner just hasnt gotten his typical amount of carries.

nice, but what does any of that crap have to do with this year? NY looks just as inconsistent as us. So does San Fran. I really dont understand how anyonr can say we are "about to fall off a cliff". And I disagree with the fact that Matt has looked bad the last 3 weeks. He looked bad vs. Oakland, but thats it. And we do have a running game. Turner just hasnt gotten his typical amount of carries.

It has to do with "perception." and the perception of ANYONE outside our fanbase is that we are a teaser team who fails when the big spotlight is on us. Unfortunately, as the history I listed points out this is true. Therefore, I put the "fall off the cliff" analogy as an attempt to capture THEIR attitudes, That is not mine. I do think we have turned a corner, but I do see a team with a ton of questions marks. However, unlike people outside our fanbase, I realize we have new coordinators who are still learning the players strengths and weakness, and how to tweak their schemes. I won't disagree with Matt. I think my viewpoint is biases by one bad game. But can we both agree the running game is extremely non consistent with terrible run blocking? I have my same fear now I had coming into the season: can our O-line win championship games or even games against "good" teams. I have my doubts. It's the same O-line that got owned by the Giants in the playoffs. We don't even try to run in short yardage situation anymore, but rely on the pass instead. When a back like Turner can't get short yardage it's time to raise the eyebrows at the O-line.

Folks get used to this,even a Lombardi won't change this type of coverage, even if Falcons win SB, its because other teams lost and shot themselves in the foot. Its advertising $$$,market size or controversy, get Tebow and Rex Ryan to ATL there will be a media circus. May be if Falcons win few rings, they will get bandwagon fans and become America's team.

Edited by falcons007

When a back like Turner can't get short yardage it's time to raise the eyebrows at the O-line.

You're the posting superstar of this thread...(seriously, you're bringing it in this thread...I agree with just about everything you have written so far)...however, I think it's a combination of both the O-line and Turner. Turner isn't hitting the line with anywhere near the urgency or force that he has in years past. That's not an insult against Turner, Father Time snags all of us....

It has to do with "perception." and the perception of ANYONE outside our fanbase is that we are a teaser team who fails when the big spotlight is on us. Unfortunately, as the history I listed points out this is true. Therefore, I put the "fall off the cliff" analogy as an attempt to capture THEIR attitudes, That is not mine. I do think we have turned a corner, but I do see a team with a ton of questions marks. However, unlike people outside our fanbase, I realize we have new coordinators who are still learning the players strengths and weakness, and how to tweak their schemes. I won't disagree with Matt. I think my viewpoint is biases by one bad game. But can we both agree the running game is extremely non consistent with terrible run blocking? I have my same fear now I had coming into the season: can our O-line win championship games or even games against "good" teams. I have my doubts. It's the same O-line that got owned by the Giants in the playoffs. We don't even try to run in short yardage situation anymore, but rely on the pass instead. When a back like Turner can't get short yardage it's time to raise the eyebrows at the O-line.

You nailed the whole ball of wax in both your posts, but obviously most of the homers here nevertheless refuse to accept the truth of your words. So the whole cycle of idiotic, farcical rants against fans with justifiable doubts about this team will just go on and on and on, ad nauseum. It's pathetic. You'd think all the problems and the pitiful performances of the team are caused by fans instead of the players. They want a scapegoat rather than face reality.

WHEN WE WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS, OR BETTER YET, A SUPER BOWL! Geez, even the Giants are one of the least talked about teams in the NFL even though they are the defending Super Bowl champions.

Edited by JerseyNo12

I caught the same statement all week on new york radio.. Falcons get no respect... but now the jets are suppose to be on the road back.. and the giants are the team to beat...

meanwhile the Falcons are 6-0 and it is all luck..

We need to bury the Eagles.. and then win the game after that.

Today I am reading how the Bucs are back to awesome..

I want us to knock everyone in our division out of the playoffs early.

Edited by realsurfin

Why does it matter whether anyone believes in us? One man's punch bowl is another man's plss pot, it's your choice if you still want to enjoy a drink. I don't care if we're the shakiest, ugliest, most beatable 6-0 team in history because you can't get to 16-0 without going 6-0 first. And it'll gall the **** out of all of the pundits if we keep winning, ugly or not. So screw them and try to enjoy the show.

Doesn't matter the record, it's how you play.

Atlanta has not beaten any good teams yet. Yeah they knock out RG3, but I don't want that. They need to beat them when RG3 is healthy.

Eagles will be the baromter because they have loads of talent and has beaten the Giants and Ravens.

So the fact that the Falcons totally dominated the Redskins offense when RGIII was in the game means absolutely nothing to you?

I came to the sad but true conclusion that ESPN and NFL network just hates Atlanta.. I don't know if you guys gave them food poisoning before or your hotel accommodation suck.. but yeah they really don't like Atlanta.. oh wait let me re phrase that.. they like the Braves.. they don't like the Falcons.. maybe its the Georgia dome.. IDK!