How Are Bye Weeks Determined?

Guest fibonacci

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

I always wondered this but never followed through on looking for the answer. well my wife asked me tonight when the bye weeks are thru. I knew it was week 4 thru 11. but then I feared the next question; "how are they determined".

I have no idea and apparently google does not either. does anyone here?

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

We play a crap-ton of teams coming off bye's this season. It's ridiculous.

It seems we have had a early bye week the last few years. I'm going to check tomorrow. I'm on my phone right now.

And it seems we faced teams coming off bye weeks a lot as well.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/24/nfl-sheds-light-on-bye-week-scheduling-quirks/

Lol eagles have one bad year were they face 4 teams coming off a bye. And they confront the nfl. They really are girls. Egirls.

I know we have had some years like this. And did any of us freak out and call the NFL? Nope. They really are girls.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/24/nfl-sheds-light-on-bye-week-scheduling-quirks/

Lol eagles have one bad year were they face 4 teams coming off a bye. And they confront the nfl. They really are girls. Egirls.

I know we have had some years like this. And did any of us freak out and call the NFL? Nope. They really are girls.

I remember the falcons having a similar issue recently....

But nowhere in that blurb do I see where the Eagles, themselves, complained

Phillymag.com doesn't count

Not sure but for some reason the Falcons take their byes around the same time. Thats how i like it not too soon and not too late.

I remember for a while there in the 90s and early 2000s it seemed like the Falcons always got a bye really early in the season the next year after they had a good year.

You are right. They had a buy in week 15 of 2000

That was because from 1999-2001 there was 31 teams so every week of the season at least 1 team was on bye. In 2001 the Cardinals didn't play in week 1 and then from week 2-17 played 16 straight games.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

That was because from 1999-2001 there was 31 teams so every week of the season at least 1 team was on bye. In 2001 the Cardinals didn't play in week 1 and then from week 2-17 played 16 straight games.

dude you are a great researcher and very knowledgeable. Glad you are on here.

So now tell me how bye are determined. Lol

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

My guess is darts but them seem to have the same tosser cause we seem to always be around week 8.

seems to be that way. Minus the 09 season where it was week 4. But it seems we do face a lot of teams coming off bye's.

So here is another thought. If we face a few teams coming off bye, eagles face 4 teams coming off a bye. Then is there a good few teams that do not have to face anyone coming off a bye?

dude you are a great researcher and very knowledgeable. Glad you are on here.

So now tell me how bye are determined. Lol

Byes are completely random. I don't know if they draw names out of a hat or use lottery balls or what but byes are just random. It's great to see that in the past few years the Falcons have gotten a good bye week right in the middle of the season. There was a time when our byes used to always be really early in the season.

I also remember back in the 90s the NFL used to give all the teams in the same division the same bye week. I used to like that because it made the division races more fair.