Julio Jones

SaintRay

Not hating, but we began discussing him in another thread.

I'd like him on my team, but he is beginning to fuel speculation of doubt.

During the offseason everyone, including the media talking heads, said he was poised to have a monster season, player of the year talk. And that isn't even close to happening.

Here are some comparisionsafter 6 games for talking points, per ESPN Stats:

37 = Receivers have more receiving yards

55 = Receivers have better yards per catch

23 = Receivers have as many of more TD's

113 = Receivers have caught a longer pass

But more telling may be the fact that:

Only 18 Receivers have been targeted more frequently.

... Is he being schemed out of the action on purpose?

... Is he not catching on to the system in place?

... Is he just a highly paid decoy?

And before you go there, I know the Falcons are 6-0 right now. The Falcons gave up a ransom to acquire JJ and is he going to become THAT player.

And of course now that I bring this up, I'm sure he'll have that 90 yard TD this weekend...ph34r.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he has been doubled which he hasn't seen before in his career. That takes some adjusting. He's had a bad case of dropsies. Dropped a couple deep money balls by Ryan. There's a lot of little factors. He'll get there sooner than later.

The knock on him coming out of the draft was he dropped too many balls. Two years later and his MO is the same. Gee, who would have thunk it?

He does drop his share of passes, there's no arguing against that. But he also adds an element to the offense that goes beyond the statistics. Secondaries now have to plan for Julio AND Roddy AND Tony. Of those three, which one would you want to try to minimize for the game? If it's me, I'm gonna do my best to take away the homerun threat (Julio). When he gets the ball in space, he's always going to be a threat to score. Tony and Roddy have stupid crazy stats right now. That's because teams can afford to let them catch the ball. They don't tend to do much once they catch the ball. They're more possession receivers. So yeah, Julio doesn't lead the league in receiving and he may never do that. And yeah, we gave up a lot to get him. But when our offense is actually hitting on all cylinders, we look pretty **** good.

Not hating, but we began discussing him in another thread.

I'd like him on my team, but he is beginning to fuel speculation of doubt.

During the offseason everyone, including the media talking heads, said he was poised to have a monster season, player of the year talk. And that isn't even close to happening.

Here are some comparisionsafter 6 games for talking points, per ESPN Stats:

37 = Receivers have more receiving yards

55 = Receivers have better yards per catch

23 = Receivers have as many of more TD's

113 = Receivers have caught a longer pass

But more telling may be the fact that:

Only 18 Receivers have been targeted more frequently.

... Is he being schemed out of the action on purpose?

... Is he not catching on to the system in place?

... Is he just a highly paid decoy?

And before you go there, I know the Falcons are 6-0 right now. The Falcons gave up a ransom to acquire JJ and is he going to become THAT player.

And of course now that I bring this up, I'm sure he'll have that 90 yard TD this weekend...ph34r.png

He has been doubled a lot. The commentators and even Ryan has said that he has been doubled a lot this season. This is one of the reasons why Tony has been having a great year. During the 1st half of the Washington game he was being doubled a lot, but in the 2nd half they decided to double Roddy and TG and Julio had a big day after that. He has also dropped a couple of tds, and long passes.

The knock on him coming out of the draft was he dropped too many balls. Two years later and his MO is the same. Gee, who would have thunk it?

Julio>any Cowboy receiver.

Edited by #1falconsfan

I think it's a pick your poison thing with the Falcons. As one poster mentioned double JJ, and make Roddy and TG beat you all the way down the field and try to eliminate the long threat, with teams doing that it gives them more chances at creating a turnover or force a punt.

With the work ethic and athletic ability that JJ has I'm not worried. Sure hes had a slow start but its not even half way through the season. Hes getting doubled alot but unless teams want to keep getting burned by Roddy and TG they'll have to change their game plan. Like Roddy said, "Pick yo poison!"

When he gets the ball in space, he's always going to be a threat to score. Tony and Roddy have stupid crazy stats right now. That's because teams can afford to let them catch the ball. They don't tend to do much once they catch the ball. They're more possession receivers.

Is this your opinion?

Because TG averages 3.09 yards after every catch he's had this year. JJ averages 3.43 yards after every catch, or about a foot further.

I wouldn't call JJ a big threat after he catches the ball based on his performance this year.

He's dropped atleast 200 yards and 2 TD's so that's part of it. Also him being doubled and bracketed constantly. That being said there was several catches he should have made even while being doubled. He has to hold on to that ball better.

This is precisely my point. Drops count in your production or lack of. This was a well-known fault coming out of college and it continues in the NFL. His production is very middle of the pack.

Is he perhaps a bit overrated?

Decoy hmm?

Bingo.... Odd white hardly gets targeted then all a sudden he is alwasy targeted. Yes Jones gets doubled but many suspected the hand injury was worse than the falcons let on. To use him as a secoy for White.

There was more to Jones sudden drop in performance than saying "he is having a bad season". It was clear all off season a major focus was gonna be on getting Jones the balls. Then all a sudden out of no where white and jones switch sides and Jones hardly gets trageted while white gets targeted constantly. He also gets a case of the drops the few time he was targeted.

But its a good problem to have. 1 of the best wrs on the NFL as a #1 and a upcoming WR who gets more attention.

But why force to Jones there is still Tony G the best TE eva!

imo,him not being an above average route runner yet has something to do with it,him being doubled alot is another thing,and even though hes dropped a few,hes also made some catches only a few others are capable of...he will get better with experience,but he hasnt put up the #s we were hoping for...as long as we are winning the #s dont matter as much right now because the team #s are what counts,which are 6-0...with the toughest part of our schedule ahead

Bingo.... Odd white hardly gets targeted then all a sudden he is alwasy targeted. Yes Jones gets doubled but many suspected the hand injury was worse than the falcons let on. To use him as a secoy for White.

There was more to Jones sudden drop in performance than saying "he is having a bad season". It was clear all off season a major focus was gonna be on getting Jones the balls. Then all a sudden out of no where white and jones switch sides and Jones hardly gets trageted while white gets targeted constantly. He also gets a case of the drops the few time he was targeted.

But its a good problem to have. 1 of the best wrs on the NFL as a #1 and a upcoming WR who gets more attention.

Is this your opinion?

Because here are the actual stats for number of times all three guys have been targeted:

JJ = 54 times

TG = 54 times

RW = 53 times

Something doesn't add up.

imo,him not being an above average route runner yet has something to do with it,him being doubled alot is another thing,and even though hes dropped a few,hes also made some catches only a few others are capable of...he will get better with experience,but he hasnt put up the #s we were hoping for...as long as we are winning the #s dont matter as much right now because the team #s are what counts,which are 6-0...with the toughest part of our schedule ahead

I tend to agree with you. Fair assessment on the route running and drops.

Great receivers destroy double teams...see Moss, Rice, Harrison, Green, Fitzgerald, A. Johnson, Megatron, Boldin and more.

It's making a mountain out of a molehill as long as he's successfully drawing attention away from Roddy and Gonzo and we're winning games. He's had a couple rough games this year but we're not relying on him to dominate statistically and there hasn't really been a need to force the ball to him.