Kutty Ready For Wide Tackle 9

Tuggle'2

Atlanta Falcons: Koetter ready to face the ‘Wide Tackle Nine’

10:38 am October 24, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

Koetter-300x198.jpg

OC Dirk Koetter is in search of that perfect game.

FLOWERY BRANCH –Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter said the offense is search of that perfect game.

He knows achieving that goal will be difficult against a talented Eagles’ defense that will be playing its first game under new defensive coordinator Todd Bowles when the Falcons face the Eagles at 1 p.m. Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field.

Here are some excerpts from Koetter’s weekly media session.

Q: What were you all able to ascertain from your bye-week self scout?

A: When you’ve got a week to study yourself, you can spin those numbers and spin those plays a lot of different ways. I would choose to keep some of those findings to myself, but we want to run the ball better, we want to pass it better and we want to score more points. We definitely have not played our best football on offense yet. We studied ourselves across the board in every situation. We need to get better across the board and I’m confident that they guys will try to do that.

Q: What does Coach Smith mean when he says he wants to be a scoring offense?

A: It’s just human nature. The runners want to run more. The passers want to run more. The catchers want to catch more. That’s how it is on every team. We’re always in search of the perfect game and we haven’t found it yet.

Q: Do you attack the Philadelphia cornerbacks?

A: They definitely have two outstanding corners. Unless they are going to play three corners, they can’t put a corner on all three of our guys. Matchups are one of the key parts of this game. Every game has some plus and minus matchups for both sides. They have two awesome corners and they’ve been matching them on wideouts. I haven’t seen them matching them on tight ends this year, but anything is possible.

Q: Can you define the ‘Wide Tackle Nine’ defense for the fans?

A: Well, Coach (Jim) Washburn, we played against him when I was at Jacksonville and he was at Tennessee. The wide nine is a defensive end playing outside of your tight end alignment. Conventional defensive ends play the inside eye or head up, face to face with your tight end. They play their defensive ends outside of your tight end and they violently crash down through the outside eye of the tight end and try to squeeze the offense and get up the field and pressure the quarterback. They are very good at it.

Q: How important will the battle on third down be in order to sustain drives.

A: Real important. They are one of the best teams at stopping an offense on third down. We’ve been one of the top five teams at converting third downs. Whoever wins that matchup and turnovers will be the keys to that game.

Q: What had Demeco Ryans added to that defense?

A: He sort of a quarterback to the defense. He’s actually their leading tackler right now. Very smart, instinctive players. Always seems to be in position. It’s hard to get him out of positions. They leave him on the field in (nickel) which is unusual that the middle linebacker stays on in nickel situations. That shows how much they think of his ability. This guys is a top flight middle linebacker in the league.

Q: How much has the defensive coordinator change affected your preparation?

A: That’s the million dollar question this week because you don’t really know the answer. All we can go with is what they have been doing so far. Obviously, there is going to be some kind of a change or they wouldn’t have changed coordinators. The talk seems to be is that they are going to become more of a pressure team. They have not been a big pressure team in terms of how many guys they rush. But they do put a lot of pressure on the quarterback with the four-man rush, as good as any team in the league. So, I guess if I was reading between the lines, I would say they are going to blitz more. We don’t know because even though Coach Bowles has done a lot in his career, he’s not called the defenses as a coordinator before that I know of. So we’re going to be learning about his tendencies for the first time and we’ll just have to adjust the best that we can.

Q: Jason Babin and Trent Cole’s numbers are down, but are they still playing at a high level?

A: Yes, they are. More than any team that we play, they are two deep on their d-line and they play their second unit more than most teams. They do a good job of keeping their guys fresh and their second unit is extremely talented as well. They’ve got a first-round draft pick in their second wave. They are comparable to a hockey line. They just roll the next group in there. They have four or five very capable defensive ends.

Q: How is Cullen Jenkins playing for them?

A: I don’t think he has a sack to date, but you just would not know it from watching the tape. He’s a very disruptive player. It’s going to be a big challenge for our offensive line and our entire offensive team to deal with that front.

Q: Where Matt Ryan’s interceptions against Oakland a result of pressure between the A and B gaps?

A: The three interceptions last week. Matt just didn’t read it correctly. We had two other guys open and we threw to wrong guy and the (Oakland) guy made a nice play. One of them, we misidentified it and they did blitz us through the A gap. We did plenty of blockers. We just blocked the wrong guys. They hit Matt right as he was throwing and the third interception on the deep ball was a bad call by me. I shouldn’t have had us in that play. It was three different causes for those interceptions. They may or may not blitz us more, but I don’t think it will be because of that.

Q: Do you all want to get Tony Gonzalez his 100th touchdown?

A: I would love to get it. We wanted to get it in the last game. We are working on it.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/10/24/atlanta-falcons-koetter-ready-to-face-the-wide-tackle-nine/

Edited by Tuggle2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Smitty's answers are an acquired understanding.

Like Jerry's knee injury,

"He is fine and ahead of schedule with his rehab."

Right , Smitty requires translation.

Koetter seems to have a good amount of confidence and understand about whats ahead. Sunday can't come soon enough.

Q: Where Matt Ryan’s interceptions against Oakland a result of pressure between the A and B gaps?

A: The three interceptions last week. Matt just didn’t read it correctly. We had two other guys open and we threw to wrong guy and the (Oakland) guy made a nice play. One of them, we misidentified it and they did blitz us through the A gap. We did plenty of blockers. We just blocked the wrong guys. They hit Matt right as he was throwing and the third interception on the deep ball was a bad call by me. I shouldn’t have had us in that play. It was three different causes for those interceptions. They may or may not blitz us more, but I don’t think it will be because of that.

I like this answer how he doesn't point to one person or thing that was the issue there but a collection of a bunch of different things and even took some of the blame himself. The defensive change affecting your preparation was a good question and answer too. One of the things I was curious about because with a new guy calling plays not everything you see on tape is going to be as consistent. The looks might be the same but the tendencies of two different play callers is what you can't prepare for.

Edited by JBourneMurkedU

Guest Negatorris

I really hope Ryan took advantage of this BYE, and I believe he would be the type do so. Big game incoming.

I like this answer how he doesn't point to one person or thing that was the issue there but a collection of a bunch of different things and even took some of the blame himself.

I like how he held Matt accountable. Thats what Matt needs. Heck , thats what everyone needs. Im sure Matt likes it too. Thats always what seems to motivate him to get better and fix things.

After reading Koetter's remarks, If I were a betting man I'd be taking Philly. The Wide 9 will be virtually impossible for the offensive line to deal with and it will take a miracle for Ryan not to get de-cleated by their defensive line. Their corners are fantastic and will be able to cover our receivers like a blanket. He also accepted blame for calling the wrong play on one of Ryan's interceptions vs Oakland, but also said on one of the other INT's that Ryan threw into tight coverage when there were two other receivers wide open on the play. Not exactly encouraging. If the players have been getting fed a steady diet of this gloom and doom they're probably already chalking this game up as their first L of the season.

After reading Koetter's remarks, If I were a betting man I'd be taking Philly. The Wide 9 will be virtually impossible for the offensive line to deal with and it will take a miracle for Ryan not to get de-cleated by their defensive line. Their corners are fantastic and will be able to cover our receivers like a blanket. He also accepted blame for calling the wrong play on one of Ryan's interceptions vs Oakland, but also said on one of the other INT's that Ryan threw into tight coverage when there were two other receivers wide open on the play. Not exactly encouraging. If the players have been getting fed a steady diet of this gloom and doom they're probably already chalking this game up as their first L of the season.

Wow , that is the exact opposite of what I got out of it.

I mean wow. I got that they self audited , addressed problems , and did everything in their power to fix said problems. He held everyone accountable for their mistakes including himself. That what a coach is supposed to do. I don't get what you wanted to hear? Some coach speak that you have to decipher in order to understand?

The entire team seams incredibly hyped. If this is their way of " chalking up a L " then they sure as heck show it funny. I absolutely disagree with what you just said there. That is way of basis.

That's what you got from him? Really? If they spent the bye week addressing those issues, which was a clear statement with the self evaluation, those types of situations are less likely. Our line was worse last year than this year especially early in the season. Also Ryan is better this year and Vick has regressed. If you were a betting man you'd lose that bet.

I mean wow. I got that they self audited , addressed problems , and did everything in their power to fix said problems. He held everyone accountable for their mistakes including himself. That what a coach is supposed to do. I don't get what you wanted to hear? Some coach speak that you have to decipher in order to understand?

The entire team seams incredibly hyped. If this is their way of " chalking up a L " then they sure as heck show it funny. I absolutely disagree with what you just said there. That is way of basis.

Beat me to it!

I mean ...lol

He was so off the mark It makes me think he was trolling or something. I dont know. laugh.png

I don't post much, I prefer to read. Having said that, I get Pokersteve is a realist and all, but how in the world do you get that conclusion? I thought it was legitamely another troll poster until I read the name again!

Here are the statements that I based my conclusions on, along with the overall tone of the interview:

"They definitely have two outstanding corners..." "They have two awesome corners and they’ve been matching them on wideouts..." "They play their defensive ends outside of your tight end and they violently crash down through the outside eye of the tight end and try to squeeze the offense and get up the field and pressure the quarterback. They are very good at it..." "They are one of the best teams at stopping an offense on third down..." "... they do put a lot of pressure on the quarterback with the four-man rush, as good as any team in the league." And more on the defensive line ~ "It’s going to be a big challenge for our offensive line and our entire offensive team to deal with that front..."

I definitely didn't get doom and gloom from it. The main part I got besides taking accountability for the mistakes in the oak game was Philly has TWO very good corners and they dont use three, but they can't cover everybody and I've never seen them cover a TE. In other words...Pick your poison.

Edited by TheFatboi

Here are the statements that I based my conclusions on, along with the overall tone of the interview:

"They definitely have two outstanding corners..." "They have two awesome corners and they’ve been matching them on wideouts..." "They play their defensive ends outside of your tight end and they violently crash down through the outside eye of the tight end and try to squeeze the offense and get up the field and pressure the quarterback. They are very good at it..." "They are one of the best teams at stopping an offense on third down..." "... they do put a lot of pressure on the quarterback with the four-man rush, as good as any team in the league." And more on the defensive line ~ "It’s going to be a big challenge for our offensive line and our entire offensive team to deal with that front..."

To me he sounded like he expects them to blitz more because the wide nine isn't getting to the qb like it did last year. Babins numbers are down, Coles numbers are down, and Jenkins doesn't even have a sack yet. Sounded like he liked our chances vs the wide nine.

Guest Negatorris

I'm pretty sure if you have ever played sports in your life, you were probably the worst locker room presence ever.

To me he sounded like he expects them to blitz more because the wide nine isn't getting to the qb like it did last year. Babins numbers are down, Coles numbers are down, and Jenkins doesn't even have a sack yet. Sounded like he liked our chances vs the wide nine.

Yea , I took it as him sounding confident and well studied.

Yea , I took it as him sounding confident and well studied.

Definitely. And they really dug deep in evaluating themselves. Matt hates to make mistakes and he takes blame when he does. If Matt can use no huddle he'll get a good read on where the blitzes are coming from. The players may have been off but I have a suspicion the coaches worked overtime and Matt did nothing but study film. He's hungry and he has a chip on his shoulders.