Atlanta Falcons: Nolan Thinks Eagles’ Offense Is A ’Sleeping Giant’

falcons007

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/10/24/atlanta-falcons-nolan-thinks-eagles-offense-is-a-sleeping-giant/

Atlanta Falcons: Nolan thinks Eagles’ offense is a ’sleeping giant’

10:58 am October 24, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

nolan-300x252.jpg

Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan (right) talks with head coach Mike Smith during a June practice. He has not had much success against Peyton Manning in past. JASON GETZ / JGETZ@AJC.COM

FLOWERY BRANCH — Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan would like to see the defensive line become more active in stopping the run.

Too many runs are reaching the second level of the defense and that has contributed to the missed tackles and unit’s inability to stop the run. The Falcons are giving up 143.8 yards rushing per game, which ranks 28th in the league.

Here are some excerpts from Nolan’s weekly media session:

Q: What makes the Philadelphia offense tick?

A: They have very good skill players and a very good scheme. They’ve been good for a long time. …They’ve got very good wide receivers. Michael Vick has been a very good addition. They are very explosive on offense. The West Coast offense is geared to get the player the ball as quickly as possible. I think they do a great job of that. Outside of the deep balls that they throw, it’s a diverse attack.

Q: How do you view DeSean Jackson and Macklin as a wide receiver tandem?

A: They are as good as there is in the league. They have their own strengths and weaknesses. They are different from our guys. But I think they are very good. Jackson has outstanding speed. I remember when he came out of Cal. He was right across the Bay from us at the time. He’s probably as quick and fast down the field as anybody. He’s very good in that respect. Macklin also has very good speed, but he’s a bigger guy. They are very competitive players. A guy that is not mentioned that much who does a great job for them is (Jason) Avant in the slot. He’s an outstanding player. He doesn’t start, but does start in their 11 personnel (1 back, 1 tight end, 3 wide receivers) and that’s their base personnel anyway. They’ve got three very good ones on the field most of the time.

Q: The Eagles have compiled a lot of yards (379 per game), but haven’t scored a lot of points (17.2 per game). Do they have a hard time finishing drives?

A: It’s surprising when you watch the tape. It’s surprising to me that they haven’t scored as much because they move the ball very well. I don’t know exactly what their issue is. They’d know best what it’s been. They are a sleeping giant in a lot of cases as far as their offensive output. They have always been good on offense. They have been good since Andy (Reid) got there. Marty Mornhinweg, who does a lot of the offensive work, but doesn’t get much credit for it, does an outstanding job game-planning. He’s one of the top coordinators in the league. I think he’s got as much to do with their prowess as anyone.

Q: How do you fix the missed tackles?

A: For one, you don’t want as many balls on the second level. There are a lot of balls on the second level. But outside of that, a lot of it takes focus. It’s no different than stripping the ball and getting turnovers. If you’re not thinking about the ball, it surprises you when it becomes available. It’s the same thing with tackling, if you’re think you’re a secondary kind of a player and not a primary guy then sometimes a tackle will surprise you and you won’t have a great path to the ball. We did do a poor job last week and it hasn’t been a strength for us this season. We’ve had some better games. We’ve missed our share. It’s just something that you have to keep working on.

Q: Can the return of Corey Peters help the run defense?

A: It’s good to see him back out there. I’m kind of anxious to see him work. I’m kind of eager to see how he practices as well, but he did have a significant foot injury. We have to ease him back into things. But like I said, I’m eager to see him out there. It’s uncertain right now if he’ll be (active) or not.

Q: Are you worried about Asante (Samuel) going against his old team and maybe trying to do too much?

A: I worry about everything. From my point, it’s just a big challenge to play these guys. But it’s a thing where they are going to feel that they can do some things on Asante as well. They are going to come at him with things that they think are his deficiencies. You have to always take that into consideration when they are on offense. If you just look at what you do well and try to do your thing, they are looking at you in a different way. You have to turn it around and get in position to have a good game, which I think he’ll do. He’s great. Asante is a Pro.

Q: What is your evaluation of Eagles new defensive coordinator Todd Bowles?

A: I think Todd is one of the more intelligent coaches in the NFL. He’s very smart. I believe he’s a Temple grad. He is smart. I’ve coached with him twice. I coached with him at the Jets for a year and I coached with him the last two years in Miami. The very first thing that comes to mind is that Todd is a bright guy. He’s been hoping to get the opportunity to be a coordinator. He’s interviewed over the last several years a few times and it just hasn’t worked out. I think he’s anxious to do it and eager to do a good job, which I think he will. Until a guy does it, it’s hard to really say what his capabilities are because putting it together is one thing. Calling it, is another thing. So, we’ll have to wait and see. As far as, the Xs and Os, that type of thing, he’s as good as anybody.

Q: Is Michael Vick playing much better against the blitz?

A: Michael does a good job of moving around. He keeps plays alive. The thing with Michael and the blitz is that he’ll make two or three guys miss. That’s the challenge when you do blitz. That’s why some guys don’t blitz him as much. It would be the same against Cam Newton. It would be the same against any guy who can move. …When the player is an elusive guy you. … have to pick your poison.

Good interview, gives a little of of insight as to how intelligent and detail-oriented Nolan is and how much he respects other coaches and opponents. With that said, I think we'll be well prepared to whoop some Eagle ***.

Yeah they posted Audio on AF.com and saw AJC published a transcript. I hope we confuse heck out of Vick like the Broncos game.

Guest Negatorris

Something to make every else more at ease. Last year Nolan's defense limited Vick to this stat line:

15/30 208 Yards 50% CMP 6.93 Yds/AVG 1 TD 1 INT 32.6 QBR

Vick sucks even more in 2012.

Lesean McCoy's stat line against Nolan last season:

27 Carries 28 Yards 1.4 YPC 2 TDs

I would expect that to look better against us though. Last year Shady had a pretty good game against us early in the season, when our run D was at its best. The Eagles are obviously going to have to beat us with McCoy. Vick won't get the job done, and if we limit Vick's numbers to the ones above, I see no reason why we wouldn't be able to win this game.

Something to make every else more at ease. Last year Nolan's defense limited Vick to this stat line:

15/30 208 Yards 50% CMP 6.93 Yds/AVG 1 TD 1 INT 32.6 QBR

Vick sucks even more in 2012.

Lesean McCoy's stat line against Nolan last season:

27 Carries 28 Yards 1.4 YPC 2 TDs

I would expect that to look better against us though. Last year Shady had a pretty good game against us early in the season, when our run D was at its best. The Eagles are obviously going to have to beat us with McCoy. Vick won't get the job done, and if we limit Vick's numbers to the ones above, I see no reason why we wouldn't be able to win this game.

I was curious how Nolan has handled them before thanks. It looks like he does well.

We need Ryan to bring his A game... INT free... He has thrown INT in the last 4 games now..

They normally come in bunches. Im hoping the bye is what he needed to get that crap out of him.

The Eagles' offense is indeed a sleeping giant. I know Vick & Co. have yet to get things going, but they have too much talent on the offensive side of the ball to not get it together at some point.

Last year, it took their defense about ten games to get it rolling, so it might just be a bit of a role reversal this season.

Q: The Eagles have compiled a lot of yards (379 per game), but haven’t scored a lot of points (17.2 per game). Do they have a hard time finishing drives?

A: It’s surprising when you watch the tape. It’s surprising to me that they haven’t scored as much because they move the ball very well. I don’t know exactly what their issue is. They’d know best what it’s been. They are a sleeping giant in a lot of cases as far as their offensive output. They have always been good on offense. They have been good since Andy (Reid) got there. Marty Mornhinweg, who does a lot of the offensive work, but doesn’t get much credit for it, does an outstanding job game-planning. He’s one of the top coordinators in the league. I think he’s got as much to do with their prowess as anyone.

Just a stab in the dark here, but it might be that nearly a quarter of their drives end with a Vick turnover.

Nice interview: thanks for posting it. I always enjoy hearing from him as he seems to give more insight to his thinking than some of the other coaches. I was especially interested to hear him say the line has to do more to stop the run. But it is very troubling really to realize that once again we have severe weaknesses on both sides of the lines when we hope to be a playoff contender. Ryan gets a lot of heat about our playoff woes, and rightfully so, but many peeps just seem to overlook at how weak our lines have played in those losses.

I know the Eagle have a ton of talent on offense, so it is a scary game for us. You never know when a team will put it all together. But I never have thought Vick was much of a student of the game, so I hope Nolan can confuse him. Regardless, we need our offense to get back on track, and then it won't matter what the Eagles offense does as I know we can beat them in a shootout when we are clicking on the O.

Nice interview: thanks for posting it. I always enjoy hearing from him as he seems to give more insight to his thinking than some of the other coaches. I was especially interested to hear him say the line has to do more to stop the run. But it is very troubling really to realize that once again we have severe weaknesses on both sides of the lines when we hope to be a playoff contender. Ryan gets a lot of heat about our playoff woes, and rightfully so, but many peeps just seem to overlook at how weak our lines have played in those losses.

I know the Eagle have a ton of talent on offense, so it is a scary game for us. You never know when a team will put it all together. But I never have thought Vick was much of a student of the game, so I hope Nolan can confuse him. Regardless, we need our offense to get back on track, and then it won't matter what the Eagles offense does as I know we can beat them in a shootout when we are clicking on the O.

I pay close attention to Nolan's interviews. The man speaks his mind unlike Mike Smith. Nolan said he wants 3 Cb and got Asante, made a statement about lack of safety depth and next week Falcons signed Chris Hope. I ma more scared of Andy Reid who is desperate and might come up with some crazy a$$ plays.