Effort Vs. Advantage

Nono

I know there has always been a lot of talk about fortunate persons who's parents were wealthy had the right friends and went to the right schools but I still believe that here in America in 2012 despite not having these things that no matter who you are (myself) that with continual hard work and honesty you can still rise to the top or pretty close. It may take a lot longer but in the end good work skills and effort are more important than advantage every time.

Thats been my lifes road and proud of it although I have a ways to go to reach a comfort range

Edited by Nono

I know there has always been a lot of talk about fortunate persons who's parents were wealthy had the right friends and went to the right schools but I still believe that here in America in 2012 despite not having these things that no matter who you are (myself) that with continual hard work and honesty you can still rise to the top or pretty close. It may take a lot longer but in the end good work skills and effort are more important than advantage every time.

Thats been my lifes road and proud of it although I have a ways to go to reach a comfort range

I used to feel this way... Then you realize a few things. How do you know to put in that kind of effort when you have been out on a path to failure by others? You start as a child, but your parents for whatever reason dont teach you any basic reading and math... You hit kindergarten excited and ready to learn, but either you aren't getting it or because of home issues are acting out in class and missing valuable time because you are in timeout... Now you are behind and in the 1st grade and almost have no hope of catching up without parental intervention. The gap widens and boom you drop out or have a baby at 16... Now it's babies having babies... And without proper knowledge, the cycle continues...

I used to feel this way... Then you realize a few things. How do you know to put in that kind of effort when you have been out on a path to failure by others? You start as a child, but your parents for whatever reason dont teach you any basic reading and math... You hit kindergarten excited and ready to learn, but either you aren't getting it or because of home issues are acting out in class and missing valuable time because you are in timeout... Now you are behind and in the 1st grade and almost have no hope of catching up without parental intervention. The gap widens and boom you drop out or have a baby at 16... Now it's babies having babies... And without proper knowledge, the cycle continues...

You called it Nazxi Germany's eugenics when I suggested that poverty should be bred out. Is there any better example of why it should happen than the one you just provided?

If you have a child, why would you not give them EVERY single tool at your disposal to make sure they succeed?

You called it Nazxi Germany's eugenics when I suggested that poverty should be bred out. Is there any better example of why it should happen than the one you just provided?

If you have a child, why would you not give them EVERY single tool at your disposal to make sure they succeed?

Some people don't care or have the time to care... My wife came from a poor family... If what you said was true we would have never met... But they cared for her education.

There should be a program to auto put someone on birth control if they cannot care for their one child. I don't mind helping someone who had one pregnancy before they were ready... It's another thing when it's 3 or 4 they weren't ready for...

Was at my old church a few months ago and I saw the affect of a mom who had 5 kids mostly by different men. The oldest is wearing tight clothes to church with huge hills... I hope the younger siblings turn out okay...

I can't fathom why, but it's obvious that lots of people don't. We have to deal with reality, not a fantasy world where everyone does what we think they should do.

Statistically, upward mobility has declined for America and is lower than the majority of industrialized nations.

How do you suggest breeding it out?

Birth control requirement for anyone on public assistance. If you can't afford to support yourself, should you really be "free" to have children?

It's totally over the top, and patently ridiculous.

I know! We as tax payers should TOTALLY support someone's "right" to make babies that they can't afford, further perpetuating a system of welfare while simultaneously handicapping any ability to overcome poverty.

Perhaps you could give a few good reasons as to why birth control shouldn't be mandatory for someone that admittedly cannot support their own physical presence on this earth.

To clarify, I assume based on your prior comments you mean mandatory if one wishes to receive public assistance, and not just mandatory without regard to that?

That's some serious irony coming from a guy that supports abortion.

Not that I am for abortion, but unless he advocates an abortion policy like China, it is vastly different. Allowing someone to have the choice to terminate their own pregnancy is different than forcing someone else to.

Not that I am for abortion, but unless he advocates an abortion policy like China, it is vastly different. Allowing someone to have the choice to terminate their own pregnancy is different than forcing someone else to.

His statement was that it's inhumane to require birth control of someone that voluntarily accepts welfare. Yet he supports the humanity behind someone voluntarily terminating a pregnancy.