Favorite Bands: Aging Gracefully V. Not So Much . . .

HolyMoses

Inspired by the "Guns & Blowses" thread . . . .

Gracefully . . . . Jason and the Nashville Scorchers light it up ever time I see them, even thirty years later, which is remarkable for a cowpunk, high energy band. Jason and Warren never mail it and and manage to bring the intensity every time.

Not so much . . . Jesus and Mary Chain. I had to give up on them even though they are pretty much my favorite band EVER when their show in . . . like 2003? was something straight out of "This is Spinal Tap" plus William Reed completely turned into Jackie Mason, NOT a pretty sight on stage for a guitar band.300px-William_Reid.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, Hall of Fame, at 86 years old, B.B. King still kills it. I saw him at Chastain with the Tedeschi Trucks Band, and he straight killed it.

Haven't seen any "not so much," but a buddy of mine saw Van Morrison and said he was terrible. Which made me really, really sad.

And, Hall of Fame, at 86 years old, B.B. King still kills it. I saw him at Chastain with the Tedeschi Trucks Band, and he straight killed it.

Haven't seen any "not so much," but a buddy of mine saw Van Morrison and said he was terrible. Which made me really, really sad.

Unfortunately, Buddy Guy mailed it in the last couple of times we saw him, but I think if you are ripping it until 60+, much less 80+, you have aged gracefully as a musician.

I saw BB a few months ago in Columbus and he didn't look good. Looked frail, hit several bad notes. Of course 98% of the rest of his notes were incredible, but I was a little disappointed.

Inspired by the "Guns & Blowses" thread . . . .

Gracefully . . . . Jason and the Nashville Scorchers light it up ever time I see them, even thirty years later, which is remarkable for a cowpunk, high energy band. Jason and Warren never mail it and and manage to bring the intensity every time.

Not so much . . . Jesus and Mary Chain. I had to give up on them even though they are pretty much my favorite band EVER when their show in . . . like 2003? was something straight out of "This is Spinal Tap" plus William Reed completely turned into Jackie Mason, NOT a pretty sight on stage for a guitar band.300px-William_Reid.jpg

I played bass in a band called Snatches of Pink that played with Jason & the Scorchers a good bit back in the day. We only played with them once during the time I was in the band, but they were indeed rock solid.

My current band just played a festival in Raleigh in October that Jesus & Mary Chain headlined. By all accounts, their performance was pretty pathetic.

Edited by k-train

I'm a Who fan, but they should have hung it up after Entwistle died. The fact they still tour as "The Who" is kind of a rip off in my opinion. Daltrey's voice seems to be shot to boot.

That's how I feel about this Zep reunion crap. I saw the previews for that Celebration Day footage/movie thing & was really bummed.

This may be blasphemy to some but I think the Rolling Stones should have hung it up a long, long time ago.

Musicians/Bands that have aged well:

Eric Clapton - ageless it seems

Phish biggrin.png

Aerosmith - the older Aerosmith has had even more commercial success than the younger one I think... Not sure what they are doing now though...

Musicians/Bands that should have hung it up a while back:

Guns N Roses (obviously)

The Rolling Stones

Bob Dylan

Ozzy Osbourne - For a while he was still good in his older age (No More Tears, etc...) but now he looks like a senile old man walking around lost on the stage.

The Who - Please stop... Old man Townsend smashing a guitar is just kinda wrong.

Jefferson Airplane - Was surprised to find out they still exist.

Musicians/Bands that maybe should have hung it up (depending on who you ask):

Metallica - Totally different audience then when they started. If you're an old school Metallica fan ya you wanted them to hang it up a while ago. But if you're a newer one you probably like what they're doing.

Van Halen - Some people love the new reunion, some hate it.

Led Zeppelin - Judging by previous of the new show/video they seem to still have it. But they have definitely aged...a lot....

Lynard Skynard - Is it still good? Depends on who you ask.

I can pretty much get behind this list. Stones are pretty much 1A or 1B along with the Beatles for me as all-time favorite, but they haven't been good in quite some time. I wish they'd do more side projects. Mick would probably do better with a younger backing band, and Keef could kick all sorts of *** with any number of bands.

With regards to "aging gracefully" this thread ends HERE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juuUU7F5AOA

Anyone disagree?

I didn't think so.

Not a big Foo Fighters fan, but Joan Jett has been killing it live for as long as I can remember.

I saw her in 1988 opening for Robert Plant at the Omni, and she absolutely tore it up. I think she's actually improved with age. We didn't catch the Friday lineup at Music Midtown, and I was very disappointed that my 80's memories were limited to Adam Ant rather than Joan Jett.

I have to tip my hat to Zeppelin. They DID hang it up when Bonham killed himself. They could have gone a tour after their 02 renunion for Ahmet and made 100's of millions of dollars too but chose not to do it.

I'll have to throw in my vote for ageing gracefully for them.

I believe they sounded pretty good at their last concert too. I think they are wise not to go on a nostalgia tour though. They are too old and it would be impossible to recreate the 70's. It's impossible to replace Bonham as well. Jason did a good job, but he is not his father.

Aging gracefully -- Drivin' n' Cryin'. They always put on a great show. I was there for this one:

That's odd you mention them. I was listening to "Let's Go Dancing" the other night, and wondered what had become of them.

Musicians/Bands that have aged well:

Phish biggrin.png

I'm not sure what to make of Phish these days. I saw them when they played in Denver over the summer. They are definately playing more technically proficent than they have in years, but it was kind of boring. It didn't have that "what are they going to do next" feel it had in the older days. It was very rehearsed which took away from the organic/spontaneous vibe they use to have. I blame their sobriety for that.

Are you sure it wasn't YOUR sobriety to blame?

Who said I was sober. tongue.png

Actually, I'm sure the fact I'm turning into a bitter old man played into it, but it was so cut and dry it just wasn't interesting to me. They only jammed out one song, and that wasn't even much of a jam. I still think they are an amazing group of musicians, but even if I didn't have a wife/job/house/life, I wouldn't take a summer off to tour with them anymore.

Yes to Phish for me as well.

opensourse it's all about the particular show. I've been eying the setlists over the past few tours and yes there are shows that are chalk full of shorter more rocked out versions of songs but then there are some sets with three sometimes four songs of 15+min. I find their variety is very good as well as the fact that they are certainly still streching long jams out of their classics like Tweezer, Bathtub Gin, Sand, Runaway Jim, Antelope, Maze, Reba etc etc...